Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Slightly confused (perpetual state )

Will an April 23 flight booked on DL with my AS # still receive AS credit?
Yes.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by nomii
If I'm standing in front of the gate agent to help put me on standby that'll work? Is is a big hassle to do so?
yes they are very likely to help you out if you are just asking for a nonstop flight. they probably would not be willing to put you on a connection via PDX, for instance, however.

i dont know how much of a "hassle" it is for the GA, but my guess is "not much"
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Silly, irrelevant question:

Whenever I fly JFK<>SEA on AS, I see names on the standby list. As I understand it, nobody could do same-day standby on that flight because there's only one flight per day and coterminal standby isn't allowed. So...who's on the standby list? Nonrevs and buddy pass recipients, perhaps?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Kufat
Nonrevs and buddy pass recipients, perhaps?
Correct.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:31 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

So being a Virgin America gold, I was made an Alaska gold for a year and given a 10,000 miles bonus. It said there was a dedicated reservations number but didn't give it -- automated help said it is on the back of the card. When do I get the card? Hopefully some time before the year is up!

Why couldn't they have included it in the email they sent?

Sigh....how to spoil a nice gesture.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
So being a Virgin America gold, I was made an Alaska gold for a year and given a 10,000 miles bonus. It said there was a dedicated reservations number but didn't give it -- automated help said it is on the back of the card. When do I get the card? Hopefully some time before the year is up!

Why couldn't they have included it in the email they sent?

Sigh....how to spoil a nice gesture.
If you have the AS app, it is in the 'contact us' section. But otherwise, here you go.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:26 am

Let's say I book a flight from DFW to CDG using my Alaska Airline miles and I select a partner flight through American. Do I earn American or Alaskan miles on this flight?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by poisson
Let's say I book a flight from DFW to CDG using my Alaska Airline miles and I select a partner flight through American. Do I earn American or Alaskan miles on this flight?
You won't be able to earn for either program on an award flight.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by jinglish
You won't be able to earn for either program on an award flight.
Aaah okay. Sorry, I'm new to this. Is this pretty standard for most airlines? If you are booking an award flight, you don't earn miles? You can only earn miles by paying cash?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by poisson
Aaah okay. Sorry, I'm new to this. Is this pretty standard for most airlines? If you are booking an award flight, you don't earn miles? You can only earn miles by paying cash?
I'm not aware of any frequent flyer programs that allow earning miles while simultaneously redeeming them. You can still attach a frequent flyer account to the reservation for benefits if you have status, though.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Originally Posted by Finkface
If you have the AS app, it is in the 'contact us' section. But otherwise, here you go.
I always assumed when you input your MP# on the main 800 number it forwarded you to the correct MVP/MVP gold line...is this not the case?

tia!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:40 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
Thanks, problem solved.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:57 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
737-900

For legroom, do I want 6C/D or Exit Row 17C/D?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by cblaisd
737-900

For legroom, do I want 6C/D or Exit Row 17C/D?
IMO, 17
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
IMO, 17
I'd agree. I usually take 6 because I like getting off the plane quickly, but 17 has more space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.