Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:18 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: AK, BA, UA
Foolishly used 80000 Avios mileage for BA Sea-LHR ...

and $815. in fuel charges - for 2 RT tix three weeks end of August/first Sept. I was okay until I went to get seat assignments and they charge $30+ each way! I know I could do better but cannot get out of BA's way, it seems, with my AS miles. It is early enough I can cancel (with a service fee) I am not fond of Delta because they also have fuel fees on the return, and Air France never has anything. I also have some UR and SPG I could transfer, (and if I cancel will have 100000 Avios!) but although I follow several travel blogs I can't figure out how to find space on other airlines. And if I could find a business class one way ... Whatever help is offered I will gladly accept. Dates are flexible in Aug/Sept. Thank you so much for considering my plea.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by missydarlin
You can only apply one discount per booking. So you'd need to book the two people separately.
Depending on the type and terms of the discount codes, it may be possible to deposit one or both into the "my wallet" thereby combining their value. Some discount codes allow this and others do not.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cathylee13.1
and $815. in fuel charges - for 2 RT tix three weeks end of August/first Sept. I was okay until I went to get seat assignments and they charge $30+ each way! I know I could do better but cannot get out of BA's way, it seems, with my AS miles. It is early enough I can cancel (with a service fee) I am not fond of Delta because they also have fuel fees on the return, and Air France never has anything. I also have some UR and SPG I could transfer, (and if I cancel will have 100000 Avios!) but although I follow several travel blogs I can't figure out how to find space on other airlines. And if I could find a business class one way ... Whatever help is offered I will gladly accept. Dates are flexible in Aug/Sept. Thank you so much for considering my plea.
this is bordering on a fare request which isn't allowed but one thing I will say is that DL doesn't have fuel surcharges on the return. What you're seeing is the UK intl departures tax, which is high for coach tickets and absurd for business and F tickets and its applied regardless of whether it's a revenue or award booking.

as far as Alaska goes your possible partners are AA,AF,KL,DL, and FI. FI has the best availability and the worst product. All of these partners will show their availability directly on alaskaair.com
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
this is bordering on a fare request which isn't allowed but one thing I will say is that DL doesn't have fuel surcharges on the return. What you're seeing is the UK intl departures tax, which is high for coach tickets and absurd for business and F tickets and its applied regardless of whether it's a revenue or award booking.

as far as Alaska goes your possible partners are AA,AF,KL,DL, and FI. FI has the best availability and the worst product. All of these partners will show their availability directly on alaskaair.com
And FI adds surcharges too; they're just not as absurd as BA's.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: AK, BA, UA
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

Thank you for your response and also letting me know I am bordering on a fare request. Did not intend that whatsoever. I appreciate this forum and find so much value in it. Thanks again!
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:31 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

How long should one wait to expect a response from [email protected] ? Send a question about an AA flight in mid-December that had not credited; still have not received a response to my email after five days.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by cblaisd
How long should one wait to expect a response from [email protected] ? Send a question about an AA flight in mid-December that had not credited; still have not received a response to my email after five days.
Many times they just post the flight for me and never reply. Maybe try following up with them.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
First time poster here. I just found out that my Virgin Elevate account is worth $100 AS credit or 10,000 AS miles. I only have 1500 elevate miles so its 11500 AS or $100 voucher. I am UK based so collecting AS wont be easy. Mrs xcalx has the same. 1 Can AS points be merged in a household account? 2. Can the $100 or points be used for AS partner flights eg AA booked on AS website.

Could do with some advice as I need to choose which deal prior to signing up for an AS account.

Thanks

Not familiar with AS or Elevate ( think I opened this one for a silvercars deal)
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by xcalx
First time poster here. I just found out that my Virgin Elevate account is worth $100 AS credit or 10,000 AS miles. I only have 1500 elevate miles so its 11500 AS or $100 voucher. I am UK based so collecting AS wont be easy. Mrs xcalx has the same. 1 Can AS points be merged in a household account? 2. Can the $100 or points be used for AS partner flights eg AA booked on AS website.

Could do with some advice as I need to choose which deal prior to signing up for an AS account.

Thanks

Not familiar with AS or Elevate ( think I opened this one for a silvercars deal)
Typically credits are not allowed on partners but AS or VX metal only.

You would be 1K miles short of a one way saver award on AA inside the US (12.5K for one way based on AA saver awards availability)

No family accounts.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
You would be 1K miles short of a one way saver award on AA inside the US (12.5K for one way based on AA saver awards availability)
Only 550 short--xcalx, VX points are converting to AS miles at a 1:1.3 ratio.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cathylee13.1
Thank you for your response and also letting me know I am bordering on a fare request. Did not intend that whatsoever. I appreciate this forum and find so much value in it. Thanks again!
No worry. Another thing I will tell you is to look at the possibility of AF from YVR to CDG. They've had a decent amount of award space on those flights lately in J. It's not a superb product, but its not bad and the service/food is usually pretty good. As you may know, connecting in CDG is no picnic but you could also consider the train to LHR instead with a quick visit to Paris on one end or the other.

YYC-AMS is another sleeper route for award availability sometimes.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Thanks,

Originally Posted by CDKing
Typically credits are not allowed on partners but AS or VX metal only.

No family accounts.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:58 pm

I'm flying SCL-LAX-SEA (SCL-LAX on Lan airlines, LAX-Seattle on alaska airlines), and my current layover in lax is 4 hours, landing at 6am, leaving at noon.

Its in business/first class award ticket, which I know allows for free same-day standby/changes on alaska airlines.

If I arrive in lax at 6am, I can get on say a 7:30am flight for a free same-day standby even if an economy class seat is available way back in the middle? I'd rather arrive home earlier but currently alaska won't ticket me on the 7:30/8am flights because LAX's minimum connection times are 2 hours. If I'm standing in front of the gate agent to help put me on standby that'll work? Is is a big hassle to do so?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:39 pm

Slightly confused (perpetual state )

Will an April 23 flight booked on DL with my AS # still receive AS credit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.