Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
this may be a situation where the twitter team can help out...
I ultimately got a web check-in offer for first so I went ahead and just took that. I'll sort it out after at this point.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I don't care about the extra legroom product, but would prefer to be in the front half of the plane which is entirely blocked (and at this point entirely empty). My understanding is that elites can get these seats at time of booking, so that suggests no elites yet. Just want to know if it is worth a rush to checkin at T-24 or if the front half of the plane will still require a preferred seat fee.
If it's Preferred (marked as selectable by elite or refundable fare only & not Premium Class), then yes you can choose it at T-24 without a fee except for Rows 6 (bulkhead), 16&17 (exit rows). I did this before I had status and loved it. A lot of people wouldn't change seats at checkin leaving the front half less full.

If it offers to you for a fee before T-24, then it's Premium Class and will still have a fee within T-24. However if there are no open seats, then you'll be seated in the Premium Class section at no charge. Not sure if you can change seats on your own or through an agent then.

Originally Posted by altbg
First time Alaska flyer here. Well, hopefully! I have an upcoming RT flight next week but I might not be able to make it due to illness. From what I have read the change fee is $125, is this correct? Would I have to change flights right away or could I get a travel voucher/credit for a future flight with AS?
You can change your flight to a new one if you have a new one in mind or you're using a discount code such as the companion fare which would be lost if cancelled.

You can also cancel your ticket and leave it, then pay the change fee when you want to use it and the remainder (if any) will be issued as a credit with a PIN. That credit can be deposited into your Wallet. Advantage to this scenario is you don't pay the change fee so if you never use the cancelled ticket, you're only out those funds and not the change fee on top of it.

Finally, you can pay the change fee when you cancel and receive the full credit immediately and can deposit it into your Wallet.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Hi. MVP newbie (only taken a couple of flights since I got status). Looking @ waitlist for a flight tomorrow. I'm #7 , checked in right around T-24. I see #8 on the list got an upgrade, I didn't.

Based on previous experience, I know I can move up/down the upgrade list for a variety of reasons. But when I'm ahead of someone on the list, shouldn't I have gotten the upgrade?

Or did I make a "mistake" by trying to check in right at T-24?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Hi. MVP newbie (only taken a couple of flights since I got status). Looking @ waitlist for a flight tomorrow. I'm #7 , checked in right around T-24. I see #8 on the list got an upgrade, I didn't.

Based on previous experience, I know I can move up/down the upgrade list for a variety of reasons. But when I'm ahead of someone on the list, shouldn't I have gotten the upgrade?

Or did I make a "mistake" by trying to check in right at T-24?
Are you waiting for premium economy or F? I think both upgrade lists are combined. So, if you are already in Premium economy waiting for F and they are waiting for Premium economy and they got that upgrade then it would seem they got upgraded before you. Or if they are in premium economy and waiting for F and you are waiting for premium economy and their F upgrade cleared it would seem they got upgraded ahead of you. Someone mentioned before, I think, that there is a way to determine which class waiting for on the list but can't remember. Also, I am writing this from memory so I may have a detail or 2 wrong and someone can correct me.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:53 pm

It may also be a companion of someone with higher status that cleared together, like a 75K and MVP on the same reservation.

For the OP, no harm in checking in at T-24! Or later. Waitlist position is by status, fare class, and date of purchase and only show on the visible waitlist after checking in (so someone can appear in front of you, but generally, unless due to manual intervention such as fixing an error, the order shouldn't change).
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS
Brand new here- had a question related to the ending of the Delta partnership and requesting miles from a Delta flight from Nov 2016.

I used the online "request mileage credit" form to request credit for a Delta flight from Nov 2016, and emailed the receipt and ticket number to the email address listed there in mid-April. I no longer have the boarding pass, but hopefully the receipt and ticket number will suffice(?). Haven't heard anything back yet. Unfortunately didn't think to call customer service until last night after they had closed and of course they're closed today as well. Since the partnership between Delta and AS ends tomorrow, will they still honor my request as submitted a few weeks ago when they were still partners, or am I out of luck as of tomorrow?

If this is not the proper place to ask, please redirect as appropriate
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by LAXbro
Brand new here- had a question related to the ending of the Delta partnership and requesting miles from a Delta flight from Nov 2016.

I used the online "request mileage credit" form to request credit for a Delta flight from Nov 2016, and emailed the receipt and ticket number to the email address listed there in mid-April. I no longer have the boarding pass, but hopefully the receipt and ticket number will suffice(?). Haven't heard anything back yet. Unfortunately didn't think to call customer service until last night after they had closed and of course they're closed today as well. Since the partnership between Delta and AS ends tomorrow, will they still honor my request as submitted a few weeks ago when they were still partners, or am I out of luck as of tomorrow?

If this is not the proper place to ask, please redirect as appropriate
AS should be able to provide retro credit for that flight as long as it was before May 1st. Any chance you might have the boarding pass saved on your phone or a baggage tag still on your luggage?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
AS should be able to provide retro credit for that flight as long as it was before May 1st. Any chance you might have the boarding pass saved on your phone or a baggage tag still on your luggage?
Thanks for your response. No to both unfortunately as I didn't check a bag on that trip and only recently learned I should hold onto boarding passes for this purpose. Luckily, it was a short flight so probably only looking at 500 lost miles.

I have another flight that I mistakenly flew under my Delta # so I will be trying to get those miles un-credited so I can re-credit to AS if possible as well-- any tips for that scenario?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
I have 59,953 miles in my account and would like to take it to 60k -- what's the simplest/cheapest way of doing this (without doing any flying of course)?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by LAXbro
Thanks for your response. No to both unfortunately as I didn't check a bag on that trip and only recently learned I should hold onto boarding passes for this purpose. Luckily, it was a short flight so probably only looking at 500 lost miles.

I have another flight that I mistakenly flew under my Delta # so I will be trying to get those miles un-credited so I can re-credit to AS if possible as well-- any tips for that scenario?
You're most welcome! If AS responds that they're not able to credit without a boarding pass, you may be able to obtain proof of flight from Delta. I know some other airlines will provide this, although there may be time limitations or a fee that would make it not worthwhile.

I haven't done the second scenario exactly but I have had a hotel stay miscredit to the hotel's program instead of AS. I emailed the hotel's program, they removed the credit, then emailed the receipt to AS to claim it there.

ETA: Welcome to FlyerTalk LAXbro! My apologies for overlooking this in the mobile version.

Originally Posted by staff
I have 59,953 miles in my account and would like to take it to 60k -- what's the simplest/cheapest way of doing this (without doing any flying of course)?
Take a look at the Mileage Plan shopping portal!
Old May 1, 2017, 2:23 pm

Competitive price guarantee terms

Hi! I recently made use of Alaska's competitive price guarantee for the first time. I purchased a flight at alaskaair.com then discovered that the same flight was bookable for about $20 less on an OTA. I remembered reading something about Alaska's price guarantee, so within 24 hours of purchase I went over to the website, found the right form, and made a claim. About a week later, Alaska emailed me saying that they would refund the difference.

The question I have is about the top item in the terms and conditions for the price guarantee. It says, "find a lower fare on another site within 24 hours and we'll give you a $100 discount code for your next Alaska Airlines flight purchase." I wasn't offered a $100 discount code, and I'm not sure if I should have been. Am I misreading the guarantee? Is the language in the terms and conditions just wrong/outdated? Or, should I be following up with customer service? Thanks for your help.
Old May 1, 2017, 6:33 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
How long does it take a as flight to post to as? Took a flight a few days ago which I used a guest upgrade to get confirmed into f. Hasn't posted yet.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Take a look at the Mileage Plan shopping portal!
Thank you for the response. If I understand it correctly, buying a $25 Amazon gift card from giftcertificates.com would get me 50 miles (at 2 miles/$). Does this make sense? EDIT: Just noticed that "Premium Merchants" (including Amazon) are ineligible.

How about buying a digital magazine for $3 (at 20 miles/$) from Discountmags.com?

Any experiences on how long it takes for miles from the Shopping Portal to post?

Last edited by Kilian Zoll; May 1, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Old May 2, 2017, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by qupasyd
The question I have is about the top item in the terms and conditions for the price guarantee. It says, "find a lower fare on another site within 24 hours and we'll give you a $100 discount code for your next Alaska Airlines flight purchase." I wasn't offered a $100 discount code, and I'm not sure if I should have been. Am I misreading the guarantee? Is the language in the terms and conditions just wrong/outdated? Or, should I be following up with customer service? Thanks for your help.
It's a discount code, so check your Mileage Plan account and see if it was entered directly there. If not, I'd follow up. I don't see how you're misreading the policy.

Originally Posted by jason8612
How long does it take a as flight to post to as? Took a flight a few days ago which I used a guest upgrade to get confirmed into f. Hasn't posted yet.
My last flight was Friday morning, posted late Monday afternoon/evening.

Originally Posted by staff
Thank you for the response. If I understand it correctly, buying a $25 Amazon gift card from giftcertificates.com would get me 50 miles (at 2 miles/$). Does this make sense? EDIT: Just noticed that "Premium Merchants" (including Amazon) are ineligible.

How about buying a digital magazine for $3 (at 20 miles/$) from Discountmags.com?

Any experiences on how long it takes for miles from the Shopping Portal to post?
You're most welcome! I haven't done the magazine but I know others here have. Just read the fine print as you have to make sure it's eligible. I ordered something from Lowe's on 3/2, email from Mileage Plan Shopping on 3/4 that miles were earned. I don't have the exact date the miles were dumped into my account though.
Old May 2, 2017, 1:09 pm

You're most welcome! If AS responds that they're not able to credit without a boarding pass, you may be able to obtain proof of flight from Delta. I know some other airlines will provide this, although there may be time limitations or a fee that would make it not worthwhile.

I haven't done the second scenario exactly but I have had a hotel stay miscredit to the hotel's program instead of AS. I emailed the hotel's program, they removed the credit, then emailed the receipt to AS to claim it there.

ETA: Welcome to FlyerTalk LAXbro! My apologies for overlooking this in the mobile version.
Thanks for the welcome!

Wanted to update this scenario in case it can help anyone in the future: Delta will only un-credit miles if requested within 60 days of the flight (so I'm out of luck unfortunately).

Currently on hold with Alaska to see if they will credit that flight to me without a boarding pass (wanted to minimize my time on the phone with Delta yesterday so didn't ask them to reissue it). Will edit with results.

Update: not resolved yet, but they haven't told me straight out they won't do it yet so fingers crossed!

Last edited by LAXbro; May 2, 2017 at 7:48 pm Reason: update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.