Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage + Alaska
Talking

Hey all!

Long time lurker, short time poster. I have been searching for a while trying to figure out the best strategy to get in on rewards, and unfortunately I would always get absolutely overwhelmed with the complex, opaque hierarchies I encountered.

I've thought about it and have begun to narrow my focus to the most obvious choices: Delta or Alaska, since I'm based in Seattle.

I'm hoping with that narrowed focus, I'm at a point where I feel comfortable enough asking a question that is specific enough to be actionable.

I'm a pretty simple portfolio - I don't travel very often/at all for business, and would be primarily focus on accruing points via everyday purchases for the purpose of booking international travel (primarily to Europe, and ideally Asia and Oceania as well). At the moment, I've purchased a single flight via points on American, and have accrued a handful of points that are scattered across American, Virgin, Alaska, United, and regional European airlines, so none of them stand out as an obvious choice over the others, and I'm still somewhat new to the whole concept, though I have a basic grasp of how it operates.

Given this information, my question is this:

What the heck kind of card should I get, anyways?!

There's so many potential avenues, it seems (airline affiliated bank cards, hotel cards like Starwood, local credit unions like BECU) and I'm just overwhelmed with information and am not sure which one would be the best usage of my spending habits to accrue points for the purpose of purchasing basic economy international fares. Currently, my practice has been to purchase cheap fares that I come across regardless of the airline, though I think I would benefit from sticking to one airline (as I did with American and got a free flight out of it, which I was quite pleased with!).

I hope I'm asking in the right place! I'm posting here because I'm leaning towards Alaska and am wondering if that's the right choice - Seattleites tend to hold Alaska in high regard, and the merger is also enticing.

Thank you everyone!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: Alaska
Hi,

I am trying to use AS miles to purchase a DL flight for the first time, and have hit a snag.

My general questions are:

• If a DL flight had been available on the AS website for purchase using AS miles, but is no longer there, is there a much of a chance that it might show up again?
  • What determines whether DL flights are available to purchase using AS miles?

Here is my specific situation:

I want to book a January 2018 trip using my AS miles for me and my wife. I had found an ideal DL flight on the AS site a couple of weeks ago, but now when I look on the AS website the flight is no longer offered for purchase using AS miles on that date (I would have booked back then, but I was waiting for the last few miles to post to my account). The DL flight is available for purchase using AS miles on the following day, but that doesn’t work for our schedule.

My assumption was that the available seats were purchased and that I had missed out. However, when I checked on the DL website to see what it would cost to purchase directly from DL, I saw that other than the last two rows being listed as unavailable only one other seat on the plane is taken. In contrast, when I look at the DL flight for the following day (the one that is available on AS) about a dozen seats are already booked.

My best guess is that the last two rows of unavailable seats on DL flights represent spaces earmarked for partners such as AS, and that even though the later flight shows other unavailable seats, the earmarked spaces are still unbooked. But that’s just me throwing out a guess.

Can someone please help me understand what is going on? Am I wasting time checking each day to see if the flight might be available again on AS?

Thank you!
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ToddSD
My best guess is that the last two rows of unavailable seats on DL flights represent spaces earmarked for partners such as AS, and that even though the later flight shows other unavailable seats, the earmarked spaces are still unbooked. But that’s just me throwing out a guess.
Nope. Except for the airlines like B6 and WN with pure revenue-based redemptions, airlines maintain award fare buckets just as they do for revenue fares. Typically they only make their lower ("saver") awards available for booking through partners, and in this case it sounds like the available saver space has been booked. These buckets aren't linked to the seat map in any way.

So yeah, you're SOL unless whoever nabbed that award space cancels or changes dates before the end of the month, when AS loses access to DL awards.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by jinglish
Nope. Except for the airlines like B6 and WN with pure revenue-based redemptions, airlines maintain award fare buckets just as they do for revenue fares. Typically they only make their lower ("saver") awards available for booking through partners, and in this case it sounds like the available saver space has been booked. These buckets aren't linked to the seat map in any way.

So yeah, you're SOL unless whoever nabbed that award space cancels or changes dates before the end of the month, when AS loses access to DL awards.
Thank you for answering so quickly. So, in this situation, this has to mean that the person who used the awards spaces didn't pick seats yet, right? Because only one seat on the entire plane has been booked (every DL flight that I looked at for that month blocks out the last two rows, so I'll assume those are not purchased, just unavailable).

I'll probably just book through DL, but this looked like a great opportunity for me to use my AS points.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ToddSD
Thank you for answering so quickly. So, in this situation, this has to mean that the person who used the awards spaces didn't pick seats yet, right? Because only one seat on the entire plane has been booked (every DL flight that I looked at for that month blocks out the last two rows, so I'll assume those are not purchased, just unavailable).

I'll probably just book through DL, but this looked like a great opportunity for me to use my AS points.
Cash purchases and awards come out of separate inventory. Also DL may make space available for those using DL miles and not to partners. Seatmap has nothing to do with what is available for award bookings. Its not last seat availability on partners. Even when it comes to cash tickets, seats open do not equate to unsold seats. For exampe, I was on a United flight a few years ago and 2 days prior to departure flight was empty. By the time I made it to the gate, coach was oversold and i was bumped up to Business.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Most of the flights I see for sale by Condor are operated by Thomas Cook Airlines. Is it safe to say these specific flights do not earn miles with Alaska?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Most of the flights I see for sale by Condor are operated by Thomas Cook Airlines. Is it safe to say these specific flights do not earn miles with Alaska?
I believe Missy stated that those flight would credit if they were within the flight numbers listed on the partner page.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Any issues purchasing and picking up items from the duty free stores in SFO? The missus wants to pick up an item while she's passing through. First time departing from SFO on AS and will be to an international destination (PVR) but not familiar with the AS gate setup there.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Any issues purchasing and picking up items from the duty free stores in SFO? The missus wants to pick up an item while she's passing through. First time departing from SFO on AS and will be to an international destination (PVR) but not familiar with the AS gate setup there.
Well AS does use international gates, many that other airlines use. So I don't see an issue, but have not tried this before. Lots of DFS there too- was just thru SFO on Thursday.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Error

Originally Posted by beckoa
Well AS does use international gates, many that other airlines use. So I don't see an issue, but have not tried this before. Lots of DFS there too- was just thru SFO on Thursday.
I have tried for 3 hours and it says error

Award Reservations Temporarily Unavailable
Access to book award travel will be restored as quickly as possible. Try again later.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since yesterday sometime the iOS app keeps erroring on my account. Says my account not available try again later. Anyone else seeing this?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Since yesterday sometime the iOS app keeps erroring on my account. Says my account not available try again later. Anyone else seeing this?
They were doing web site maintenance earlier. Perhaps it wasn't finished yet? I haven't experienced the error you described.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calculon
They were doing web site maintenance earlier. Perhaps it wasn't finished yet? I haven't experienced the error you described.
Seems to be working again.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by beckoa
Thanks! Will give it a shot if the missus finds what she's looking for (a scarf for her trip). Worst case is just reverse the charges I guess, if the purchase doesn't make to us at the gate pickup or onboard.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
If the white F on the dark blue background is still there when doing a dummy booking, yes. If it changes to a blue F on a white background that means U=0 and the upgrade won't clear. Without knowing the date and route it's hard to predict if that is a risk.

For that flight remember that P fares earn 175% EQM. The P fare looks to be only 60% more expensive than the K fare, so if you can swing the extra $100, it might be worth it to buy the P fare. You'd also get gratis BR access with a P fare.
Regarding the 75% bonus, how does it work for RDMs if you are also Gold 75K? So, for a 4,000 mile flight, we get 7,000 EQMs and how many RDMs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.