Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Jon.
but are there other options out there that may be cheaper and/or net me more miles? Or something I'm missing?
CX has had some decent premium economy fares to SE Asia out of SFO/LAX. For random dates in November, you can fly SFO-BKK in PE for $1559 and earn 17,500 EQMs excluding the AS ticket from SEA to SFO and back.

While this isn't the most lucrative earning option, it's a fair bit more simple than other things you have proposed and isn't any worse than option #2.

Keep an eye on business class fares out of YVR as well, right now they aren't great @ $3800 on CX, but they might become cheaper at some point...

Another benefit of trying to get on CX in paid J is the additional bonus RDMs (100% bonus for a total of 225% earned if no status...if status, add another 50-125% depending on tier) in addition to the 125% EQMs.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
That is really in line with Option 2 and actually much easier. I was also hoping to get into a business class if possible, however CX looks great in PE as well.

Thanks for that option!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jon.
That is really in line with Option 2 and actually much easier. I was also hoping to get into a business class if possible, however CX looks great in PE as well.

Thanks for that option!
While no guarantee of the future, the CX PE fares have been around for awhile now, so you could always gamble on waiting and see if something for paid J pops up that is palatable in price and hang onto PE as a contingency plan. Might also be worth checking the fare rules for the PE fare, sometimes they are refundable after very low cancellation fees ($100 or so) which you could just consider as an "insurance policy" - book now, and cancel later if a good J fare crops up in between now and then. Read carefully though and be sure you understand them completely before following that path.

CX also operates out of ORD and BOS/JFK, so if you were feeling adventurous and wanted more miles, you could hop over to one of those airports on AS to start your trip to BKK. The fares from the east coast/ORD might be slightly higher than SFO/LAX due to the added distance, but they won't be over $2000 probably.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:41 pm

Another minor AA ticket/AS metal question: I assume I can't access these reservations through the Alaska app/web site? All AA?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Another minor AA ticket/AS metal question: I assume I can't access these reservations through the Alaska app/web site? All AA?
If there's AS metal, you need the AS PNR, a quick phone call away.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
If there's AS metal, you need the AS PNR, a quick phone call away.
Got it, thanks
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Once you have the AS PNR, you should be able to see the entire reservation on Alaska not just the AS segments.

I have an upcoming AA ticket with a codeshare (AS metal) segment. The only thing I can't do is select seats for the AA segments on alaskaair.com. Not that I would expect to do so from the AS side, but it does show the seat map for the flights which kind of surprised me. And the AA PNR is right there too. Much better than needing to call AA every time for a partner PNR on their res.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by rustykettel
I have an upcoming AA ticket with a codeshare (AS metal) segment. And the AA PNR is right there too. Much better than needing to call AA every time for a partner PNR on their res.
That's the nice part about AS. All partner PNR's are in the reservation.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott
Hi I have au upcoming trip on AA ORD-PVG in I class. How much do I earn for Elite qualifying miles on AS? 150%*7057? Does the MVP 75 125% count towards status?

Thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shengwan
Hi I have au upcoming trip on AA ORD-PVG in I class. How much do I earn for Elite qualifying miles on AS? 150%*7057? Does the MVP 75 125% count towards status?

Thanks!
yes 1.5*7057 = 10585 EQMs earned

125% bonus applies only to RDMs
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Alaska MVPG75
Curious if anyone has an idea of approx what percentage of MVP75 earned on all Alaska metal?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Does anyone know if (as a 75K) I can access the Galleries lounge upon arriving into LHR while transiting to MUC? We are flying BA & I'll also have (no status) Grandfather and Aunt in tow.

Last edited by flyupfrnt; Mar 23, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
Does anyone know if (as a 75K) I can access the Galleries lounge upon arriving into LHR while transiting to MUC? We are flying BA & I'll also have (no status) Grandfather and Aunt in tow.
Probably not with two guests. Alaska's page doesn't mention guesting and BA's page says only 1 guest for those with status (BA or Oneworld, no mention of AS).

Alaska also says access is only between LHR and SEA but at least one FTer got access on transit elsewhere. Do update with your results!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:13 am

Can I combine VX flights + partner flights on an award ticket as is possible with AS + partner?

I think the answer is no, but having trouble confirming it.

Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by tlott
Can I combine VX flights + partner flights on an award ticket as is possible with AS + partner?

I think the answer is no, but having trouble confirming it.

Thanks!
Correct at this point its not allowed. Its still considered a partner and not an AS flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.