Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MAXII
Flying First MIA-CLT-SEA-YYJ Award flights, all AA except SEA-YYJ that is AS. One ticket/PNR & I checkin with AA. I have both AA & AS confirmation numbers. Will I have complimentary lounge access in MIA &
CLT?

Thanks.
Domestic AA F does not include access to their lounges. For the purpose of determining access to lounges, AA considers US, Canada, and most of Mexico to be "domestic"/"non-international". Now if you have MIA-LAX (AA) in a three-class aircraft (B777) followed by LAX-SEA-YYJ (AS), this would get you access to their lounges in MIA and LAX.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by MAXII
Flying First MIA-CLT-SEA-YYJ Award flights, all AA except SEA-YYJ that is AS. One ticket/PNR & I checkin with AA. I have both AA & AS confirmation numbers. Will I have complimentary lounge access in MIA &
CLT?

Thanks.
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
Domestic AA F does not include access to their lounges. For the purpose of determining access to lounges, AA considers US, Canada, and most of Mexico to be "domestic"/"non-international". Now if you have MIA-LAX (AA) in a three-class aircraft (B777) followed by LAX-SEA-YYJ (AS), this would get you access to their lounges in MIA and LAX.
Moreover, as far as I know, all SEA-YYJ flights are on QX Q400s with no F. Assuming that's the case, OP has no F segments on AS and therefore isn't eligible for AS lounge access in SEA either, at least not by class of service.

If OP were traveling LAX-SEA in AS F, that would qualify the OP for AS lounge access certainly in LAX and probably in SEA.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by ashill
If OP were traveling LAX-SEA in AS F, that would qualify the OP for AS lounge access certainly in LAX and probably in SEA.
Certainly in SEA as well. Access based on F is same day (all day). I've never had an issue going into a BR even when the AS F flight didn't originate in that airport or after I flew the F segment.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Wanted to double check that Air France Premium Economy gets you 100% EQM on Alaska and 2.25x RDMs for MVP 75K. Thinking about optimizing AF Premium and Amex 20,000 MR offer to go to Europe.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jediwho
Wanted to double check that Air France Premium Economy gets you 100% EQM on Alaska and 2.25x RDMs for MVP 75K. Thinking about optimizing AF Premium and Amex 20,000 MR offer to go to Europe.
?

(but the answer to your question is yes)
Old Mar 18, 2017, 12:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Smiley90
?

(but the answer to your question is yes)
There is a special offer for targeted individuals who spend IIRC 1K with Air France on their AMEX cards.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by ashill
Moreover, as far as I know, all SEA-YYJ flights are on QX Q400s with no F. Assuming that's the case, OP has no F segments on AS and therefore isn't eligible for AS lounge access in SEA either, at least not by class of service.

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Certainly in SEA as well. Access based on F is same day (all day). I've never had an issue going into a BR even when the AS F flight didn't originate in that airport or after I flew the F segment.

Thanks everyone.😊
Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:13 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Not sure why it's not showing up then. Poking around, I found DCA-LAX-NRT available at the end of August (like 8/27,28,31).
If I find individual segments available, but the whole trip does not come up via one way or multi city search, is it possible to book it by calling? Or do some routing rules prevent that?

Last edited by TOMFORD; Mar 18, 2017 at 9:22 am
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
If I find individual segments available, but the whole trip does not come up via one way or multi city search, is it possible to book it by calling? Or do some routing rules prevent that?
Routing rules, stop-over rules or the AS legs not being available at the saver level can be an issue. If you are looking at non saver level it would need to be two separate awards. For coach any 20 or 30K awards would not be combinable with a partner award. Same with any F awards over 25K on AS metal.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
There are also partners who have married-segment rules for awards, notably EK--i.e., you can book SEA-DXB and DXB-DEL separately, but that itinerary won't show up as a single award despite being on AS's s awards charts because EK isn't offering saver space on the combined route. I've recently seen this while searching for KL awards as well.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 3:29 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Is this possible on CX for 30k miles?
CGK-HKG-YVR (stopover)-NYC

Or am I stuck with CX + AS if I want to stopover in YVR?
CGK-HKG-YVR on CX then YVR-SEA-NYC on AS
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by hightide

No, the first option should be fine provided the space is available.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Thanks for the info ^
Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by hightide

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
CX stopover is officially only allowed in HKG, or CX /AS international gateway (some have struggeled even with stopover isn SFOo or LAX). You can always try and hope someone makes a mistake.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Award rules

I am AA Gold but have not been able to find all the rules/info related to award travel on AS. I am looking at award on AA flights and have never used AS miles for awards before.
If I book an award with AS miles do I use my AS or AA number. If AS, likely, can I change the AA flights to my AA number?
What are the rules for changed to other AA flights if they become available?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.