Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 17, 17, 11:11 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Calchas
Wiki Link
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 16, 17, 1:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, DL Diamond, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Is it possible to use the Alaska credit card discount code (companion fare) for upgradable fare and also use the SWUs on that fare?

Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 17, 1:34 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jediwho View Post
Is it possible to use the Alaska credit card discount code (companion fare) for upgradable fare and also use the SWUs on that fare?

Thanks!
We call them GGUs, and yes.
Old Mar 16, 17, 3:57 pm

If you purchase a vacation package through an OTA or a partner airline (aavacations), can you earn Alaska Elite Miles/Award miles? For example, I buy a flight/hotel on Expedia, flying on KLM, will I be able to earn Alaska miles for that trip?
Old Mar 16, 17, 8:40 pm

Programs: Former Alaska MVP Gold 75K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by caburrito View Post
If you purchase a vacation package through an OTA or a partner airline (aavacations), can you earn Alaska Elite Miles/Award miles? For example, I buy a flight/hotel on Expedia, flying on KLM, will I be able to earn Alaska miles for that trip?
Unless it books into a non-earning fare class, you should be able to. You might have to get in touch with the airline to ensure that your MP# makes it to the booking.
Old Mar 17, 17, 12:16 am

Programs: BonVoy Pt, IHG Au, HH Au, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by TOMFORD View Post
Separate legs show availability, but not via multi-city and not via direct search with origin as dca and destination as nrt. Multicity only shows results with AA, while direct search only shows AA, DL, KE, and AS/DL.
Not sure why it's not showing up then. Poking around, I found DCA-LAX-NRT available at the end of August (like 8/27,28,31).

Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Backtracking.

There are guidelines that agents use (but are not published publicly) from what I understand.
Sure wish those were available. Able to find some awards on the website with west coast origination to east coast cities to Asia on certain partners. Found another backtracking award that transited the same midcon connecting airport twice east to west to Asia, which kind of surprised me. Most are on partner metal, but there were a couple of transcon/midcon AS metal to certain cities but not others.
Old Mar 17, 17, 10:46 am

Please delete

Last edited by shand32783; Mar 17, 17 at 11:39 am Reason: Question has been answered
Old Mar 17, 17, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by shand32783 View Post
If my wife and I are traveling to a destination (I am Gold she is MVP) and we are traveling on a $99 companion fare....when day of possible upgrades happen, will we upgrade together or will it be me first and then where ever she lands on the MVP scale (fare class) I thought that instead of perhaps me being #2 on the list and her being 7 that we would be 2 and 3 if traveling on the same record locator? Can anyone shed experience on this please? We seem to be split more not than ever even on the companion fare. I'm wondering if I should even put in her mileage number to increase the chance we're together?
The short answer is yes, you should be upgraded together.

In another thread, I think it's the Ask missy or How Upgrades Work, missy said that the new upgrade system doesn't list the companion (not just with the companion code, any two person PNR) on the gate display/app list but it's still seen by the gate agent and should be processed together. If the companion has status, they're visible on the display/app list on their own status, not as a companion of a higher status, and again, should be processed by the GA along with the higher status if two seats are available.

I would continue to put the MP numbers in on the reservation and just make sure the GA knows you have a companion with you. Are you currently being upgraded and she isn't?
Old Mar 17, 17, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
hi all,
My wife, son, and I have joined AS MP because of our VX accounts. We received the $100 discount code for joining AS MP.

I would like to book a trip for the 3 of us - may I use all 3 $100 discount codes for this trip? I prefer that we stay together in one PNR (if AS uses the PNR lingo that I used with UA in the past).

Thank you!
Michael
Old Mar 17, 17, 12:42 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
hi all,
My wife, son, and I have joined AS MP because of our VX accounts. We received the $100 discount code for joining AS MP.

I would like to book a trip for the 3 of us - may I use all 3 $100 discount codes for this trip? I prefer that we stay together in one PNR (if AS uses the PNR lingo that I used with UA in the past).

Thank you!
Michael
Unfortunately AS only allows one discount code per PNR.
Old Mar 17, 17, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also it turns out that my wife and I both arranged our MP accounts, but neither of us did it for our 7-year-old son. What's the best way for us to get his account set up online? Or do we need to call the 800 number because of his age? I just don't want to deal with a long hold time.
Thank you
Michael
Old Mar 17, 17, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jinglish View Post
Thank you - I will book our flight and use the code on another trip. I will first try to book the flight as a one-way out of curiosity :-)

I highly highly highly appreciate the fast response.
Old Mar 17, 17, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jinglish View Post
This special AS code has the rule of "one passenger only" per code - if I book myself for this flight, and then book my wife/son for the other flight, then can we be combined into a single PNR at a later time?

I'm hoping to still use this as a one-way trip, so that I can then do the reverse with my wife's code for the return trip.

I am booking us in paid F (discounted)

Thank you!
Michael
Old Mar 17, 17, 12:56 pm

Programs: MP MVP Gold; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Silver;
They wouldn't be able to "combine" the PNRs but they can "link" them after the fact for seating purposes. This way they will try to seat you all together in the case they need to move your family. But since you are booking into F you shouldn't have a ton of movement.

I recently did something similar. I bought 3 seats on one PNR using a discount code and then used miles for another seat. I had called the MVPG line and asked them to link the two PNRs.
Old Mar 17, 17, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
Also it turns out that my wife and I both arranged our MP accounts, but neither of us did it for our 7-year-old son. What's the best way for us to get his account set up online? Or do we need to call the 800 number because of his age? I just don't want to deal with a long hold time.
Unfortunately, you will have to call in since your son is under 13. There's a callback option if the wait times are long so you don't have to keep your ear to the phone for the whole time at least. Hours listed are 5am to midnight Pacific daily so maybe an off peak time would work too?
Old Mar 17, 17, 1:44 pm

AS Award on AA & AS, FC Lounge?

Flying First MIA-CLT-SEA-YYJ Award flights, all AA except SEA-YYJ that is AS. One ticket/PNR & I checkin with AA. I have both AA & AS confirmation numbers. Will I have complimentary lounge access in MIA &
CLT?

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: