Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by faithful
Thank you!
At the gate: If I was at the top of the list to get upgraded and there were 2 seats available in F would my MVPG wife (same conf#) get upgraded before another single MVPG75?
In theory, yes. In practice, lately, I wouldn't count on it.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:48 am
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
New member here and new MVP on AS as well. My question is in regard to the waitlist, on getting upgraded to F or PE. I'm flying SEA to ABQ today. There were a number of PE seats available at T48, but they quickly filled (assuming other MVPs moving up). At T24 I could see the waitlist and it looks like six people were ahead of me were switched to PE and then another three lower on the list were moved to PE. So my question, is the waitlist in any kind of actual order? I'm also wondering if since I booked this ticket before hitting MVP that maybe there was a IT glitch (it does show me as waitlisted though)?

Totally fine with my exit row for this flight, but just curious how things work.

Sorry if this had previously been covered.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:53 pm

Possible to qualify for MVP without flying on Alaska?

Would it be possible to earn 25000 miles on Alaska partners exclusively to earn MVP? I'm planning a long route in business on Emirates to Indonesia later this year and I think that should get me very close.... thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by ehchan
Would it be possible to earn 25000 miles on Alaska partners exclusively to earn MVP? I'm planning a long route in business on Emirates to Indonesia later this year and I think that should get me very close.... thanks!
^Yes! No minimum miles or segments on Alaska.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:42 am

Question Checked Bag Benefit

I'm contemplating my first experience of flying on Delta metal and crediting the flights to Alaska MP. I have credit cards providing the free checked bag for both airlines, but no status with either one.
If I switch my FF number on the PNR from Delta to Alaska before checking in, will Delta charge me for the bag?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
I'm contemplating my first experience of flying on Delta metal and crediting the flights to Alaska MP. I have credit cards providing the free checked bag for both airlines, but no status with either one.
If I switch my FF number on the PNR from Delta to Alaska before checking in, will Delta charge me for the bag?
I tested this out in January. Delta wanted to charge me for my bag after I added my Alaska MP number during check in. So I put in my Skymiles number instead to trigger the free bag benefit. Then, after completing check in, I went back into the PNR and switched over to Alaska MP. Everything worked out! Free bag and miles credited to Alaska.

Last edited by qupasyd; Mar 10, 2017 at 11:59 pm
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Cant you just flash your card to get the benefit or does the number have to be in the reservation?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS 75k, SEA-BOS expert level 2000
Anyone know what parts of the year flight 736 SEA to BOS flies? Maybe seasonal? I normally fly on flight 24 thursday night and I have been thinking about switching to flight 736. I looked at the flight schedule and it shows it flies everyday some weeks and others it isn't going at all (none next week, flies in mid-june, flies in mid-september, doesn't fly in November). Any thoughts about when they put this flight in service?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Cant you just flash your card to get the benefit or does the number have to be in the reservation?
The benefit is tied to the associated FF account. My Alaska FF account has that benefit as well, but I'm afraid that Delta wouldn't know that. Guess I'll have to try switching after the check in. I understand many airlines are unwilling to do that anymore.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
My Alaska FF account has that benefit as well, but I'm afraid that Delta wouldn't know that.
The AS free bag benefit from the AS visa card is only valid on flights operated by AS or ASdbaQX/OO (and hopefully soon VX). So, even if DL knows you have free bags from your AS status, they won't care as they are not AS, and they will charge you for bags if you use your AS FF#. Your only hope is to check the bags with your DL# and try to switch FF# afterward, or eat the fee and check them on your AS#.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:46 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Are there ever reduced-price sales on Board Room memberships?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Are there ever reduced-price sales on Board Room memberships?
not that I've ever seen. Just the status level discounts.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:59 pm

Aussie visitor here, coming to Seattle for the first time and then will be flying SEA-FCA return in the next few weeks. Never flown with Alaska Airlines before and I'll be checking in at the ticket counter - can I pay cash for my baggage fees (will have two checked bags), or do I need to pay by credit card? Thanks

Last edited by Simba66; Mar 10, 2017 at 7:13 pm
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Simba66
Aussie visitor here, coming to Seattle for the first time and then will be flying SEA-FCA return in the next few weeks. Never flown with Alaska Airlines before and I'll be checking in at the ticket counter - can I pay cash for my baggage fees (will have two checked bags), or do I need to pay by credit card? Thanks
Should be able to. The counter accepts cash for ticket purchases:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ab...rms-of-payment

ETA: clarification- U.S. or Canadian currency at U.S. and Canadian counters (Mexican currency only at Mexican counters- not that applies here, but for someone scrolling through here in the future)
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Should be able to. The counter accepts cash for ticket purchases:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ab...rms-of-payment

ETA: clarification- U.S. or Canadian currency at U.S. and Canadian counters (Mexican currency only at Mexican counters- not that applies here, but for someone scrolling through here in the future)
Thanks Thought I'd better check as I was intending to use up some USD which I bought at a much better exchange rate than we have now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.