Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:22 pm

What's the earning rate for AS codeshares on AA metal? Is it based on the AA chart or AS chart? If it's based on the AA chart, is there any benefit of booking as AS codeshare?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by MahiMahi524
What's the earning rate for AS codeshares on AA metal? Is it based on the AA chart or AS chart? If it's based on the AA chart, is there any benefit of booking as AS codeshare?
For AS codeshares on AA metal, missydarlin says they earn according to the AS chart but count in the partner bucket for elite qualification. (Confusingly, this is specific to AS*/AA flights; other codeshares earn according to the operating carrier's table.)

Either way, the biggest benefit of booking through AS (which means getting an AS flight number) is that AS's lower (zero more than 60 days out or for MVP Golds) change fees apply.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
For AS codeshares on AA metal, missydarlin says they earn according to the AS chart but count in the partner bucket for elite qualification. (Confusingly, this is specific to AS*/AA flights; other codeshares earn according to the operating carrier's table.)

Either way, the biggest benefit of booking through AS (which means getting an AS flight number) is that AS's lower (zero more than 60 days out or for MVP Golds) change fees apply.
Interesting. That was my understanding as well. The flight I took (AS marketed, AA operated) didn't credit, and when I called in the agent manually credited 25% of mileage and said the credit is by partner table only. I'll ask Missy on her thread; maybe she can clarify. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by MahiMahi524; Feb 25, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by MahiMahi524
Interesting. That was my understanding as well. The flight I took (AS marketed, AA operated) didn't credit, and when I called in the agent manually credited 25% of mileage and said the credit is by partner table only. I'll ask Missy on her thread; maybe she can clarify. Thanks for the help!
For reference, this is mentioned in an alaskaair.com blog post:

What if I purchase a codeshare flight?

For flights marketed by American, but operated by Alaska, you will earn miles at the new rate. For flights marketed by Alaska, but operated by American, you will earn miles based on the distance you fly, as well as any class of service bonuses. See our Earn on Alaska page for details.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if an Alaska agent was confused by this unique-to-American policy. Alaska's partner earnings, particularly involving codeshares (even AS codeshares) are maddeningly inconsistent and poorly documented.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
10K bonus re Virgin linking

Can someone explain who gets the 10k bonus for linking accounts? I have an Alaska account. I have a Virgin account. Both opened years ago. If I merge accounts, do I receive the 10K? Is it for new Alaska accounts only? What am I missing here(?) (outside of the thread where this is explained? )

Cheers -
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Slap me across the head virtually if this is a stupid question, but as an MVP Gold 75Ker, will I seriously not be able to get a free checked back on VX?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K
Seriously, as a gold 75K you will not get a free bag on VX. Lots of complaining, but no change of policy yet.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: Oneworld (Emerald)
Originally Posted by perktd
Seriously, as a gold 75K you will not get a free bag on VX. Lots of complaining, but no change of policy yet.
Officially no change yet. Unofficially, several have reported that an agent will waive the fee upon presenting your MVPG card. (Though you do run the risk of having to pay the fee if the agent chooses not to waive it.)
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shgroamer
Slap me across the head virtually if this is a stupid question, but as an MVP Gold 75Ker, will I seriously not be able to get a free checked back on VX?
That is correct. It is not a published benefit for any AS level. Though as noted by others, showing your card at the counter people have been successful in getting the fee waived. But don't expect it as it is not a benefit.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:11 am

Flying with Bike box

Is there an oversized fee for a bicycle cardboard box (linear dimension ~97in)? On the sporting equipment page it says they are subject to an oversize fee.

Each checked piece listed below is subject to our standard checked baggage fees, overweight fee, and oversize fee.
  • Bicycles
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...equipment.aspx
However on the checked baggage page it says sporting equipments are an exception to the size or weight allowance.
Any baggage (including baggage checked free of charge) which exceeds the size or weight allowance, is subject to the additional fees outlined below. Exception: Sporting equipment.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...cked-bags.aspx
Thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Originally Posted by bhayami
Is there an oversized fee for a bicycle cardboard box (linear dimension ~97in)? On the sporting equipment page it says they are subject to an oversize fee.

However on the checked baggage page it says sporting equipments are an exception to the size or weight allowance.

Thanks.
AIUI, "Exception: Sporting equipment." means that you should refer to the special cases noted on the sporting equipment page that you linked. It doesn't mean that there's a blanket exception to the oversize fee for sporting equipment.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: MVPG
MVP & 2 Alaska CC's - 4 checkin bag allowance?

Spouse and I are both MVP and each have 2 Alaska Air credit cards (4 cards total). Does that mean we can each check in 4 bags free? Just curious. Seldom check in bags at all, but was thinking of camping at the Grand Canyon and that would mean a lot of gear.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Jay K
Spouse and I are both MVP and each have 2 Alaska Air credit cards (4 cards total). Does that mean we can each check in 4 bags free? Just curious. Seldom check in bags at all, but was thinking of camping at the Grand Canyon and that would mean a lot of gear.
No, unfortunately benefits don't stack like that. It's max(benefit a, benefit b, benefit c) and not sum(benefit a, benefit b, benefit c).
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Jay K
As MVPs you can each check two bags for free up to 50lb each bag, regardless of how you pay for the tickets. If you pay for the tickets with your credit card, I guess you might have an argument for getting an additional free checked bag each, but I doubt it would work to convince an agent at the airport, as that is not the intention of the credit card program.

As your 3rd+ bags per passenger would each be $75, you might want to look at packing your lightest and least fragile items (eg, sleeping bags/tents) together in a box or two and shipping them to yourself in Arizona via FedEx. It would likely be less expensive than paying AS to transport them.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:37 pm

Changing from AS FF #

Can one easily change an AS FF # to an AA #, shortly after ticketing on AS? I'm thinking in terms of an award on CX or JL where my AA elite status(and no AS status) would get benefits such as immediately accessing preferred seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.