Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by MahiMahi524
Thanks for clarifying. This thread made my think it could be possible: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...-2016-a-3.html

Seems discussion on it happening, but unclear if it did or didn't.
I think it ended up being more of a speculation thread
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Thumbs up General member - buy full Y, then Up-Fare to F?

Howdy y'all
I'm looking at prices for a fully refundable Y fare, and it's only $50 less than the fully refundable F fare. Is it possible to buy the Y with company plastic, *then after it's booked,* pay the $50 difference and up-fare to F?
Thanks in advance
(I miss flying and FT)^
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Depending on how far in advance this flight is, don't be surprised if a schedule change again breaks your itinerary with a forced overnight at SEA. AS constantly changes the timing of the "late night" SEA-SMF and "early morning" SMF-SEA departures and it's quite frankly maddening.

Usually the 11:30ish PM southbound arrival stays around in the summer...but don't be surprised if it doesn't.
Hmm okay I'll keep an eye on it, the flight is as the tail end of summer so hopefully it sticks but thanks for the heads up ^
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Chances of making a separate ticket 70 minute connection @ SEA?

AMS-SEA on DL arrives at 12:28

SEA-SMF on AS departs at 13:40

I have global entry, nearly 100% chance of getting pre-check on AS ticket @ SEA, and no checked bags. I assume it wouldn't be a problem but many here have more experience than me.

I guess I could always book the AS 15:50 departure and SDC/Standby for the 13:40 if I get to the gate on time.

Trying to avoid the DL same ticket connection which doesn't depart until 17:10 necessitating a very long SEA connection after a week long work marathon in EU.

Travel is on a Saturday so not so likely that the 13:40 SEA-SMF would be so full as to prevent standbys.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by flyinryan
Howdy y'all
I'm looking at prices for a fully refundable Y fare, and it's only $50 less than the fully refundable F fare. Is it possible to buy the Y with company plastic, *then after it's booked,* pay the $50 difference and up-fare to F?
Thanks in advance
(I miss flying and FT)^
Yes, absolutely! They love to take your money for a higher fare class.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Chances of making a separate ticket 70 minute connection @ SEA? AMS-SEA on DL arrives at 12:28 / SEA-SMF on AS departs at 13:40

I guess I could always book the AS 15:50 departure and SDC/Standby for the 13:40 if I get to the gate on time.
Yep, that's the good plan. You should be OK, but I'd be real nervous about counting on making the early one w/o backing yourself up. A 20+ min delay could really mess you up there (and that's without the AS crew deciding to close the door early on you...)
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
With no checked luggage you'll have a chance.

Otherwise those 70 minutes could be spent waiting for bags to arrive
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by brizone
Yes, absolutely! They love to take your money for a higher fare class.
I'd add that it's been my experience that the website will attempt to charge the change fee for MVPs or nonelites when upfaring except within 24 hours of booking or more than 60 days in advance. Call Reservations and they will upfare without a change fee outside of those windows.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:48 pm

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I have some questions regarding allowed changes on alaska partner awards:

What sorts of changes are allowed?
-Changing departure/destinations?
-Biz to First?
-Changing dates (including stopover dates)?
-Adding alaska flights to partner awards?

I'm particularly interested within the 60 day window before travel. For example, if I book an a business class award and I see a first class seat open up within 60 days of travel, will I have to pay the $125 change fee (in addition to the mileage difference) to upgrade the award? Or is it like AA where upgrading an award can be done for free at all times?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by eelnomis
Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I have some questions regarding allowed changes on alaska partner awards:

What sorts of changes are allowed?
-Changing departure/destinations?
-Biz to First?
-Changing dates (including stopover dates)?
-Adding alaska flights to partner awards?

I'm particularly interested within the 60 day window before travel. For example, if I book an a business class award and I see a first class seat open up within 60 days of travel, will I have to pay the $125 change fee (in addition to the mileage difference) to upgrade the award? Or is it like AA where upgrading an award can be done for free at all times?
Officially without miles from an MVPG or higher, there is a fee for any of these changes. You might find some leeway from an agent with changing your cabin, but that's it. Not like AA.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Today I finally got my first downgrade to premium class from 17C. So now I have six hours in a bulkhead window seat. Lucky me. Do I need to call in with my PNRs to get removed from the "downgrade list" on future flights?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
Today I finally got my first downgrade to premium class from 17C. So now I have six hours in a bulkhead window seat. Lucky me. Do I need to call in with my PNRs to get removed from the "downgrade list" on future flights?
Pretty much if you didn't opt-out when booking. Also you may likely lose your place on the F upgrade waitlist as well
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CDKing
Pretty much if you didn't opt-out when booking. Also you may likely lose your place on the F upgrade waitlist as well
My regular runs ar SEA-BOS & SEA-DCA. The best I ever do on the upgrade list is mid-teens, usually out of 40+. So...not too worried about losing my place.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Going to be on flight 14 next week (SEA-EWR), on a 737-900. It's unclear from Seatguru - is it the window seats (A&F) in Y that have the electronics box that limits legroom, or the middle and aisle seats (BCDE)? Thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:20 am

I have four lounge passes on my Mileage Plan but they are just codes. How do I use my passes? Do I show the code at the lounge desk?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.