Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by czpdx
Just to be sure you understand AS's Million Mile rules, only miles earned flying AS (and Alaska-branded QX and OO flights) count towards it.
And VX since Dec 14, 2016.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by tom911
I would never lock in a frequent flyer program again based on a perceived benefit that may or may not be there in 10-15 years. Fly the carrier that makes the most sense for you in terms of price, routes and current benefits (those current benefits is why I'm flying Alaska domestic), and if you make lifetime along the way fine, but don't commit to a carrier on the basis of a lifetime benefit that may no longer exist when you're ready to use it. The airlines reserve the right to change the program rules at any time and they hold all the cards.
Also who know 10-15 years from now airline may or may not exist or alternate modes of transportation could become available.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by czpdx
Just to be sure you understand AS's Million Mile rules, only miles earned flying AS (and Alaska-branded QX and OO flights) count towards it. EQMs earned on other AS partners such as BA count toward your annual MVPG qualification, but don't do anything for Million Mile status.
Thanks, I did know that part, but I'm a bit confused by other programs...I thought it was BIS on XX-metal for whichever program you went with for Lifetime (Which is one reason why I'm only 200k for AS and UA even though I've flown a lot more). But I saw BA's Lifetime Tier Points chart seemed to use all of the OneWorld partners to accumulate lifetime status, so I wasn't sure.

I'm thinking that for me, sticking with AS is probably still the right move, as I really like the product and the people and am biased towards the Best Coast. But for the kids, who I want to go globetrotting with, maybe the BA/OW Tier Point thing is the way to go...

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by CDKing
Also who know 10-15 years from now airline may or may not exist or alternate modes of transportation could become available.
True. All the changes at UA came about after their merger with CO (and the same with AA after the US merger). Anyone looking ahead in the 10-20 year timeframe for lifetime status with any carrier can't forecast which carriers, as we know them today, will still be around in their current form. Suppose, for example, that Congress opens up foreign ownership of U.S. carriers and all of a sudden you have smaller carriers like Alaska and Jet Blue being owned by Singapore Air or British Airways. Just today I see that BA's parent group, IAG, is a player for Niki, and Air Berlin, who I flew occasionally, is completely gone. There are no guarantees that programs or carriers, as we know them today, will continue to exist.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by brianfromwa
I'm thinking that for me, sticking with AS is probably still the right move, as I really like the product and the people and am biased towards the Best Coast. But for the kids, who I want to go globetrotting with, maybe the BA/OW Tier Point thing is the way to go...
How much have you actually thought this through?

Let's say they somehow manage to fly enough to get lifetime status in that time frame, despite having to travel only during school breaks or on weekend mileage runs. And let's assume that Is there any way to know if they'll even be able to travel much with that airline or alliance once they're done with college? What if they move to ATL or DEN and have to fly on DL or UA as their primary domestic airline? Status with a OneWorld carrier would be of more use than with AS in this case, but they're still starting at square one with another carrier unless they only travel to AA hubs or want to connect for almost all of their domestic trips.

I love having elite status. As someone who's starting to plan some of his 2019 trips already, I also love having things set for the future. But this is an extraordinary investment of time and money for something so speculative.

Last edited by jinglish; Dec 28, 2017 at 12:56 pm
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by jinglish
I have an AA partner award coming up in February with two AS segments, and I've already been upgraded on one and am waitlisted for the other. I have an AA credit card that affords me priority boarding, and I'd like to make sure there's bin space for my bag, so: can I update my FF# on AA's side and not mess with the FF# (and thus my upgrades) on the AS PNR? Crediting isn't a concern since, you know, award flights.
Yes, you can ask AA to change just the AA flights to your Aadvantage # while leaving the AS segments alone. I've had the most (easiest) success by sending AA a DM on Twitter, although it sometimes takes a second request. Your AS upgrades would be fine.
jinglish likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:54 pm

Is there any way to buy EQM? I’m 700 miles short - I had a blonde moment thinking my end of the year trip would push me over, but I realized that the miles from the return trip won’t count since it is on Jan 2nd.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Runner9037
Is there any way to buy EQM? I’m 700 miles short - I had a blonde moment thinking my end of the year trip would push me over, but I realized that the miles from the return trip won’t count since it is on Jan 2nd.
Id give a call and ask. I know they sent out emails offering to buy remaining EQM.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Hello, kiwi from down under.

I signed up to AS early 2017. Just bought enough miles recently for HKG-AKL on CX J (I'm not sure that was a good idea though). I read that buying miles doesn't count as earn (like AA) and have just booked a Best Western stay via AS which I'm hoping will give me another 24 months activity.

I read you needed to be a Best Western member for these stays to accrue to AS (which I did sign up for a few years ago but chopped up the card as I discovered I wasn't really going to be loyal to that programme). Given I actually made the reservation through AS I'm thinking it will still count as earning activity and I don't need to pull out the Best Western card on check-in (because I don't have it!). Or do I need to ask Best Western for another card?

I'm a bit despondent after reading how difficult it is to find CX award availability for AS. I know how to use BA and QF but both route me through Australia rather than the direct flight HKG-AKL/CHC. When I pick a couple of months when I could go I'm just going to call AS and ask for them to search those 2 months for any dates and will fly based on availability. Anyone know if they open any seats close in? Or should I be aiming for 11-12 months in advance?

Thinking about flying Y AKL-HKG as it's a day flight but paying for this during a sale. I want to try out CX's A350 in all 3 cabins eventually.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:20 pm

I understand that you can book AS award at 11 months out. I want to book one way trip to Boston with stop over in LAX (my home base) then Lisbon.
For example BOS-LAX May 15 2018
LAX- LIS Sept 9 2018
After I fly the 1st segment, Can I change my 2nd segment to May 2019? Since I can only book 11 month out, so I am thinking about booking any date in Sep then change it later when the award in May 2019 is open up. I don't mind paying for the change fee. I just want to know if this allow

I posted the same question in the wrong forum and someone told me that I can't can't change an award reservation after the first segment has been flown. Is this correct?

They also told me that my routing (back track) is not allow. ( I read from one of the blog said that back track is allow). So, I search on AS website with the same exact itinerary above. I am able to redeem my mile 45K+$47.40 for 2 one way tickets with for this route. I have not book the award because I want to know if I can change the date on my 2nd section. Any advice?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
What’s the update on reciprocal lounge access when flying Virgin America?

I have moved my flying to AS/VX but kept my lounge membership with Admirals Club due to the generous authorized user benefit on the Citi Exec card. As an AC member flying VX flights am I allowed Alaska Lounge access yet? I could’ve sworn I read I would be effective January 1st but can’t find confirmation. Need to know what terminal to enter LAX through next weekend.

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lets move new questions to the 2018 thread in the sticky area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.