Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dracof
Hi there! My dad just earned WN A-list preferred and companion pass for 2018, and I read that he can status match to AS 75k status. Two questions:

1. Is it useful to wait until Jan. 1 to request the status match (i.e., would he then be given status for 2018 and 2019), or will they only grant the match through 2018 no matter when we request?
2. Does the status match still come with the ability to gift MVP? I know the match doesn't come with the 50k bonus points, but it seems like all the other perks remain intact. Hoping to use that as my finder's fee...haha!

Thanks so much for your help!
YMMV but i heard AS was only matching some people to MVP since status is earned via CC spend (WN California promo)
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by CDKing
YMMV but i heard AS was only matching some people to MVP since status is earned via CC spend (WN California promo)
while companion pass can indeed be earned by CC spend, OP also mentioned A list preferred which I believe can only be earned by flying and is a level loosely equivalent to 75K. if i were the OP's father i would request a 75K status match and include 2017 annual statements showing that the status was earned by BIS flying. but it is indeed a YMMV case as i don't know how closely AS really looks at what is submitted.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
Ooo, okay, that would be unfortunate, especially because he earned both his status and the CP through actual flights. Hopefully the A-list status will help his case, since that can't be earned with CC spend. Thanks for the help!

Originally Posted by rustykettel
No, at this point until next fall, matches will be until the end of 2018 only. No need to wait!^
Thank you so much! That's great info. I'll get it in ASAP.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
while companion pass can indeed be earned by CC spend, OP also mentioned A list preferred which I believe can only be earned by flying and is a level loosely equivalent to 75K. if i were the OP's father i would request a 75K status match and include 2017 annual statements showing that the status was earned by BIS flying. but it is indeed a YMMV case as i don't know how closely AS really looks at what is submitted.
AL+ is earned at 50 segments, which is below the MVPG requirement. So potentially a very generous boost by AS to match to 75k
Old Dec 22, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Quick Question on Cancellation for deposit into travel bank. I want to burn some Chase UR points to buy a ticket for the wife and I however I can't get them booked into the auto-MVPG upgrade class. My thought was to buy tickets 6 months in the future, wait the 24 hours, and then cancel them into my wallet to then purchase the correct fares plus the difference. If I recall correctly you can cancel AS tickets booked anywhere into your wallet as long as its more than 60 days out correct?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Thanks for the responses Flying for Fun, synergistic and jinglish!

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The 500 mile minimum + the COS bonus is EQM! Poster was asking about RDM for the flight. The 75% COS bonus is for F & P so not just full-fare. Discounted F (P) will also earn the same COS. For paid F on any flight < 500 miles the EQM would be 500 + (0.75)*500 = 875 as you stated. The RDM would be equal to EQM for a non-elite member. However, an Elite will get additional bonus RDM as follows based on the flight miles only.

Non Elite 875 RDM
MVP (50%) 875 + 250 = 1125 RDM
MVPG (100%) 875 + 500 = 1375 RDM
MVPG75K (125%) = 875 + 625 = 1500 RDM.

You could also earn these RDM's on the 92 mile flight Seattle to/from Bellingham. There are mainline flights on this route as they reposition for the Bellingham to Hawaii flights.

James

PS. Paid F will give you AL access too.
What is AL?

I indeed don't have AS status. Planning to take my first AS flight in March 2018.
For the date I'm looking at on AS 704, K class costs $91 vs. P class $140.
I have the Alaska Business card making me eligible for 1 free check-in bag. If I buy K class, would it be ok for me bring my 2nd bag as a carry on if it weighs 25-30lbs within the stated dimensions?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by hightide

What is AL?

I indeed don't have AS status. Planning to take my first AS flight in March 2018.
I have the Alaska Business card making me eligible for 1 free check-in bag. If I buy K class, would it be ok for me bring my 2nd bag as a carry on if it weighs 25-30lbs within the stated dimensions?
Alaska Lounge

alaskaair.com/boardroom
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
If I buy K class, would it be ok for me bring my 2nd bag as a carry on if it weighs 25-30lbs within the stated dimensions?
If it meets the published carry on dimensions, you're fine. Alaska doesn't have a stated weight limit for carryons, just that you're supposed to lift it into the overhead or underneath the seat yourself without requiring assistance from an employee.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

What is AL?

AL is the Alaska Lounge. Without a membefship or an F cabin purchased Fare a daypass is $45.

I don't see a weight restriction on carry-on baggage but anything over 50 pounds is considered overweight and incurs additional fees. Typicaly my carry-on weighs in at 17-20 pounds so a carry-on compliant bag with 25-30 pounds seems heavy. I don't see a problem if it is <50 pounds, indeed within dimension when packed and you can safely place it into the overhead bin yourself. You may be able to check that bag at the gate for free on a busy flight. You can ask at the gate and often they will make an announcemet looking for volunteers. Keep in mind that as a non-elite there may be limited bin space by the time you actually get to board.

I would recommend purchasing the P fare for the $49.00 difference for the added benefits:

1) Alaska Loung access $45 Value
2) 2 Free checked bags $50 Value
3) First to board - after pre-board
4) Dedicated overhead bin storage
5) 75% Class of Service bonus EQM
6) E175 you can have both a window and an aisle!
7) Cheaper than paid upgrade at OLCI ($50)
8) Upgrades book into U so no COS bonus.

James
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: Alaska
Getting to Gold...

Ok, it's that time of year. I'm a bit over 5k miles from gold. I was going to get a credit card, but I'd have to wait for the card to arrive, then spend $1000 and I don't think I'll have time for that (or $1000 worth of stuff I need). I've signed up for a Groupon account and bought a dinner deal (1000 miles).

I see that I can get 5k miles by signing up for RocketMiles and booking an $80 hotel room nearby. I'll call it a boondoggle holiday, and maybe not even show up.

Any issues with this? Any chance it doesn't post my miles in time and I'm out $80 for no reason?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Matt the Engineer
Getting to Gold...

Ok, it's that time of year. I'm a bit over 5k miles from gold. I was going to get a credit card, but I'd have to wait for the card to arrive, then spend $1000 and I don't think I'll have time for that (or $1000 worth of stuff I need). I've signed up for a Groupon account and bought a dinner deal (1000 miles).

I see that I can get 5k miles by signing up for RocketMiles and booking an $80 hotel room nearby. I'll call it a boondoggle holiday, and maybe not even show up.

Any issues with this? Any chance it doesn't post my miles in time and I'm out $80 for no reason?
none of those would get you 5,000 elite miles unfortunately
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:48 pm

I'm pretty new to this. Do you mean they only count toward the "partner qualifying miles", not "Alaska miles"? I never know what counts for which - it seems like plenty of "partners" count in the "Alaska miles" section.

Ok, so here's my next question: how do I get 5254 miles in the next 8 days, short of booking myself a flight?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Matt the Engineer
I'm pretty new to this. Do you mean they only count toward the "partner qualifying miles", not "Alaska miles"? I never know what counts for which - it seems like plenty of "partners" count in the "Alaska miles" section.

Ok, so here's my next question: how do I get 5254 miles in the next 8 days, short of booking myself a flight?
Only flight-earned miles count toward elite qualification. You can get hotel and car rental miles out the wazoo, but you have to put your butt in a seat to hit MVP.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:56 pm

Does that hold for the credit card as well?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:01 pm

Just called to verify - you are correct. Not even the credit card counts. Thanks for the help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.