Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat 2A
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.

For anyone desiring a more structured or organized submission, here is a template (You'll need to add a / before the last bracketed B as in [/b]):

[B]Date of Flight[B]:
[B]Flight Number and Route flown[B]:
[B]Time of Departure[B]:
[B]Length of flight[B]:
[B]Class of service[B]:
[B]Pre-Departure Beverage service[B]:
[B]Meal served[B]:
[B]Meal Description[B]: .

[B]Additional Comments[B]:
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
How was the ham frittata? Does it fill the entire serving dish? If so, looks like a pretty generous portion and probably more filling that whatever is being served in F.
Yes, it was quite substantial and filling. It also came with a corn muffin. Plenty of pieces of ham in there. If it was plated like an F entree it would be the equal of most any breakfast I've had on AS.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Just a follow-up: I received an e-mail response from Alaska Listens; very specific to my issue. It also indicated that I would be receiving a $50 e-certificate for use on a future flight. This is entirely reasonable and I'm satisfied with the response.

Originally Posted by Kurt
Wow, I didn't think this would draw such a response. No cereal on transcons!

To clarify, I asked for something from the back and got a Tom Douglas ham fritatta without charge. It was served with the setup from the F breakfast; fruit and a blueberry muffin. The (very young) crew was very nice and handled the situation well.

I wrote to Alaska Cares; we'll see what response I receive.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Date of Flight: October 7, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 707 SEA-RDU
Time of Departure: 7:55am
Length of flight: 5:00
Class of service: First
Meal served: Breakfast
Meal Description: Quiche with red and green peppers and onions or granola and yogurt.
Additional Comments: Slightly different from the usual asparagus quiche, but only slightly. Two stalks of asparagus were plated with the quiche. Warm mixed nuts were offered about an hour and a half after the meal and the snack basket made the rounds about an hour before arrival.

Is it just me or does anyone else here think the mid flight mixed nut offering seems out of place? I generally enjoy mixed nuts as an accompaniment to cocktails prior to lunch or dinner. When they're offered by themselves at 11:30am PDT, it's a bit early for cocktails (at least for me it is) and having recently finished breakfast only an hour and a half earlier, I'm not really hungry for anything. As such I always decline the nuts.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 11, 2017 at 9:15 pm
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Date of Flight: October 8, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 753 RDU-SEA
Time of Departure: 5:10pm
Length of flight: 5:30
Meal served: Dinner
Meal Description: Cod with Red Curry Sauce or Cheese Ravioli
Additional Comments: I'm not a big fan of cod, but I'm even less a fan of bland, mushy cheese ravioli. I mean - bland, mushy cheese ravioli is fine for a Portland to Burbank regional jet flight, especially if your dentures won't stay in, but for a 5 hour transcon dinner I'd hope that we might see the creative talents of Chef Douglas and his team employed a tad more creatively - say, a spicy veggie stir fry or a more flavorful pasta dish, one of which I enjoyed and reviewed just a few posts back.

Anyway, I defaulted to the cod which I quite enjoyed. The sauce was as flavorful as it was plentiful and the accompanying medley of stir-fried veggies was delicious.

I celebrated my attainment on this flight of Lifetime MVP Gold status with a serving of the Chunderpuck Cheesecake (Chunder Bay? Chuckalump? Chufflelunk? Sorry - I lost the menu) Washed down with coffee and Baileys, it provided a delectably decadent finish to the meal.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 11, 2017 at 9:22 pm
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kurt
Just a follow-up: I received an e-mail response from Alaska Listens; very specific to my issue. (Breakfast served on a 9:55am transcon departure with only granola left by row 3)It also indicated that I would be receiving a $50 e-certificate for use on a future flight. This is entirely reasonable and I'm satisfied with the response.
Just curious...

Since you mention that Alaska's response was "very specific to (your) issue"...

Did Alaska's response clearly indicate that it would henceforth cease and desist from serving breakfast on transcon flights departing after a certain time - like say, 9:30am? This would seem unlikely.

Additionally I'm not sure how Alaska could address the problem of only granola left by row 3 short of ceasing to offer granola on these flights. Row 3 (on the -700s & -800s) is generally always going to get stuck with the dregs most other passengers don't want. Somehow, I don't see Alaska changing their catering on this.

Enjoy your $50.00 though. One possible use of your windfall would be to employ it toward the occasional purchase of a decent feed prior to the flight on the next few times you're stuck in the last row.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 12, 2017 at 8:08 am
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
DATE - 11 Oct
FLIGHT - VX1874
ROUTE - SEA-LAX
DEPARTURE TIME - 0740 (scheduled; actual pushback ~0805)

scrambled eggs garnished with chopped chives and half an oven-roasted (?) grape tomato, accompanied by two half-slices of French toast with a spicy peach (?) compote and syrup ... everything was actually rather tasty

the other choice was a “protein plate” which the FA described as pita wedges with turkey and cheese and vegetables — not really what comes to mind when I think of breakfast

the little plastic airplane salt-and-pepper shaker was a very clever touch
Attached Images  
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I celebrated my attainment on this flight of Lifetime MVP Gold status with a serving of the Chunderpuck Cheesecake (Chunder Bay? Chuckalump? Chufflelunk? Sorry - I lost the menu) Washed down with coffee and Baileys, it provided a delectably decadent finish to the meal.
Congratulations Seat2A on this achievement! Looking forward to your magazine quality reviews of the coach food with your new benefits.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: Alaska Air Miles
Originally Posted by dayone
The third link from the left at the top of the webpage: Explore>Flight schedules>enter From and To, enter.
Thanks for the prompt reply. Im still looking for th Explore link and cant find it on my screen. Ive attached a screenshot of what Im able to see.

- Ben
Attached Images  
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Congratulations Seat2A on this achievement! Looking forward to your magazine quality reviews of the coach food with your new benefits.
^^

What of the festivities?

[I know... another thread]

Excited to see what AS offers in F ANC-FAI tomorrow night
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by bderemer
Thanks for the prompt reply. Im still looking for th Explore link and cant find it on my screen. Ive attached a screenshot of what Im able to see.

- Ben
alaskaair.com
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Air Miles
Originally Posted by beckoa
alaskaair.com
Wow, I feel like a complete duffus that I didnt figure that out, haha.
- Ben
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Per rustykettel: Congratulations Seat2A on this achievement!

Per Beckoa: What of the festivities?

Per 2A: I've got an upcoming flight where I'm stuck in row 4. I believe I'll stop at Waji's for a Chicken Fried Rice bowl to enjoy at leisure later on board the flight.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:27 pm

AS 605 Las Vegas to Seattle October 2017

Date of Flight: October 10, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 605 LAS-SEA
Time of Departure: 1:15pm
Length of flight: 2:03
Meal served: So-called "Lunch"
Meal Description: Quinoa Salad with grilled chicken breast & Caesar dressing, ciabatta roll & Double crunch brownie

Simply disgusting! There is no seasoning and I guess Alaska is cutting back on seasoning now.

Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:31 pm

AS 492 SEA-SAN October 2017

Date of Flight: October 11, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 492 SEA-SAN
Time of Departure: 5:44pm
Length of flight: 2:17
Meal served: So-called "Dinner"
Meal Description: Curry Chicken on top of pickled red onion, barley couscous & sweet potato, mixed green salad with Balsamic dressing, whole wheat roll, and lemon square

I just give up. The food was basically beyond bad. Alaska wants to follow the food trend, but then refuse to spend money. It is just an abomination to call that "curry"! No one put curry chicken on top of couscous. Just go back to the normal comfort food like Lasagna or ravioli or Chicken Parmesan!

Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Carfield
Date of Flight: October 11, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 492 SEA-SAN
Time of Departure: 5:44pm
Length of flight: 2:17
Meal served: So-called "Dinner"
Meal Description: Curry Chicken on top of pickled red onion, barley couscous & sweet potato, mixed green salad with Balsamic dressing, whole wheat roll, and lemon square

I just give up. The food was basically beyond bad. Alaska wants to follow the food trend, but then refuse to spend money. It is just an abomination to call that "curry"! No one put curry chicken on top of couscous. Just go back to the normal comfort food like Lasagna or ravioli or Chicken Parmesan!
That chicken looks like when I take leftover curry out the fridge, after it has cooled down and congealed. Literally no sauce.

Curry works better with cut up chicken versus big chunks of chicken. It allows the seasoning to penetrate the meat better. I have no doubt that breast lacked any flavoring under the skin.

And if your doing curry with pasta (which in itself is a risk unless you know how to season curry correctly); couscous is simply the wrong type.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.