Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat 2A
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.

For anyone desiring a more structured or organized submission, here is a template (You'll need to add a / before the last bracketed B as in [/b]):

[B]Date of Flight[B]:
[B]Flight Number and Route flown[B]:
[B]Time of Departure[B]:
[B]Length of flight[B]:
[B]Class of service[B]:
[B]Pre-Departure Beverage service[B]:
[B]Meal served[B]:
[B]Meal Description[B]: .

[B]Additional Comments[B]:
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:05 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Do FAs in F always take orders from the DF side?
No.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:19 pm
formerly ASTechGuy

Question LAX-LIR/SJO and return - transcon catering?

I've searched through this monster thread, but I don't see any mentions of experience with first class catering to/from Costa Rica. Has anybody had any recent experience they could speak to? The wife and I are doing LIR next week (breakfast down, dinner back) with the ungodly-hour connections from/to SEA to boot, so I'm curious if the LAX-CR and back legs are similar to trans-con/HI or if I should plan on something more modest.

Haven't posted here in a while, but it feels good to be back.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by dayone
No.
Agree.

Row 1 thru 4 ACDF is the norm.

This sometimes does vary on occasion... so YMMV. By far its consistent.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ASTechGuy
I've searched through this monster thread, but I don't see any mentions of experience with first class catering to/from Costa Rica. Has anybody had any recent experience they could speak to? The wife and I are doing LIR next week (breakfast down, dinner back) with the ungodly-hour connections from/to SEA to boot, so I'm curious if the LAX-CR and back legs are similar to trans-con/HI or if I should plan on something more modest.
Two years ago it was a transcon for what I recall (although I was in whY southbound)

Originally Posted by ASTechGuy
Haven't posted here in a while, but it feels good to be back.
Welcome back ^ I hear things are a little busy.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Row 1 thru 4 ACDF is the norm.

This sometimes does vary on occasion... so YMMV. By far its consistent.
once again, anecdata -- my last four lunch/dinner service flights (LAX-SEA 6pm, SEA-DCA, BWI-SEA, and LAX-SEA 430pm) were all Row 1 thru Row 4 right (both FD and DF) followed by left (both AC and CA)
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Annoyed this morning on AS922; they are serving breakfast instead of the indicated lunch; I'm in 3D and it's cereal/yogurt only.

Originally Posted by Kurt
Assuming AS922 (9:55 a.m. departure, shows "Lunch") SEA-BWI would be this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Annoyed this morning on AS922; they are serving breakfast instead of the indicated lunch; I'm in 3D and it's cereal/yogurt only.
That is outrageous. Cereal & yogurt on a flight that long. Who eats cereal at 11 am.? I don't even eat it for breakfast at 7 a.m. I hope you complain loud & clear.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
That is outrageous. Cereal & yogurt on a flight that long. Who eats cereal at 11 am.? I don't even eat it for breakfast at 7 a.m. I hope you complain loud & clear.
OP was in 3D, guessing the hot option ran out leaving cereal & yogurt as the remaining one. Unless OP wants to pay for something from the back.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
OP was in 3D, guessing the hot option ran out leaving cereal & yogurt as the remaining one. Unless OP wants to pay for something from the back.
Yeah, I think that's probably the case because I was on DTW-PDX this morning which is catered for trans con service and we had the omelette or cereal/yogurt option. The FA said that they catered the hot option for 75% of the cabin which I thought was reasonable so my wife and I both had the omelette and we were in 3A/3C.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by rustykettel
The point was they shouldn't even be offering cereal to anyone at around 11 a.m., especially on a transcon where it is already afternoon at the destination.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
The point was they shouldn't even be offering cereal to anyone at around 11 a.m., especially on a transcon where it is already afternoon at the destination.
Description of First Class meal service on Alaska's website

Whether it’s a three-course meal for your trip across the country, or a cheese plate for your short hop to a neighboring city, we take pride in the food, wine, and cocktails that we serve our First Class guests.

For my money, Alaska shouldn't be offering cereal at all in First Class, or at the very least not on transcons.

We're talking here about a "meal" that requires no preparation and is comprised of a few cents worth of granola, another few cents worth of yogurt and maybe $0.25 worth of fruit. And a muffin - whatever that's worth. I feel I'm being pretty generous with those cost estimates given that the flight kitchen buys these items in bulk.

There's no food preparation involved in plating the cereal or yogurt, and no culinary skill is involved - Scoop a half cup of granola into a bowl and splot a couple tablespoons of yogurt into the square container. More to the point, there's really nothing to "take pride in" when putting this paltry meal together. Indeed - I should imagine that the only people at Alaska taking pride in the cold cereal offering are the bean counters in accounting, and they're probably laughing all the way to the bank.

Alaska management will point to a handful of letters from a few health oriented types complaining that the egg or waffle type dishes are too fatty. Perhaps they are, but most people clearly prefer them. After all, you're on an airplane, flying in First Class across the country. For MOST people in this situation, comfort food is in. You can have that little bowl of granola back home, maybe when you're in a hurry to get to work and don't have time for anything more.

There's a reasonable expectation - especially on a 5 hour transcon flight - of enhanced meal service. There's nothing remotely enhanced or special about tossing a scoop of granola into a bowl and throwing in a bit of yogurt. There's a good reason why more often than not, the last breakfast choice left over for those unfortunates stuck back in row 4 is the cold cereal. Why? I certainly can't speak for everyone but I strongly suspect that hot prepared dishes - particularly on a long transcon flight - are perceived to be more filling and, quite frankly, more First Class.

Now I realize its unbecoming to espouse such "strong" views in this forum (as if that's ever stopped me), but I honestly believe that in the interests of a First Class service that an airline truly can be proud of, cereal should only be offered in coach or in First Class on flights of two hours or less. It's an inexpensive enough meal to produce that I can't imagine an airline would suffer too much financial distress if it were to keep some pre-portioned/packaged cereal available to offer to those health conscious passengers to have in lieu of the hot offerings on longer flights.

I've logged 1.5+ million miles on Alaska over the past 40 years and believe me, I've heard more than a few people express their disappointment at the disparity between the hot meal and and the comparatively small and petty cereal option. Based upon the First Class breakfasts and lunches that I've been offered of late aboard Alaska, it seems pretty clear to me that especially with regard to breakfast and lunch, Alaska's emphasis is once again on cost cutting in First Class catering.

And one more thing - the hot buy on board breakfasts and dinners that I've purchased while sat in coach have all been uniformly excellent.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 11, 2017 at 9:49 pm Reason: Stirring up more trouble amidst the complacent cereal accepting types
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Wow, I didn't think this would draw such a response. No cereal on transcons!

To clarify, I asked for something from the back and got a Tom Douglas ham fritatta without charge. It was served with the setup from the F breakfast; fruit and a blueberry muffin. The (very young) crew was very nice and handled the situation well.

I wrote to Alaska Cares; we'll see what response I receive.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: AS
Wow, I didn't think this would draw such a response. No cereal on transcons!

To clarify, I asked for something from the back and got a Tom Douglas ham fritatta without charge. It was served with the setup from the F breakfast; fruit and a blueberry muffin. The (very young) crew was very nice and handled the situation well.

I wrote to Alaska Cares; we'll see what response I receive.
It seems AS needs to be reminded of the promise they made to many F passengers last year. " Product in F will Be greatly improved , AS passengers in F will be pleased ". this is what I was told by F and B manager last summer, personally. It seems they are back to treating all F as upgrades and not as the paying passengers many of us are.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Date of Flight: September 27, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 655 DFW-PDX
Time of Departure: 3:15pm
Length of flight: 3:20
Class of service: First
Pre-Departure Beverage service: Bottled water at seat
Meal served: Luncheon
Meal Description: Asian Salad
Additional Comments: There were no other choices offered. It was salad or salad. I'm not sure what the dressing was, but it didn't taste very "Asian" - whatever that means - usually some sesame, ginger and/or soy flavors involved. Presentation was good but it seemed more like a snack to me. That said, it was a 3:15pm departure. Not bad, not bad...
Attached Images  
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Date of Flight: September 28, 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 38 PDX-FLL
Time of Departure: 8:30am
Length of flight: 5:30
Class of service: First
Pre-Departure Beverage service: Water at seat. No coffee or juice was offered.
Meal served: Breakfast
Meal Description:

Cheese & Scallion Omelet
Served with Yukon Gold Potatoes and Applewood Smoked Bacon
~or~
House Made Toasted Granola
Served with Yogurt

Additional Comments: Both dishes were accompanied by fruit dishes and a muffin. It's worth noting that on this flight at least, the fruit was plated in those "small dish" type containers that Alaska experimented with briefly last year. As such, this effectively removes the possibility of presenting the fruit as a separate appetizer as to do so in such a small dish would frankly look a bit silly. The omelet was tasty enough but was quite small - perhaps 1.83 eggs - and very light on the scallions. A few small flecks is all I saw. By contrast, we were provided with quite a decent amount of bacon.

The nuts seem like a strange offering presented all by themselves about an hour after the last of the breakfast plates were cleared off. Local time was about 11:00am and having only recently finished breakfast, we really didn't need anything. The snack basket seemed much more appropriate as offered about an hour before landing.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.