Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat 2A
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.

For anyone desiring a more structured or organized submission, here is a template (You'll need to add a / before the last bracketed B as in [/b]):

[B]Date of Flight[B]:
[B]Flight Number and Route flown[B]:
[B]Time of Departure[B]:
[B]Length of flight[B]:
[B]Class of service[B]:
[B]Pre-Departure Beverage service[B]:
[B]Meal served[B]:
[B]Meal Description[B]: .

[B]Additional Comments[B]:
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2017)

Old May 3, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pcoll
Finally!!
this is what F&B manager promised at our meeting a year ago. Also indicated we would be able to preorder our meals in F. Sounds like that may be coming soon.
I guess that implementing changes takes much longer than we thought.
Finally what? I guess I don't see a lot changes in the first class catering...that cheesecake has been around for awhile in one form or another and the odd potato salad thing I think shows up again if you go far enough back in the thread. Now if we started seeing steak as an entree or ice cream sundaes showing up for desert, THAT would be a new change. I too am excited about being able to pre-order meals in F, but keep in mind that well over 50% of the meals served in F are on flights with only one choice so unless you fly at lot of Hawaii and transcon flights in F, this probably won't change your travel experience very much.
Old May 3, 2017, 6:52 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
keep in mind that well over 50% of the meals served in F are on flights with only one choice
Probably closer to 80%.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by PT612
Flying Alaska for the first time LGA-DFW on the E-175 in November. Hearing mixed feedback on this, some say the planes have ovens, some don't. Flight leaves at noon. I know I will be served lunch but will it be a cold mean or is there a chance the meal is hot? Thanks!
The E-175 I flew on PDX-BUR had an oven and the dinner served in F was the same served on mainline on similar length routes.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
Probably closer to 80%.
Very true
Old May 4, 2017, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by northwesterner
The E-175 I flew on PDX-BUR had an oven and the dinner served in F was the same served on mainline on similar length routes.
Sounds good thanks! The price was very competitive and I am excited to try Alaska for the first time. Was going to book Y on American but with the 737 pitch reduction news, I feel compelled to spend elsewhere.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
Horizon E175 meal service

Flight: 2790
Route: PDX-STL
Flight Time: 3:54
Meal: Breakfast

As promised, mugs on the QX E175s!

Breakfast was scrambled eggs, marinated black beans and chorizo with pico de gallo, sour cream and tortilla strips. Fruit plate on the side. This was actually really good...chorizo had a real nice kick to it and the beans had good flavor.

Warm nuts were served about an hour prior to arrival.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
Horizon E175 meal service

Flight: 2791
Route: STL-PDX
Flight Time: 4:20
Meal: Lunch

Warm nuts were served with the first drink service (now with real glasses).

Lunch was a tabouleh salad with beef kefta meatballs, tzatziki and flatbread. Lemon square for dessert. To be honest, I wasn't excited about this but dang if that wasn't a good meal. Not super filling but excellent flavor and spices and the flatbread was warmed and soft. I wish we'd ditch the pre-packaged desserts but overall I was pleased.

The QX E175s also have ovens in Y so they had a hot BOB dish for sale on the return trip. I don't think I heard anything for sale on the breakfast flight but that doesn't mean there wasn't - first service for FAs on the new aircraft so they were getting used to it.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the food pics on PDX-STL-PDX....the breakfast looks good although I'm not a fan of black beans for breakfast and that tray is screaming for some kind of a pastry like a blueberry muffin or cream cheese danish. The "lunch" on a 4+ hour flight looks more like a snack and I agree, they need to lose the pre-packaged lemon bar, but this is one of the small meal service differences you'll notice on the E175 vs. the 737....if you would have been on the mainline flight from STL-SEA, you would have had plated warm cookies instead of that yucky lemon bar ^
Old May 4, 2017, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Excited to see glassware on QX

Has QX ever offered glassware before?
Old May 5, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by beckoa
Excited to see glassware on QX

Has QX ever offered glassware before?
Not in my experience. Nice to see the QX E175 being used on PDX-STL, as I was drinking my bloody marys out of a plastic cup on PDX-STL three weeks ago.

Last edited by metallo; May 5, 2017 at 9:03 am
Old May 6, 2017, 10:03 pm

May 7
SEA-KTN
Quiche with feta, broccoli and red pepper flakes served with a side of fruit
or
Granola with yogurt and side of fruit

Does AS not serve breakfast breads on these flights?

JNU-ANC later the same day (no choice - snack flight)
Spinach dip
Carrots, red peppers and some kind of white stick that was shaped like a carrot but was maybe a big radish and 3 little pieces of pita plus a small packaged salted caramel
Old May 6, 2017, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chuck1
May 7
SEA-KTN
Quiche with feta, broccoli and red pepper flakes served with a side of fruit
or
Granola with yogurt and side of fruit

Does AS not serve breakfast breads on these flights?

JNU-ANC later the same day (no choice - snack flight)
Spinach dip
Carrots, red peppers and some kind of white stick that was shaped like a carrot but was maybe a big radish and 3 little pieces of pita plus a small packaged salted caramel
After the F meal overhaul a few years ago, there were breakfast breads included with the fruit on these types of flights but they seem to have all disappeared and now only show up on Hawaii and trans con flights....bummer.
Old May 7, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by mmaster737
Decided to give AS F a try for my fall PVR vacation and I'm regretting it already. VX serves dinner on the 5:40PM PVR-SFO but the 4:20PM AS flight with a 6:10PM arrival is shown on the flight schedule as only serving a snack...is this an error? Unfortunately I only found this out after booking and then reading here how to find out what the meal service will be. The app displayed "Food for purchase" on my reservation which I knew was wrong.
Ok, here's the current meal.

Date of Flight: 5/3/17
Flight Number and Route flown: AS223 PVR-SFO
Time of Departure: 4:41 pm
Length of flight: 3hrs, 31min
Class of service: First
Pre-Departure Beverage service: Dasani bottled water
Meal served: Snack
Meal Description: Yellow coated chicken (curry/saffron?), couscous on spinach topped with marinated onions, garden salad, wheat berry dinner roll, & Dancing Deer lemon square. Plain pretzels served with first drink.

For all those wanting white meat chicken-- well, here it is. Dried out and chewy. Not aerococina's best work I gave up on it and asked for the cheeseburger from the back. So did the person across the aisle. FA said she'd check after finishing dinner service to the rest of the cabin. Fortunately for us, there were some available. Much better than the chicken and even better than AS previous cheeseburgers. Juicy and full of flavor with a complete condiment set. Once again chips were Lay's, not the Tim's in the entree description. Frankly I'm glad. I find Tim's to be overcooked and bland.

The couscous and marinated onion were good but once again I just shake my head at serving something like couscous on a plate to be eaten with a fork. Put it in a bowl and give us a spoon! Salad was missing the dressing which I think was a plating oversight but by then I wasn't interested in it. Lemon square was nice but small.

Additional Comments: Unrefurbed B739. Seat 3A decide to wedge his stinky barefoot feet between 2A's seat the and the wall. Killed my wife's appetite for this flight.

Service was excellent! In addition to getting the cheeseburgers, the F FA was constantly moving through the cabin during the meal and making sure drinks were refilled. This continued at a relaxed pace for the rest of the flight. The forward Y FA also checked on pax as she went through the cabin. I went to the lav while the FA was taking her break. She paused her conversation to ask if she could get anything when I exited. Nope, but I really appreciated the total customer focus.
Attached Images   
Old May 7, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Date of Flight: 5/7/17
Flight Number and Route flown: AS788, SEA-MSY
Time of Departure: 11:40a
Length of flight: ~4:15
Class of service: F
Pre-Departure Beverage service: bottled water brought by FA
Meal served: lunch
Meal Description:
First taste: Premium roasted nuts
Salad: Romaine, roasted tomatoes, bacon, and Parmesan cheese with Caesar dressing
Choice of entree: Roasted chicken with thyme and garlic or Orecchiette primavera pasta. I had the pasta.
Dessert: Ghirardelli's chocolate brownie with Seattle Chocolates Rainier cherry truffle center.

Snack basket about 45 minutes from landing.

Additional Comments:
The pasta was better than the typical Costco-style stuff on mid-con flights. It had pistachio pesto and some vegetables. I was pleased with the brownie, served warmed and a better portion than the mini-cupcake.

As usual, the lone FA up front was taxed. She was by no means dragging her feet, but the first drink came out an hour after wheels up and she cleared dessert plates 3:00 after wheels up.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Date of Flight: May 7 2017
Flight Number and Route flown: AS 678, SEA-DEN
Time of Departure: 7:45 PM
Length of flight: ~2 hours
Class of service: First
Pre-Departure Beverage service: Bottles of water distributed by FA, drink order taken before take-off
Meal served: Described as a beef burrito by the FA
Meal Description: Turned out to be a "deconstructed" burrito, or basically a plate of beef, tomato-corn salsa and tortillas. Accompanied with a green salad and chocolate chip cookie.

Additional Comments:
Well, the picture says it all, the FA said my plate was abnormally soupy, the sauce was average probably the best part of the beef. Overall the plate tasted like a fast casual restaurant equivalent, except the beef seemed like the cheap beef cubes you get in the store for goulash, albeit I don't eat beef very often, it was tender. Salad was usual salad with creamy Italian dressing, had a good amount of tomatoes in the salad, which was a plus. Don't know how this is served as a first class meal, or at least I wouldn't describe it as a burrito. Either way I wish Alaska would punt on this as its overly messy and seems they had some of this left over from Cinco de Mayo celebrations.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.