Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Qantas routes Australia to/from USA Canada
Looking for awards only on LAX-SYD route restricts your options.
AS award chart:---> https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

Note these routes and/or aircraft type may change. Not all routes have flights every day.
May not be up to date
BNE-LAX B330
MEL-DFW B787
MEL-LAX B787 (was the first A380 route for Qantas on 21 October 2008)
MEL-DFW B787
SYD-DFW B787 A380
SYD-HNL
SYD-AKL-JFK B787 (from June 2023)
SYD-LAX A380 B787
SYD-SFO
SYD-YVR
General
The QF A380 have first, business, premium economy & economy classes. Only the A380 has first class.
The QF B787's have, business, premium economy & economy classes. The B787’s do not have first class.
All QF B747's have been retired and sent to the Mojave desert. (July 2020)

QF starts to release their awards 353 days out to QF frequent flyers. But awards can be released any time out to departure. Anyone can join the QF ffp and then search for award availability. Be careful about mixed economy/business QF awards. These have an identifying symbol on the award flight.

A business class flight will give access to the Qantas Club or Qantas Business lounge. Major domestic airports have both a Qantas Club lounge, for mid level Oneworld status holders and paid QF club members, and a better Business lounge, with access by business class of service or top level Oneworld status. Domestic lounges can get very busy at morning and late afternoon peaks.

From QF web site QF seat maps

Qantas Australia domestic
Award availability on QF domestic routes in both business & economy is usually OK. Can be harder on longer routes (say 3~ 4 hour flights).

The workhorse of QF Mainline domestic fleet is the B737-800. QF have 75 of these in a 12J162Y configuration. Some schedules have a A330, some of which have international style business seats. These 2 aircraft types are also used on trans Tasman routes (Australia to New Zealand).
General Qantas information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas

The QantasLink brand is used on regional routes to smaller cities and towns. The aircraft used are Dash 8's (de Havilland Canada DHC-8-200, Bombardier Dash 8 Q300 & Q400) in all an Y configuration, Foker 100 in all 105Y configuration and B717's in 12JY98 or 125Y configuration.
General QantasLink information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

Qantas information Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

AA sub forum thread They have the same problems getting awards on QF and to AU/NZ & South Pacific--->
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)
AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)
FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)
AA Miles Award: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions (master thread)

Revisions
11 Jun 2022 QF announcements removed (except for 2) as AU is open and QF is flying AU<--->USA
15 Jun 2022 Deleted some dead links
11 Dec 2022 Remove redundant links. Revise routes
27 Dec 2022 MEL DFW added
25 Feb 2023 Formatting
13 Aug 2023 Added SYD-SFO
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
The power of the press prevails. J awards are back! Now if they would fix the blocking of the last couple of months of the schedule...
That would be nice but for now I will be searching at 275 days out for my dates next year.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by jeep1
Finally found a business class seat! Dec 12th Vancouver-Sydney
Did you attempt to book it? I often see J on that route, and it errors out on booking.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Did you attempt to book it? I often see J on that route, and it errors out on booking.
I had one JL award error out on me. I waited about 5 minutes and resubmitted. It went through the second time without issue.

James in Puerto Vallarta
tobikosan likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Holding two QF93 MEL-LAX First Class award seats for travel April 25th on AA.com. Plans have changed and I'm not going to be using them. If anyone is interested in coordinated cancel/rebook, PM me.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:57 pm

One seat in F showing on AS website Nov 29 LAX>MEL if anyone is looking for one, go get it...
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:59 pm

Booking Qantas flight on Alaska's site with miles

Hey guys, I booked a few business class tickets to Australia on Qantas for Xmas break. I was given a list of flights by Alaska on Qantas, unfortunately they didn't give me the most direct route to my destination. They didn't give me connecting flights that are available on BA for some odd reason. I called an agent and see if she can book it, she told me if it is not on their website. They can't book it either. Can someone tell me if that is true?

BTW, I love Alaska miles. If I don't have it, I wouldn't be able to visit these small Australian cities and have the ability to come back to Sydney using their one way stop over. I was hoarding Alaska miles for Cathay, but since their availability is so bad at this point. I might as well blow my load on Qantas.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What QF routes were not offered?
May have been award availability issues.
Were you looking only for business class or economy?

Main QF thread --> Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:14 am

SYD>MEL>ADE

It ended up taking me to Alice Springs instead. The tickets are available on BA, but apparently not Alaska
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattack4000
SYD>MEL>ADE

It ended up taking me to Alice Springs instead. The tickets are available on BA, but apparently not Alaska
I guess you mean Adelaide ADL
Anyway Alice is a different unique part of Oz. Only a short 350km to the rock
Little surprised MEL-ADL was not available

Great Circle Mapper
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:09 am

I think Alaska's website was just being weird. I will lose a few hours, but at least I got a winter (summer to you guys) flight for the family
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think Alaska's website was just being weird.
I will lose a few hours, but at least I got a winter (summer to you guys) flight for the family
If more than 1 person award availability may be the issue.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
I called an agent and see if she can book it, she told me if it is not on their website. They can't book it either. Can someone tell me if that is true?
I believe it is; my understanding is that phone agents have the same booking tool we do for award tickets. The exception is partners like Cathay Pacific that aren’t available online at all on Alaska. (By the way, when you said Cathay Pacific availability is awful, did you know that you do have to call Alaska for them?)
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by ashill

I believe it is; my understanding is that phone agents have the same booking tool we do for award tickets. The exception is partners like Cathay Pacific that aren’t available online at all on Alaska. (By the way, when you said Cathay Pacific availability is awful, did you know that you do have to call Alaska for them?)
I search for them via BA and Qantas, it's usually only premium economy that is available.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:28 pm

Anyone know if QF typically blocks awards the last/first week of the year? I was able to snag two F LAX->SYD on 12/22/19, but I'm trying to return sometime around 1/5, and there's absolutely nothing available. Is this normal? Would I need to wait until close in to try?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by KnownasEric
Anyone know if QF typically blocks awards the last/first week of the year? I was able to snag two F LAX->SYD on 12/22/19, but I'm trying to return sometime around 1/5, and there's absolutely nothing available. Is this normal? Would I need to wait until close in to try?
Not. Going. To. Happen.
Congrats on the outbound but forget about getting award seats home. QF typically doesn't release any F seats until mid-January at the earliest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.