Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Qantas routes Australia to/from USA Canada
Looking for awards only on LAX-SYD route restricts your options.
AS award chart:---> https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

Note these routes and/or aircraft type may change. Not all routes have flights every day.
May not be up to date
BNE-LAX B330
MEL-DFW B787
MEL-LAX B787 (was the first A380 route for Qantas on 21 October 2008)
MEL-DFW B787
SYD-DFW B787 A380
SYD-HNL
SYD-AKL-JFK B787 (from June 2023)
SYD-LAX A380 B787
SYD-SFO
SYD-YVR
General
The QF A380 have first, business, premium economy & economy classes. Only the A380 has first class.
The QF B787's have, business, premium economy & economy classes. The B787’s do not have first class.
All QF B747's have been retired and sent to the Mojave desert. (July 2020)

QF starts to release their awards 353 days out to QF frequent flyers. But awards can be released any time out to departure. Anyone can join the QF ffp and then search for award availability. Be careful about mixed economy/business QF awards. These have an identifying symbol on the award flight.

A business class flight will give access to the Qantas Club or Qantas Business lounge. Major domestic airports have both a Qantas Club lounge, for mid level Oneworld status holders and paid QF club members, and a better Business lounge, with access by business class of service or top level Oneworld status. Domestic lounges can get very busy at morning and late afternoon peaks.

From QF web site QF seat maps

Qantas Australia domestic
Award availability on QF domestic routes in both business & economy is usually OK. Can be harder on longer routes (say 3~ 4 hour flights).

The workhorse of QF Mainline domestic fleet is the B737-800. QF have 75 of these in a 12J162Y configuration. Some schedules have a A330, some of which have international style business seats. These 2 aircraft types are also used on trans Tasman routes (Australia to New Zealand).
General Qantas information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas

The QantasLink brand is used on regional routes to smaller cities and towns. The aircraft used are Dash 8's (de Havilland Canada DHC-8-200, Bombardier Dash 8 Q300 & Q400) in all an Y configuration, Foker 100 in all 105Y configuration and B717's in 12JY98 or 125Y configuration.
General QantasLink information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

Qantas information Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

AA sub forum thread They have the same problems getting awards on QF and to AU/NZ & South Pacific--->
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)
AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)
FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)
AA Miles Award: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions (master thread)

Revisions
11 Jun 2022 QF announcements removed (except for 2) as AU is open and QF is flying AU<--->USA
15 Jun 2022 Deleted some dead links
11 Dec 2022 Remove redundant links. Revise routes
27 Dec 2022 MEL DFW added
25 Feb 2023 Formatting
13 Aug 2023 Added SYD-SFO
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Happy does request assistance from time to time. In my experience, whenever I have offered feedback, it has been dismissed and flollowed by a lecture on my apparent error, much like his response to you. Perhaps lack of respons is commensurate with the content of his replies.<br /><br />James
I am sorry you think it is a lecture when I merely state that I understand the process because redeem an award on partner is not something new to me, I also know there are airlines their systems would automatically cancel the reservations after certain time has passed when there is no valid ticket issued against the reservation. That is not a lecture, but gives more information / fact, when Calculon thought I was not aware the difference between a reservation made by an agent versus a reservation made by a customer online, when he also cited AA's held policy on award booking. It is actually not very relevant. I do want to point out the risk of losing an award reservation when ticketing is delayed for too long. It CAN happen.

As I said I have not booked a QF award for quite a while, plus previous experiences were with AA, so no idea on how AS works. It seems to me AS booked awards tend to have more issues than AA booked awards but that is part of the compromises we are willing to make due to its favorable charts.

What I most not understand is why QF system would accept the change yet AS would need to manually call their QF liaison person to get the ticket reissue. That part does not make sense to me.

Other than telling me to be patient, it does not seem anyone, including you, has an explanation on that. I was hoping some one would have more insight, or have some experiences on how AS inner system works. Apparently this is too high an expectation on my part. Sorry to offend you by that. Though I also cannot help but wonder WHY you give me the link of my own post as an "information"? A bad joke?

Last edited by Happy; Sep 14, 2018 at 11:34 pm
Old Sep 15, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Agree.
When I did the change it was around 6 or 7am Friday morning in Australia so I imagined QF system should be in full operation mode.
What I am puzzled is why AS needs to call QF liaison to get it manually confirmed when QF system obviously accepts the change and show the new flight?
It’s easy to be puzzled by the process when you didn’t design the system, nor is it a part of your job to use it.

Might be better to assume that they know what’s needed better than you do? And that they might not be in a position to drop what their [EDIT: guilty of one of my own pet peeves...] doing to fix your ticket ahead of their other work? It’s not hard to imagine that there is some (perhaps minor) technical issue between the AS and QF systems that is impeding the ticketing process.

Last edited by Calculon; Sep 15, 2018 at 7:25 am
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Calculon

It’s easy to be puzzled by the process when you didn’t design the system, nor is it a part of your job to use it.

Might be better to assume that they know what’s needed better than you do? And that they might not be in a position to drop what their doing to fix your ticket ahead of their other work? It’s not hard to imagine that there is some (perhaps minor) technical issue between the AS and QF systems that is impeding the ticketing process.
good point

except .. they’re *
Calculon likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Happy
Did anyone have experiences on reticketing a AS QF award?
Yes.

May have shared this before, but I had a QF award that I changed online to add BNE-MEL. Turns out this didn't reticket and AS did not secure the U space (Biz).

I go to checkin and encounter an issue the night before. Not successful. I was perplexed as AS and QF both showed the seats assigned, and flight segments. Called AS (via skype) and the agent said it had not ticketed. I pushed the issue, and finally got in touch with someone who could help. They reached out to QF and opened up some U class on the flight (a family member was on this as well via BA). This took several hours, and the QF Liaison was reached out to in order to fix. Glad I found out before I got to the checkin counter.

So, things can look ok up until departure. But they might not be.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UPDATE!

This is for Public Service Purpose. Posted my experiences so hopefully in the future if anyone runs into similar situation, they would have better understanding on what might go wrong, and know better on how to get it fixed.

Reticketed today 90 min ago, done by a super knowledgeable, super helpful, and super friendly supervisor after he quickly took a look on the sequence of events on the reservation. There is absolutely NO NEED to talk to QF Liaison Office. The mistake happened when the Queue Desk ONLY revalidated the tickets without reissuance. The supervisor fixed it.

I posted more details on the QF forum when I asked was there other phone number to reach QF to verify whether they have seen a VALID ticket for the reservation. Those who are interested can go over it. Hopefully it would give some useful information on how to handle it in case anyone who runs into similar situation.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30206677-post5.html

The take away is, instead of just waiting when things dont look like based on one's own experiences, CALL to find out where the issue may be. In my case I would wait forever and the issue would still be there due to the Queue Desk has bungled its job - instead of reticketing it, they revalidated it. The supervisor said that ain't going to work!

The revalidation actually took place in less than 2 hours at 5:43pm Pacific Time after the initial queue before 7pm EST. Unfortunately revalidation is NOT the way, it has to be reticketed.

Once I got this supervisor, it took him less than 2 minutes to see where the issue is. He asked what the last ticket numbers I had, and then immediately saw the problem.

To paraphrase his words -
"I see the Queue Desk validated it BUT WE NEED TO RETICKET IT SO THE PARTNER AIRLINES GET THE NEW TICKETS. Let me re-issue the tickets for you now."

He was able to give me the new eTicket Numbers when he came back on the call. The Confirmation email came some 15 min later after we finished the call.

He was also very kind to tell me to check AS account to make sure I see the Receipt now reflects the NEW TICKETS while we are still on the call.
We stayed on the call for a little longer. I told him I have learned to write down the ticket number each time a reservation is ticketed / reticketed. That way I can go back to compare if I indeed receive new ticket on a change or not. He said that was a very good practice to make sure proper reticketing has been done for each change on partner awards. Even agents often are confused especially the newer ones, he said. For him, he has been on the job for almost 32 years now, so he "has seen it all."

I feel there is some design flaw in AS system that the Receipt with Old Ticket Number would reflect the New Itinerary. This threw the first international desk agent off. She insisted the new itinerary was already ticketed but in all reality it was not. For that I think AA system in the past was better that if it is not successfully reticketed you would not even be able to pull up the receipt UA would not show new itinerary on old receipt. Though sometimes you have to do some tricks to get the system kick out the old receipt and show the new ones (using new email address to request a receipt often does the trick.)

Again, I hope the above information and the more detailed one on the thread in QF forum would be of some help for others in the future.

I just feel sorry for the average travelers who have not had knowledge on how airline systems work. That would explain why we sometimes see passengers spend looong time at check in counter while several agents huddled together, pecking on their computers / holding their phones... I would do my best to prevent this ever happen to us on our travels. The only way to make sure that is to take initiatives to get a resolution when experiences told me something was not right.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 15, 2018 at 11:12 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Yes.

May have shared this before, but I had a QF award that I changed online to add BNE-MEL. Turns out this didn't reticket and AS did not secure the U space (Biz).

I go to checkin and encounter an issue the night before. Not successful. I was perplexed as AS and QF both showed the seats assigned, and flight segments. Called AS (via skype) and the agent said it had not ticketed. I pushed the issue, and finally got in touch with someone who could help. They reached out to QF and opened up some U class on the flight (a family member was on this as well via BA). This took several hours, and the QF Liaison was reached out to in order to fix. Glad I found out before I got to the checkin counter.

So, things can look ok up until departure. But they might not be.
Thanks beckoa for posting your experience. It reinforce the need to reticket when there is a change on a partner award, no matter how small (from a 15 min schedule change) or how big (adding a new segment). Any change requires reticketing.

Yes, what the reservation shows is NOT a guarantee what the ticket actually reflects. I am so glad you posted this to show one more time, a reservation and the ability to select seats do NOT mean you are ticketed.

So many people even on Flyertalk, do not understand this very important point - the Reservation does NOT equal to the TICKET. You need to have a TICKET that match with the reservation you see, in order for you to fly that reservation. Truly surprised even on FT, there are still so many who dont realize this. Personally I have learned this from years ago during the UA outsourcing its reservation to India center where the reps often failed to reticket a change on the reservation. It was not until an NZ rep told me, "You may want to contact your travel agent to ticket this reservation. Right now you only have a reservation, but no ticket attached to it. You NEED that ticket to fly." That was after 3 changes on the reservation already, I did not get a single new ticket... Needless to say, from that point on I always always make sure to receive new tickets upon any change on partner awards.

Your experience is exactly what I am afraid of. Worse, because our original flight was at 10am in the morning, the new flight we changed to is 5:30pm in the evening. I dont want to be at check in and be told we are a no show of our morning flight, therefore our subsequent MEL-LAX is automatically canceled! That would be nightmarish to call AS from SYD trying to get back the F seats on QF 93!

It should not take multiple attempts to get this corrected but I am grateful to finally get a great supervisor to go over the ticketing history and quickly found the mishap, proceeded to fix it right away.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 15, 2018 at 11:15 am
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:55 pm

I'm hoping that this is not considered as a rudimentary question. Is it possible to book book economy saver ticket for DFW -MEL on QF using Alaska miles and then upgrade the ticket to premium economy with cash?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stivelio
Is it possible to book book economy saver ticket for DFW -MEL on QF using Alaska miles and then upgrade the ticket to premium economy with cash?
Generally no. QF are not know for offering upgrades for cash at check-in.
And the DFW-SYD PE/business class is popular for paying passengers & QF upgrades & QF/OW/ff partner awards

You can only upgrade QF flights with money(full fare difference) or QF ff points or bid upgrade if offered ( https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...rade/global/en.) Bid upgrade is QF points & cash.
QF points upgrade are far from certain: referred to as "QF upgrade lottery" .
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Generally no. QF are not know for offering upgrades for cash at check-in.
And the DFW-SYD PE/business class is popular for paying passengers & QF upgrades & QF/OW/ff partner awards

You can only upgrade QF flights with money(full fare difference) or QF ff points or bid upgrade if offered ( https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...rade/global/en.) Bid upgrade is QF points & cash.
QF points upgrade are far from certain: referred to as "QF upgrade lottery" .
Thanks. Do you think it's possible to survive dfw->Syd non-stop in QF with 7 and 2 yr old?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you think it's possible to survive DFW->SYD non-stop in QF with 7 and 2 yr old?
100's survive, down the back, on that flight every day
The chances of 3 (or 4?) upgrade offers is low.
QF will fly with empty premium seats.
Enjoy the flight. ^
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Thanks. Do you think it's possible to survive dfw->Syd non-stop in QF with 7 and 2 yr old?
survive? Yes. Wear compression socks and drink a lot of water.

Fun? That it probably will not be. Bring a lot of things to keep the kids busy. It’s a long ride.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Fun? That it probably will not be. Bring a lot of things to keep the kids busy. It’s a long ride.
Its leaves late at night and arrives early morning, so it is a ~16 hour all night flight in the dark.
Crew will darken the cabin to subdue the pax (and reduce their work load)

Anyway from another post by Stivelio is still looking for 4 awards USA Australia.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
I'm looking at booking SYD-SFO next year. QF shows availability most days of the week I'm looking at. BA shows the same availability in business class. Up to 4 seats some days. (QF also shows some MEL-SFO that BA doesn't see.) AS agent can't see any of it.

Any suggests as to how much availability QF needs to have before AS gets any? Apparently 4 is insufficient.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Its leaves late at night and arrives early morning, so it is a ~16 hour all night flight in the dark.
Crew will darken the cabin to subdue the pax (and reduce their work load)

Anyway from another post by Stivelio is still looking for 4 awards USA Australia.
I was able to book 4 QF prem econ seats from SFO-MEL. I'm all set. Thank you all for the suggestions
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Kremmen
I'm looking at booking SYD-SFO next year. QF shows availability most days of the week I'm looking at. BA shows the same availability in business class. Up to 4 seats some days. (QF also shows some MEL-SFO that BA doesn't see.) AS agent can't see any of it.

Any suggests as to how much availability QF needs to have before AS gets any? Apparently 4 is insufficient.
AS agents cannot see anything that is not on the AS website for Qantas. QF site will show seats that are only available to QF members. How far in advance are you looking? Awards on QF are not being made available to AS at 330 days, its a much smaller booking window for QF TPAC. Mid-June is currently the latest right now on AS site for QF. I know it was worse not too long ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.