Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Qantas routes Australia to/from USA Canada
Looking for awards only on LAX-SYD route restricts your options.
AS award chart:---> https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

Note these routes and/or aircraft type may change. Not all routes have flights every day.
May not be up to date
BNE-LAX B330
MEL-DFW B787
MEL-LAX B787 (was the first A380 route for Qantas on 21 October 2008)
MEL-DFW B787
SYD-DFW B787 A380
SYD-HNL
SYD-AKL-JFK B787 (from June 2023)
SYD-LAX A380 B787
SYD-SFO
SYD-YVR
General
The QF A380 have first, business, premium economy & economy classes. Only the A380 has first class.
The QF B787's have, business, premium economy & economy classes. The B787’s do not have first class.
All QF B747's have been retired and sent to the Mojave desert. (July 2020)

QF starts to release their awards 353 days out to QF frequent flyers. But awards can be released any time out to departure. Anyone can join the QF ffp and then search for award availability. Be careful about mixed economy/business QF awards. These have an identifying symbol on the award flight.

A business class flight will give access to the Qantas Club or Qantas Business lounge. Major domestic airports have both a Qantas Club lounge, for mid level Oneworld status holders and paid QF club members, and a better Business lounge, with access by business class of service or top level Oneworld status. Domestic lounges can get very busy at morning and late afternoon peaks.

From QF web site QF seat maps

Qantas Australia domestic
Award availability on QF domestic routes in both business & economy is usually OK. Can be harder on longer routes (say 3~ 4 hour flights).

The workhorse of QF Mainline domestic fleet is the B737-800. QF have 75 of these in a 12J162Y configuration. Some schedules have a A330, some of which have international style business seats. These 2 aircraft types are also used on trans Tasman routes (Australia to New Zealand).
General Qantas information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas

The QantasLink brand is used on regional routes to smaller cities and towns. The aircraft used are Dash 8's (de Havilland Canada DHC-8-200, Bombardier Dash 8 Q300 & Q400) in all an Y configuration, Foker 100 in all 105Y configuration and B717's in 12JY98 or 125Y configuration.
General QantasLink information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

Qantas information Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

AA sub forum thread They have the same problems getting awards on QF and to AU/NZ & South Pacific--->
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)
AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)
FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)
AA Miles Award: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions (master thread)

Revisions
11 Jun 2022 QF announcements removed (except for 2) as AU is open and QF is flying AU<--->USA
15 Jun 2022 Deleted some dead links
11 Dec 2022 Remove redundant links. Revise routes
27 Dec 2022 MEL DFW added
25 Feb 2023 Formatting
13 Aug 2023 Added SYD-SFO
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 7:50 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by tkeppers
Two(!) first class award seats DFW-SYD on Qantas popped up a couple of weeks ago for early March. I was able to see them on Expert Flyer and called the Alaska desk right away, but the AS agent was not able to see the award space.

I have some AA miles also, so I called the AA desk, even though the award seats were NOT showing up on aa.com. Didn't have high hopes, but the AA agent was able to see the space, so I grabbed them and spent the following couple of days doing a happy dance. I'd have rather spent 70K AS miles than 110K AA miles per ticket, but after being told that 2 F tickets to Oz would be almost impossible to come by, I'm super excited to have found a unicorn!

Guess I'll save my AS miles to book CX from SYD-US with a stopover in HKG.
I just got off the LAX-MEL flight in F which I booked with Alaska miles. You'll have a wonderful experience! Glad you were able to snag something even if it wasn't though Alaska.
Old May 19, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
I have some AA miles also, so I called the AA desk, even though the award seats were NOT showing up on aa.com. Didn't have high hopes, but the AA agent was able to see the space, so I grabbed them and spent the following couple of days doing a happy dance. I'd have rather spent 70K AS miles than 110K AA miles per ticket, but after being told that 2 F tickets to Oz would be almost impossible to come by, I'm super excited to have found a unicorn!
Thank you tkeppers for this data point - and congratulations on a nice redemption. I think I'm going to have to the same in order to get 2 F tickets to Australia.
Old May 20, 2018, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by T2A
I just got off the LAX-MEL flight in F which I booked with Alaska miles. You'll have a wonderful experience! Glad you were able to snag something even if it wasn't though Alaska.
Ha... I fly out tomorrow LAX-MEL in F myself and we secured 2F on this flight too
Old May 21, 2018, 1:30 pm
T2A

Originally Posted by beckoa
Ha... I fly out tomorrow LAX-MEL in F myself and we secured 2F on this flight too
Lucky! We had to split our F seats between two flights. Fortunately we were able to get seats together on Cathay for the return trip (one leg J and the other F).

Enjoy your flight and have fun in MEL!
Old May 21, 2018, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by T2A
Lucky! We had to split our F seats between two flights. Fortunately we were able to get seats together on Cathay for the return trip (one leg J and the other F).

Enjoy your flight and have fun in MEL!
Greetings from the QF F lounge.

Do get the calamari and burger.

The steak (for me) was a miss.

Yes we got lucky coming over. Flight is currently F1 so glad we got what we did.

Going back one pax is flying from SYD and the other MEL- but will connect within a few minutes of each other in LAX onto ANC on the mid-day nonstop.
Old May 22, 2018, 1:17 am
T2A

Originally Posted by beckoa
Greetings from the QF F lounge.

Do get the calamari and burger.

The steak (for me) was a miss.

Yes we got lucky coming over. Flight is currently F1 so glad we got what we did.

Going back one pax is flying from SYD and the other MEL- but will connect within a few minutes of each other in LAX onto ANC on the mid-day nonstop.
I agree the squid is great, steak was a miss, the steelhead trout was amazing.

So much food to try!

I wish I would have got to the lounge super early.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:52 am

Another data point on QF award seats being released. I've been watching the week of March 13-19th 2019. Every day, I run a query on EF to check for QF premium availability. This week, at least two new business class seats have been released every day on the BNE-LAX route:
On Monday 5/21, availability appeared for 3/14/19
On Tuesday 5/22, availability opened up for 3/15/19
Today 5/23, availability opened up for 3/16/19

A couple of other F/J seats have opened up on some of QFs other routes for this timeframe, but BNE-LAX is the only one consistently releasing seats each day this week. Nothing is showing up on the Alaska airlines website though. Still, I draw a couple of possible theories from this:
* QF is releasing award seats approx 10 months out (297 days, to be exact)
* These awards are (probably) not being made available to Alaska right away, since they aren't on the website. I haven't tried calling, so not sure if they're bookable over the phone.

Ellice likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, Southwest A-List, United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott/SPG Platinum
* These awards are (probably) not being made available to Alaska right away, since they aren't on the website. I haven't tried calling, so not sure if they're bookable over the phone.
I just did try calling as I can now see space on the exact flight I want on Expert Flyer but not on Alaska's website. No luck - was told if not bookable online, then it isn't available yet through AS.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jaycoh22
I just did try calling as I can now see space on the exact flight I want on Expert Flyer but not on Alaska's website. No luck - was told if not bookable online, then it isn't available yet through AS.
AS agents are using the same interface to book all non-CX flights as is used for the website. It's safe to assume "not on website, not bookable on phone".
Old May 23, 2018, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by jaycoh22
This was my experience too. A few weeks ago, I saw space on ExpertFlyer for DFW-SYD for 2 first class seats in late Feb 2019. I called AS right away and they could not see space. Turned around and called AA and they were able to see the space and book the tickets using my AA miles. Cost a lot more miles with AA than AS though.

I wonder if the awards are only visible to Alaska only after they are available to the OneWorld partners for a certain length of time?
Old May 23, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
I have tried calling several times, one agent escalated the matter and really tried to help me, but to no avail. It does seem as Qantas awards (initially) are somehow blocked from Alaska Airlines.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
Thank you tkeppers for this data point - and congratulations on a nice redemption. I think I'm going to have to the same in order to get 2 F tickets to Australia.
Just booked two in F MEL-LAX late in February. Same story a tkeppers in that the seats couldn't be booked through Alaska, but the friendly American agent found and booked them right away. Didn't want to spend the 110K vs 70K per seat on Alaska, but it's still a valued redemption for myself and the Mrs. Now, how to get there....

Last edited by jimmygottfredson; May 25, 2018 at 11:34 am
Old May 24, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
this is frustrating to learn, but valuable information. AS miles are already hard enough to use, but the fact that they're a 2nd or 3rd tier partner when it comes to QF is disappointing to see direct evidence for.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
this is frustrating to learn, but valuable information. AS miles are already hard enough to use, but the fact that they're a 2nd or 3rd tier partner when it comes to QF is disappointing to see direct evidence for.
AS is too busy selling miles and the partners are not happy. come 2019 expect no QF flights other than domestic.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
AS is too busy selling miles and the partners are not happy. come 2019 expect no QF flights other than domestic.
Source?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.