Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Qantas routes Australia to/from USA Canada
Looking for awards only on LAX-SYD route restricts your options.
AS award chart:---> https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

Note these routes and/or aircraft type may change. Not all routes have flights every day.
May not be up to date
BNE-LAX B330
MEL-DFW B787
MEL-LAX B787 (was the first A380 route for Qantas on 21 October 2008)
MEL-DFW B787
SYD-DFW B787 A380
SYD-HNL
SYD-AKL-JFK B787 (from June 2023)
SYD-LAX A380 B787
SYD-SFO
SYD-YVR
General
The QF A380 have first, business, premium economy & economy classes. Only the A380 has first class.
The QF B787's have, business, premium economy & economy classes. The B787’s do not have first class.
All QF B747's have been retired and sent to the Mojave desert. (July 2020)

QF starts to release their awards 353 days out to QF frequent flyers. But awards can be released any time out to departure. Anyone can join the QF ffp and then search for award availability. Be careful about mixed economy/business QF awards. These have an identifying symbol on the award flight.

A business class flight will give access to the Qantas Club or Qantas Business lounge. Major domestic airports have both a Qantas Club lounge, for mid level Oneworld status holders and paid QF club members, and a better Business lounge, with access by business class of service or top level Oneworld status. Domestic lounges can get very busy at morning and late afternoon peaks.

From QF web site QF seat maps

Qantas Australia domestic
Award availability on QF domestic routes in both business & economy is usually OK. Can be harder on longer routes (say 3~ 4 hour flights).

The workhorse of QF Mainline domestic fleet is the B737-800. QF have 75 of these in a 12J162Y configuration. Some schedules have a A330, some of which have international style business seats. These 2 aircraft types are also used on trans Tasman routes (Australia to New Zealand).
General Qantas information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas

The QantasLink brand is used on regional routes to smaller cities and towns. The aircraft used are Dash 8's (de Havilland Canada DHC-8-200, Bombardier Dash 8 Q300 & Q400) in all an Y configuration, Foker 100 in all 105Y configuration and B717's in 12JY98 or 125Y configuration.
General QantasLink information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

Qantas information Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

AA sub forum thread They have the same problems getting awards on QF and to AU/NZ & South Pacific--->
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)
AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)
FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)
AA Miles Award: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions (master thread)

Revisions
11 Jun 2022 QF announcements removed (except for 2) as AU is open and QF is flying AU<--->USA
15 Jun 2022 Deleted some dead links
11 Dec 2022 Remove redundant links. Revise routes
27 Dec 2022 MEL DFW added
25 Feb 2023 Formatting
13 Aug 2023 Added SYD-SFO
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: QF, LM, USDM, AA
Obviously, that's why they made a partnership with Qantas because all the people in Australia don't really matter to AS, thanks for that contribution...

And AS already allow for Asia to Europe awards on CX so not sure what you're going on about, but if they want to be a bit more of a viable alliance to challenge some of the others rather than a bit of a joke maybe they should spread their horizon away from being so US centric.... SQ and AY have large Europe-Asia networks so it hardly seems so left field to actually offer a few such redemption options, if they could ever get their act together and actually cement the award requirements with these two airlines which seem to have been hanging in limbo for 9-12 months...

PS and yes I have flown some AS flights, thanks for your interest....
Old May 7, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by casanovawa
Obviously, that's why they made a partnership with Qantas because all the people in Australia don't really matter to AS, thanks for that contribution...

And AS already allow for Asia to Europe awards on CX so not sure what you're going on about, but if they want to be a bit more of a viable alliance to challenge some of the others rather than a bit of a joke maybe they should spread their horizon away from being so US centric.... SQ and AY have large Europe-Asia networks so it hardly seems so left field to actually offer a few such redemption options, if they could ever get their act together and actually cement the award requirements with these two airlines which seem to have been hanging in limbo for 9-12 months...

No its for North Americans travelling to Australia and around Australia, you just get a nice bonus because AS decided to be extra generous and not require a north american leg attached. Yea there are a few nice intra-regional charts but don't mistake it for AS wanting foreigners to use it as a mileage piggy bank. If they did there would be no regional restrictions with any partner. Alaska is a regional carrier so what the heck do you expect.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by casanovawa

AS isn’t and will never be BD, US, AV and those airlines that angle for business based on wanting to attract Australians who want to fly F and J on partners at 10% of retail cost. They do have some sweet spots in the chart you can use at the moment. Enjoy them and realize the limitations - AS is a USA based regional airline and they are primarily catering to their customers in their geographical area of service, not the FT schemer crowd.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: QF, LM, USDM, AA
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

AS isn’t and will never be BD, US, AV and those airlines that angle for business based on wanting to attract Australians who want to fly F and J on partners at 10% of retail cost. They do have some sweet spots in the chart you can use at the moment. Enjoy them and realize the limitations - AS is a USA based regional airline and they are primarily catering to their customers in their geographical area of service, not the FT schemer crowd.
Mores the pity they won't, but anyway disregarding all the red herrings expecting an alliance to not have all options leading solely to the USA isn't actually a big ask... For most of the rest of the world anyway....

I guess we'll just except AS for the very limited vision it has...

Like some other half baked faux alliances like Etihad's for example, that is falling apart at the seams...
Old May 7, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Alaska is not trying to build an alliance. They partner with airlines in cases where it makes sense to provide feed into and out of Alaska’s service areas. The “hey, I want to fly out of Australia in J/F for pennies on the dollar” crowd is not their target market for partnerships (the sweet spots that exist are happy coincidence not a plan). Sorry.
jinglish and T2A like this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 7, 2018 at 2:48 pm
Old May 12, 2018, 1:38 pm

AS not seeing QF/EK space?

QF and EK both show availability SYD-CHC for 12/25 and 12/27 on different flights.
AS online tool doesn't see it, and neither does the agent.
Any idea why?

Looking to add the segment to the booked JFK-LAX-SYD on QF.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stevento
QF and EK both show availability SYD-CHC for 12/25 and 12/27 on different flights.
Any idea why?

No idea whether AS is just broken or space is being withheld, its been a problem for a while now.
Old May 12, 2018, 3:56 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
I see 2 seats in J for JFK-LAX-SYD-CHC on the AS website for 12/25. Wonder if changing from a US-Australia award to a US-New Zealand award is causing problems? Or maybe the space is just available now and wasn’t before.
Old May 12, 2018, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It used to be you could book at 330 days. Then intl QF space started to have a month or 2 delay. Looks like the last available dates I can see are first week on January. The booking window seems to be shrinking. most other TPAC carriers are displaying just fine like Korean and Fiji. Though one additional carrier seems to have disappeared and that is American
Old May 12, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any idea why?

Logging into my QF ffp account I can see for

25 Dec
QF139 18:45 23:55 economy award
EK412 08:45 13:50 economy, business & first award

27 Dec
QF139 18:45 23:55 economy award
EK412 08:45 13:50 economy award

Can you have an EK flight on an AS award with QF?
There is a date change on flights USA - Aust/NZ, due to crossing the date line.

Or you could book as a separate award or cash ticket. But that has the risks of separate tickets, check-in & possible visa/passports issues.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 12, 2018 at 6:47 pm Reason: corrected times
Old May 12, 2018, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by tonei
I see 2 seats in J for JFK-LAX-SYD-CHC on the AS website for 12/25. Wonder if changing from a US-Australia award to a US-New Zealand award is causing problems? Or maybe the space is just available now and wasn’t before.
exactly - 12/27 SYD-CHC is available as part of the JFK-CHC itinerary originating on 12/25, but not available separately.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:27 pm

Keep looking guys. I was able to snatch one for next year this morning in F. Happy dance that I found a "unicorn!"
Old May 16, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
exactly - 12/27 SYD-CHC is available as part of the JFK-CHC itinerary originating on 12/25, but not available separately.
AS will not ticket an Australia to New Zealand award on its own, but it will permit Australia as a connection point or stopover on the way from US to New Zealand. I can vouch that it is possible to add a New Zealand leg to an already booked US to Australia award but in my experience not all phone agents are as adept as others.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flybie
Keep looking guys. I was able to snatch one for next year this morning in F. Happy dance that I found a "unicorn!"
I saw space pop up at one point for DFW-SYD but it was a day after i needed it to be for. I did get SYD-DFW booked a few months ago for travel at the end of the month
Old May 17, 2018, 4:30 pm

Two(!) first class award seats DFW-SYD on Qantas popped up a couple of weeks ago for early March. I was able to see them on Expert Flyer and called the Alaska desk right away, but the AS agent was not able to see the award space.

I have some AA miles also, so I called the AA desk, even though the award seats were NOT showing up on aa.com. Didn't have high hopes, but the AA agent was able to see the space, so I grabbed them and spent the following couple of days doing a happy dance. I'd have rather spent 70K AS miles than 110K AA miles per ticket, but after being told that 2 F tickets to Oz would be almost impossible to come by, I'm super excited to have found a unicorn!

Guess I'll save my AS miles to book CX from SYD-US with a stopover in HKG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.