Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Qantas routes Australia to/from USA Canada
Looking for awards only on LAX-SYD route restricts your options.
AS award chart:---> https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

Note these routes and/or aircraft type may change. Not all routes have flights every day.
May not be up to date
BNE-LAX B330
MEL-DFW B787
MEL-LAX B787 (was the first A380 route for Qantas on 21 October 2008)
MEL-DFW B787
SYD-DFW B787 A380
SYD-HNL
SYD-AKL-JFK B787 (from June 2023)
SYD-LAX A380 B787
SYD-SFO
SYD-YVR
General
The QF A380 have first, business, premium economy & economy classes. Only the A380 has first class.
The QF B787's have, business, premium economy & economy classes. The B787’s do not have first class.
All QF B747's have been retired and sent to the Mojave desert. (July 2020)

QF starts to release their awards 353 days out to QF frequent flyers. But awards can be released any time out to departure. Anyone can join the QF ffp and then search for award availability. Be careful about mixed economy/business QF awards. These have an identifying symbol on the award flight.

A business class flight will give access to the Qantas Club or Qantas Business lounge. Major domestic airports have both a Qantas Club lounge, for mid level Oneworld status holders and paid QF club members, and a better Business lounge, with access by business class of service or top level Oneworld status. Domestic lounges can get very busy at morning and late afternoon peaks.

From QF web site QF seat maps

Qantas Australia domestic
Award availability on QF domestic routes in both business & economy is usually OK. Can be harder on longer routes (say 3~ 4 hour flights).

The workhorse of QF Mainline domestic fleet is the B737-800. QF have 75 of these in a 12J162Y configuration. Some schedules have a A330, some of which have international style business seats. These 2 aircraft types are also used on trans Tasman routes (Australia to New Zealand).
General Qantas information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas

The QantasLink brand is used on regional routes to smaller cities and towns. The aircraft used are Dash 8's (de Havilland Canada DHC-8-200, Bombardier Dash 8 Q300 & Q400) in all an Y configuration, Foker 100 in all 105Y configuration and B717's in 12JY98 or 125Y configuration.
General QantasLink information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

Qantas information Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

AA sub forum thread They have the same problems getting awards on QF and to AU/NZ & South Pacific--->
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)
AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)
FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)
AA Miles Award: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions (master thread)

Revisions
11 Jun 2022 QF announcements removed (except for 2) as AU is open and QF is flying AU<--->USA
15 Jun 2022 Deleted some dead links
11 Dec 2022 Remove redundant links. Revise routes
27 Dec 2022 MEL DFW added
25 Feb 2023 Formatting
13 Aug 2023 Added SYD-SFO
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2022, 10:55 pm

Programs: QF Gold, CX Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by RaingerRain
Is there any partner business award space from lax to anywhere in Australia?

I looked at many dates, and see a lot of main cabin Qantas award space, but no business award space from lax to anywhere in Australia, ideally looking to fly to Melbourne, but right now just wondering if anyone sees QF business award space?
I managed to fly LAX-SYD in QF Business using AS miles around a week and a half ago. I booked it around three weeks ago.

Aside from that, I have been looking for anything in business between SYD/MEL/BNE-HNL/LAX/DFW for May and June and have not found anything. I found what I thought were a couple in early June a few days ago but when I went to book those, they were phantom availability.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by rabbits5
I managed to fly LAX-SYD in QF Business using AS miles around a week and a half ago. I booked it around three weeks ago.

Aside from that, I have been looking for anything in business between SYD/MEL/BNE-HNL/LAX/DFW for May and June and have not found anything. I found what I thought were a couple in early June a few days ago but when I went to book those, they were phantom availability.
wow great that you were able to book recently, I was ask looking for the same ish flights as you and didnt see any availability after hours of looking, i dont understand, I really thought there would be at least some availability, is Qantas always like this, is availability always so scarce, is it even worth booking with miles in main?
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:09 pm

wow great that you were able to book recently, I was ask looking for the same ish flights as you and didnt see any availability after hours of looking, i dont understand, I really thought there would be at least some availability, is Qantas always like this, is availability always so scarce, is it even worth booking with miles in main?
Yes, Qantas are very stingy with award space and do not make many seats available (particularly on transpacific flights in First or Business).

They often make more award seats available to their own members using Qantas points. For example, I was able to secure one of the flights I wanted from LAX-BNE in Business for late May using Qantas points.

As for whether it is worth using Alaska miles for a Qantas flight in main/economy, that is up to you and how you value your miles. Personally, I feel like I could always find a better use but that depends on your own situation.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
Just FYI, I saw this thread & decided to take a peek at what QF has available next week. Based on the comments on this thread, I'm assuming these results are quite unusual: multiple flights with J availability, but nothing in Y??

Old Jan 31, 2022, 9:51 am
Original Member

I had two business seats booked round trip, SFO to SYD for the end of April.

Then last week Qantas canceled their SFO service for that period.
Instead of providing LAX/SYD, as a protection, it was just canceled.

Alaska partner desk, says all they can do is request Y seats. Qantas won’t allow business to be requested.

I guess joining One World, doesn’t really mean much if that is all the pull they have.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by kirker
Just FYI, I saw this thread & decided to take a peek at what QF has available next week. Based on the comments on this thread, I'm assuming these results are quite unusual: multiple flights with J availability, but nothing in Y??

I don’t think this is common for most days, because if you look for like 2 months from now onwards there is only main cabin, in my hours of searching yesterday I only found like 4 lax to Australia flights this summer with business space, and there is only 1 seat available and I would need 2 seats, and I was really hoping to find business on lax to syd on there a380 and unfortunately did not find any.

Originally Posted by Marvella

Alaska partner desk, says all they can do is request Y seats. Qantas won’t allow business to be requested.

I guess joining One World, doesn’t really mean much if that is all the pull they have.
I know, so sad, they should be able to pull more
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
I don’t think this is common for most days, because if you look for like 2 months from now onwards there is only main cabin, in my hours of searching yesterday I only found like 4 lax to Australia flights this summer with business space, and there is only 1 seat available and I would need 2 seats, and I was really hoping to find business on lax to syd on there a380 and unfortunately did not find any.
I'll hazard a guess that they're only releasing award-ticket inventory to partners (at least in J) within 1-2 weeks of a flight, given all the ongoing uncertainty with Covid – most of all Australia still being largely cut off from tourism, and Americans are effectively forbidden from entering barring special circumstances. Also, early February is normally peak season there – and, by extension, summer is not. I wouldn't personally try to book anything more than a month out, period, given the strong likelihood of QF cancelling flights due to a lack of demand (or perhaps trying to move you over to the MEL flight after all of its J seats are already gone, leaving you up a creek).

Btw QF isn't currently flying the LAX-SYD nonstop, period, abroad its A380, likely because they have nowhere near sufficient demand to merit using such a large aircraft (only its 789 into MEL, which has half the seat count of the A380).
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: UA, AS
Is there any partner business award space from lax to anywhere in Australia?

I looked at many dates, and see a lot of main cabin Qantas award space, but no business award space from lax to anywhere in Australia, ideally looking to fly to Melbourne, but right now just wondering if anyone sees QF business award space?
Yes.

Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:12 am

Btw QF isn't currently flying the LAX-SYD nonstop, period, abroad its A380, likely because they have nowhere near sufficient demand to merit using such a large aircraft (only its 789 into MEL, which has half the seat count of the A380).
This is simply not correct. Qantas are currently flying nonstop between SYD-LAX with most flights on an A380. I flew it 10 days ago.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Yes.

It’s phantom space and is not bookable with AS miles.

There is currently a lot of phantom QF J space showing on AS. If you check it against BA or ExpertFlyer, it also shows it’s not available.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:17 am

I'll hazard a guess that they're only releasing award-ticket inventory to partners (at least in J) within 1-2 weeks of a flight, given all the ongoing uncertainty with Covid – most of all Australia still being largely cut off from tourism, and Americans are effectively forbidden from entering barring special circumstances. Also, early February is normally peak season there – and, by extension, summer is not. I wouldn't personally try to book anything more than a month out, period, given the strong likelihood of QF cancelling flights due to a lack of demand (or perhaps trying to move you over to the MEL flight after all of its J seats are already gone, leaving you up a creek).

The a380 is scheduled for June and July and onwards from lax to syd, and I was hoping to find business award space on it, but I was not able to unfortunately.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marvella

AS was a QF ff partner before OW. Too many people in the AS forum over think the effect of joining Oneworld and the benefits.
USA<--->AU business class awards have been hard to get for years.
For QF top tier status OWE OWS awards are available from 353 days out (vs 330 for AA-AS)
DiamondMile likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 31, 2022 at 12:13 pm
Old Jan 31, 2022, 11:59 am

)Btw QF isn't currently flying the LAX-SYD nonstop, period, abroad its A380, likely because they have nowhere near sufficient demand to merit using such a large aircraft (only its 789 into MEL, which has half the seat count of the A380).

This is live
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

I cannot replicate these results today… system seems updated.

I wonder if the actual TPAC biz class seat was phantom, and the award is really mixed class… coach on the TPAC followed by business class for the connecting domestic sector?
Old Jan 31, 2022, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I cannot replicate these results today… system seems updated.

I wonder if the actual TPAC biz class seat was phantom, and the award is really mixed class… coach on the TPAC followed by business class for the connecting domestic sector?
I was able to replicate them shortly after the post was made and they were bookable (confirmed with ExpertFlyer).

It was actually the opposite (TPAC was in Business, the connecting domestic sector was in Economy).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.