Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Qantas routes Australia to/from USA Canada
Looking for awards only on LAX-SYD route restricts your options.
AS award chart:---> https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

Note these routes and/or aircraft type may change. Not all routes have flights every day.
May not be up to date
BNE-LAX B330
MEL-DFW B787
MEL-LAX B787 (was the first A380 route for Qantas on 21 October 2008)
MEL-DFW B787
SYD-DFW B787 A380
SYD-HNL
SYD-AKL-JFK B787 (from June 2023)
SYD-LAX A380 B787
SYD-SFO
SYD-YVR
General
The QF A380 have first, business, premium economy & economy classes. Only the A380 has first class.
The QF B787's have, business, premium economy & economy classes. The B787’s do not have first class.
All QF B747's have been retired and sent to the Mojave desert. (July 2020)

QF starts to release their awards 353 days out to QF frequent flyers. But awards can be released any time out to departure. Anyone can join the QF ffp and then search for award availability. Be careful about mixed economy/business QF awards. These have an identifying symbol on the award flight.

A business class flight will give access to the Qantas Club or Qantas Business lounge. Major domestic airports have both a Qantas Club lounge, for mid level Oneworld status holders and paid QF club members, and a better Business lounge, with access by business class of service or top level Oneworld status. Domestic lounges can get very busy at morning and late afternoon peaks.

From QF web site QF seat maps

Qantas Australia domestic
Award availability on QF domestic routes in both business & economy is usually OK. Can be harder on longer routes (say 3~ 4 hour flights).

The workhorse of QF Mainline domestic fleet is the B737-800. QF have 75 of these in a 12J162Y configuration. Some schedules have a A330, some of which have international style business seats. These 2 aircraft types are also used on trans Tasman routes (Australia to New Zealand).
General Qantas information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas

The QantasLink brand is used on regional routes to smaller cities and towns. The aircraft used are Dash 8's (de Havilland Canada DHC-8-200, Bombardier Dash 8 Q300 & Q400) in all an Y configuration, Foker 100 in all 105Y configuration and B717's in 12JY98 or 125Y configuration.
General QantasLink information Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

Qantas information Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

AA sub forum thread They have the same problems getting awards on QF and to AU/NZ & South Pacific--->
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)
AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)
FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)
AA Miles Award: TN / Air Tahiti Nui award redemptions (master thread)

Revisions
11 Jun 2022 QF announcements removed (except for 2) as AU is open and QF is flying AU<--->USA
15 Jun 2022 Deleted some dead links
11 Dec 2022 Remove redundant links. Revise routes
27 Dec 2022 MEL DFW added
25 Feb 2023 Formatting
13 Aug 2023 Added SYD-SFO
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: AA, AS, BA, QF
An article on Alaska Program just came out on Business Insider. If any of you is a subscriber to Business Insider maybe you could post a comment regarding the discussion we have been having. Here is URL to the article

https://nordic.businessinsider.com/a...it-card-review
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:55 am

It would not hurt if a bunch of us wrote to both Business Insider and The Point Guy about this... here are the addresses:

[email protected] [email protected]
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:56 am

Business Insider has already updated its article including the following language:

"One thing worth keeping in mind is that it can be difficult to for Alaska members to find availability with certain partners. In particular, members of the frequent flyer forum FlyerTalk have reported that it's become increasingly difficult to find award space in business or first class on Australian partner airline Qantas, even when award seats can be found through other Qantas partners.

While it's not uncommon for some airlines to hold award seats back from its partners, favoring its own members, this Qantas issue seems to be unique to Alaska. At time of publication, there seems to be no availability open to Alaska members throughout the entire calendar."

https://www.businessinsider.com/alas...it-card-review
DrAlex likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by qgpv
It would not hurt if a bunch of us wrote to both Business Insider and The Point Guy about this... here are the addresses:

[email protected] [email protected]
Hey, I'm actually one of the Business Insider reporters (and occasional editor) who worked on that story. We added to the story and issued a correction (if you can't see it yet, it may still be pushing to our international editions). Gonna keep an eye on the AS/QF situation. Feel free to e-mail me with tips if you notice things like this in the future: [email protected]. (FWIW this is my personal FT account)
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:35 pm

Just a datapoint, fwiw, today I booked 2 first class alaska award tickets on Qantas Flight 8 DFW-SYD, departing in 16 days, March 24. Ticketed and seats selected. 70k plus $40.40 per ticket!
Sinter likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:53 pm

And as of 2:53pm EST there is still one more F ticket on that flight available.
Sinter likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: NZ
There are a small number of F seats throughout the calendar year, with reasonable availability in August the last time I looked. However J seems to be impossible to find.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA, AS
F availability last I checked matches well with other partners, but US-SYD/MEL J availability via AS is non-existent any day of the year. I cannot believe Qantas would release the same F to AS but hold back all J so I conclude that either AS is blocking all J or they have had an IT bug for more than a year either by design or incompetence, not sure which.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
I concur with others that I haven't been able to find QF J awards despite extensive searching. However MEL/BNE-LAX-JFK in PE with a stopover is still a good deal as long as the flights are day time flights.

I very much doubt AS is blocking QF J awards in their system. Why would they want to do that? It puts people buying off their miles in their sales. They want people to hand over their money for them to use. It's more likely that QF aren't releasing J awards to AS IMO. I won't be buying any more AS miles speculatively, far too time consuming and hard to find award availability in AS.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:37 pm

Why would QF release the same F awards to AS as other partners but not J awards? It does not make sense to me. I believe it much more likely the block is on the AS side, but whether it is intentional, ignorance, or incompetence, I can't say.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:46 pm

Finally found a business class seat! Dec 12th Vancouver-Sydney
minz56 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:14 pm

Was able to book a multiple stopover flight in J for all segments. JFK-LAX-MEL-CHC with a multiple day stopover in MEL.

Still seems there are a number J seats available.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by skalirai
Was able to book a multiple stopover flight in J for all segments. JFK-LAX-MEL-CHC with a multiple day stopover in MEL.

Still seems there are a number J seats available.
Good job. I feel like they hold back space on the JFK-LAX. Under 24 hours is considered a connection and not a stopover on international itins. So you have just one stopover and that is in MEL.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:55 pm

FYI-

I just pulled up PDX > SYD In J for Dec 14th. 1 seat via SFO and one seat via LAX. And yes it was truly in J. Mixed itin from PDX in coach to SFO/LAX but the Transpacific leg was in J. Flight 18 and flight 74. Go get em I was just playing around with search as I will be flying PDX > SYD in early 2020 and was frustrated as everyone else that no J were coming up the whole year. Well, now there are at least two seats available. Dec 15th has J availability too. As of today most dates in early Dec have at least one seat in J from either SFO or LAX to SYD. A bunch of J availability from west coast US to SYD or MEL across many November Dates as well.

Last edited by jonnyz1245; Mar 16, 2019 at 3:39 pm Reason: added more dates
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:15 pm

The power of the press prevails. J awards are back! Now if they would fix the blocking of the last couple of months of the schedule...
tobikosan, Sinter and skalirai like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.