Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
~Moderator note:~

We're lucky to have missydarlin as a long-standing member of our community. For those who don't know, Missy works for Alaska and has been gracious enough to serve as an unofficial liaison between us and her employer. (She's also an all-around sweetheart.) She's kindly offered to help clear up any confusion and answer any questions that we have in regards to the December 19th announcements from Alaska and associated changes to Mileage Plan.

In order to help her manage finding and answering your questions and keeping things readable around here, let's refrain from engaging in discussion in this thread. Please post only your questions and any directly-related follow up for Missy. If you have other commentary or responses to things posted here, let's keep those for other threads. (
This one's a good one to post your comments in.)

We will be deleting any off topic discussion as we see it, so please only post questions to this thread.

Thanks,
jackal and ryandc99
Co-Moderators, Alaska Airlines forum

~End Moderator Note~
Print Wikipost

Consolidated questions for Missy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:05 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by tsillanman
Recent QX flight seemed to have more than 2 service animals on board in the cabin. Led to a discussion with my seat mate regarding this. Specifically what to do if you as an "unsuspecting" passenger find yourself with an allergic reaction as a result of proximity of the service animal . So... A theoretical issue: Passenger A boards a flight and Passenger B brings aboard a service animal. Before door close, Passenger A informs the crew that he/she is severely allergic to Passenger B's animal. Flight is completely full.
What guidelines does AS have in place? Is the worst case scenario, a forced removal of passenger A, or B? Or do they close door and depart with the potential of an in-flight medical emergency?
I know this is all theoretical, but does AS have guidelines?
A guest with a service animal is not going to be asked to leave because of passenger B's allergy.

We cannot guarantee an allergen-free flight. Its likely that passenger B would be reaccomodated.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ces-other.aspx
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missydarlin
A guest with a service animal is not going to be asked to leave because of passenger B's allergy.

We cannot guarantee an allergen-free flight. Its likely that passenger B would be reaccomodated.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...ces-other.aspx
I can understand that for actual service animals but what about the slew of emotional support animals, which I guaranteed well over 50% are just people avoiding the pet fee.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baze
I can understand that for actual service animals but what about the slew of emotional support animals, which I guaranteed well over 50% are just people avoiding the pet fee.
Whether service, emotional support, "fake" emotional support, or a normal pet who has paid the $100ish fee to be under the seat, AS still accepts pets, and can't guarantee an allergen-free flight.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA,AS,DL,MHC,IHG,Parrot Head
The policy makes sense as some pet hating jerk might decide to display his jerk traits... But... Some poor allergic little kid and his family, en route to Disneyland get booted, so some fee -dodging narcissist can save a few bucks? I'm sure glad I don't have any allergies !
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Аэрофлот UA LH AF AS SPG HH PC
Flying VX instead of Alaska on MP Emirates award tkt

I booked an Emirates/AS J award ticket bkk-dxb-jfk//sea-hnl on Sep2016 and now would like to change my jfk-sea-hnl from AS to VX because there are J seats avail for a diff date.Routing will be jfk-lax/sfo-hnl. Since AS and VX have merged, am I allowed to switch carrier or not ? or am I forced to stay on AS ?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lesenok
I booked an Emirates/AS J award ticket bkk-dxb-jfk//sea-hnl on Sep2016 and now would like to change my jfk-sea-hnl from AS to VX because there are J seats avail for a diff date.Routing will be jfk-lax/sfo-hnl. Since AS and VX have merged, am I allowed to switch carrier or not ? or am I forced to stay on AS ?
They have not yet fully merged. They are still different carriers, and as you can't mix partner carriers on a single award ticket, you can't do EK+VX.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Missy: from my yesterday's experience, it looks like the priority of upgrade issue is still not resolved out of LAX.

I flew LAX-SEA yesterday and so far, I have always been upgraded and most of the time five days in advance. Yesterday was the first time (not just on AS but AA as well) that I was upgraded after the flight was fully boarded and just a few minutes before take off when a ground crew came in and gave me the upgraded ticket. Three people got upgraded to FC a few minutes before takeoff.

It sounded like the woman sitting next to me had paid for her upgrade before boarding started as the FA did not even know her name. He apologized to her that he did not have her name on the list, which makes me think that she probably paid for the upgrade, but not sure.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tsillanman
The policy makes sense as some pet hating jerk might decide to display his jerk traits... But... Some poor allergic little kid and his family, en route to Disneyland get booted, so some fee -dodging narcissist can save a few bucks? I'm sure glad I don't have any allergies !
Paying the pet-in-cabin fee doesn't remove the dogs allergens, so I don't know what fee-dodging has to do with any of this?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lesenok
You can only use AS to connect on a partner award.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:08 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
On the new 100% bonus mileage promo on select partner international flights, can the nonstop international flight be part of a longer itinerary and still post promotional credit for the nonstop, or must the booking be solely the nonstop and nothing else?

Double miles offer is valid only on qualifying paid nonstop flights from June 1, 2017, through September 30, 2017.
For instance, if I book SFO-SYD-BNE on QF, will I receive the 100% bonus miles on SFO-SYD?

If I book SFO-LHR-EDI on BA, will I receive the 100% bonus miles on SFO-LHR?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
On the new 100% bonus mileage promo on select partner international flights, can the nonstop international flight be part of a longer itinerary and still post promotional credit for the nonstop, or must the booking be solely the nonstop and nothing else?

For instance, if I book SFO-SYD-BNE on QF, will I receive the 100% bonus miles on SFO-SYD?

If I book SFO-LHR-EDI on BA, will I receive the 100% bonus miles on SFO-LHR?
Yes, it can be part of a larger itin, but you'll only earn double miles on the applicable flight
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Yes, it can be part of a larger itin, but you'll only earn double miles on the applicable flight
Just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K
Missy On all flights I can see between SEA and KOA in April and May of 2018 the aircraft type is shown as a 737-800, but the seating chart shows a configuration I don't believe currently exists in Alaska's fleet. The seating chart shows 12F as on the newly reconfigured 800's, but no premium seating at all. Can you explain what is happening? Thank you, Don
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by perktd
Missy On all flights I can see between SEA and KOA in April and May of 2018 the aircraft type is shown as a 737-800, but the seating chart shows a configuration I don't believe currently exists in Alaska's fleet. The seating chart shows 12F as on the newly reconfigured 800's, but no premium seating at all. Can you explain what is happening? Thank you, Don
IIRC Premium Class availability doesn't show up until much closer (I want to say 3-4 months out) to departure
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Hi missy,

The elite benefits page on Alaskaair.com says, for MVPs, "Two free checked bags for you and a companion". It's really "Two free checked bags for you and any passengers on the same reservation", right, as described on the optional fess page? This same issue is present in the MVP Gold and 75k tab, as well as in the reference to the AA complimentary bag benefit. Also, the partner tab doesn't mention complimentary checked bags for companions on AA at all. Lastly, AA.com says 75Ks get three checked bags, whereas AS only mentions two. (I trust AA for this, since it's their own flights!)

Any possibility of cleaning up Alaska's web site?

(This thread made me aware of these issues.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.