Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
~Moderator note:~

We're lucky to have missydarlin as a long-standing member of our community. For those who don't know, Missy works for Alaska and has been gracious enough to serve as an unofficial liaison between us and her employer. (She's also an all-around sweetheart.) She's kindly offered to help clear up any confusion and answer any questions that we have in regards to the December 19th announcements from Alaska and associated changes to Mileage Plan.

In order to help her manage finding and answering your questions and keeping things readable around here, let's refrain from engaging in discussion in this thread. Please post only your questions and any directly-related follow up for Missy. If you have other commentary or responses to things posted here, let's keep those for other threads. (
This one's a good one to post your comments in.)

We will be deleting any off topic discussion as we see it, so please only post questions to this thread.

Thanks,
jackal and ryandc99
Co-Moderators, Alaska Airlines forum

~End Moderator Note~
Print Wikipost

Consolidated questions for Missy

Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Booked a transcon flight for end of May on VX and am right behind in the last three rows -- this is going to be one painful ride both ways. I read about comp upgrades to MCS starting this summer. In the meantime, do I have much of a choice to get better seats? Can and do VX gate agents do comp upgrades to MCS for AS 75K members?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:47 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by jediwho
Booked a transcon flight for end of May on VX and am right behind in the last three rows -- this is going to be one painful ride both ways. I read about comp upgrades to MCS starting this summer. In the meantime, do I have much of a choice to get better seats? Can and do VX gate agents do comp upgrades to MCS for AS 75K members?
At this time, your best option is to purchase MCS.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:35 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Just your friendly reminder. I will continue to delete any discussions that are not direct questions for missy. Please feel free to continue your discussion in the many other merger related threads.

Ryandc99, Moderator, Alaska Airlines
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Hi Missy,

Can you say whether AS will be able to cancel award tickets on DL metal and refund the miles (taking the redeposit fee for non-Golds) after May 1, or do awards involving DL effectively become non-cancellable? I know DL handles any changes after that date, but they presumably can't cancel an AS award. Several posters have been wondering in that thread.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill
Hi Missy,

Can you say whether AS will be able to cancel award tickets on DL metal and refund the miles (taking the redeposit fee for non-Golds) after May 1, or do awards involving DL effectively become non-cancellable? I know DL handles any changes after that date, but they presumably can't cancel an AS award. Several posters have been wondering in that thread.
Yes, you can still cancel and redeposit like any other award.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
Can I redeem AS miles for JL (or other partner airline) upgrades while crediting miles earned from the base flight to JL (or any other non-AS plan)? (I'm trying to get Oneworld status to complement MVP Gold, but would rather not fly in coach...)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rdlmitedu
Can I redeem AS miles for JL (or other partner airline) upgrades while crediting miles earned from the base flight to JL (or any other non-AS plan)? (I'm trying to get Oneworld status to complement MVP Gold, but would rather not fly in coach...)
You can only use AS miles to upgrade AS flights.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi Missydarlin,

I received the email today about upcoming benefits for AS elites on VX. I have a question.

I see starting Summer 2017 we will have access to preferred seating. I have booked flights on VX (booked on the AS site) SFO-BOS-SFO for October and I paid the fee for better seats, exit rows, for myself and my wife. I am a 75K and she is my designated MVP. If the benefit is in place when the flights happen do the fees for the seats that will be free then get reimbursed? Was $40 each way per person so $160.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baze
Hi Missydarlin,

I received the email today about upcoming benefits for AS elites on VX. I have a question.

I see starting Summer 2017 we will have access to preferred seating. I have booked flights on VX (booked on the AS site) SFO-BOS-SFO for October and I paid the fee for better seats, exit rows, for myself and my wife. I am a 75K and she is my designated MVP. If the benefit is in place when the flights happen do the fees for the seats that will be free then get reimbursed? Was $40 each way per person so $160.
Fees already paid will not be reimbursed.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missydarlin
Fees already paid will not be reimbursed.
Thanks, I think. Guess I have to look at it this way, I have guaranteed the better seats now instead of gambling that they will be available when the benefit goes into place. And always a chance it might not be in place when the flights happen.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baze
Thanks, I think. Guess I have to look at it this way, I have guaranteed the better seats now instead of gambling that they will be available when the benefit goes into place. And always a chance it might not be in place when the flights happen.
^

If you think about it, it's no different than how things work today. If someone paid for a PC or exit row seat, and then earned status before the flight, they don't get a refund. And conversely, if you lose status before you take a flight with an already upgraded seat, you aren't charged retroactively.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
How will VX status points be converted to AS status for 2018 qualification? What about the status points possible from VX credit card?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hiima
How will VX status points be converted to AS status for 2018 qualification? What about the status points possible from VX credit card?
If you are using your Elevate number on Virgin America flights, we will add those miles or segments toward your 2018 Mileage Plan qualification at year-end 2017.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

There has been no mention of converting VX credit card status points. Only taking the miles/segments flown
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Can we get a clarification about the ongoing issues with the AL at PDX...Priority Pass is saying that effective May 1st they will accept all PP members (space permitting) but just no guests whereas multiple reports from the AS Twitter team are reporting no PP "Select" members will be admitted...which is it? Thanks
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by missydarlin
If you are using your Elevate number on Virgin America flights, we will add those miles or segments toward your 2018 Mileage Plan qualification at year-end 2017.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nefit-schedule

There has been no mention of converting VX credit card status points. Only taking the miles/segments flown
Will the miles and segments be transferred over as if they were originally earned on MP? Like if I put VX number on a $150 flight LAX-DAL, I'll get miles equal to LAX-DAL, not a 1.3 or so conversion of status points?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.