Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
~Moderator note:~

We're lucky to have missydarlin as a long-standing member of our community. For those who don't know, Missy works for Alaska and has been gracious enough to serve as an unofficial liaison between us and her employer. (She's also an all-around sweetheart.) She's kindly offered to help clear up any confusion and answer any questions that we have in regards to the December 19th announcements from Alaska and associated changes to Mileage Plan.

In order to help her manage finding and answering your questions and keeping things readable around here, let's refrain from engaging in discussion in this thread. Please post only your questions and any directly-related follow up for Missy. If you have other commentary or responses to things posted here, let's keep those for other threads. (
This one's a good one to post your comments in.)

We will be deleting any off topic discussion as we see it, so please only post questions to this thread.

Thanks,
jackal and ryandc99
Co-Moderators, Alaska Airlines forum

~End Moderator Note~
Print Wikipost

Consolidated questions for Missy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by missydarlin
I don't fly AA enough to fully understand how they use their booking codes, but looking at the partner earning chart, I would guess that "F" = First Class on a 3 cabin plane - mostly used for international and therefore more expensive?

Just a quick look at SEA-ORD, our F (First Class refundable) is $737 and gets 75% bonus. Their equivalent First Class refundable books into D at $706 for 50% bonus.
AA has recently shifted to Business Class codes (i.e., J/D/I) for 2 cabin F services.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
I don't fly AA enough to fully understand how they use their booking codes, but looking at the partner earning chart, I would guess that "F" = First Class on a 3 cabin plane - mostly used for international and therefore more expensive?

Just a quick look at SEA-ORD, our F (First Class refundable) is $737 and gets 75% bonus. Their equivalent First Class refundable books into D at $706 for 50% bonus.
J is now used both for AA's two-class "domestic first class" (their equivalent of AS's F) and true business class (premium transcons with flat beds as well as long haul international J). I think but am not sure that AA tends to price their full fare domestic first class much higher than AS does, but they probably don't sell much of that (except maybe through corporate contracts). Their discounted first class is in the other buckets.

(Until a few months ago, F, A, and P were used for domestic two-class first class as well as transcon/international three-class first class. I think AA still had a 100% bonus for F then, at least since they introduced revenue-based earning and the AS earning table was slashed in economy.)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Missy...If I'm flying VX, can I access the Alaska Lounge using my Admirals Club membership, as an AS pax would be able to do?

Specifically, I'm asking about LAX. Thank you.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by dayone
Missy...If I'm flying VX, can I access the Alaska Lounge using my Admirals Club membership, as an AS pax would be able to do?

Specifically, I'm asking about LAX. Thank you.
I asked missy a while back and the answer was no, also no for Admirals Club access with Alaska Lounge membership & VX flights.

ETA: post #211 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=211
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:51 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by rustykettel
I asked missy a while back and the answer was no, also no for Admirals Club access with Alaska Lounge membership & VX flights.

ETA: post #211 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=211
With the upcoming VX move to T6, I wonder if there has been any movement. Accepting a VX pax into the AL with an AC membership would only require a policy change.

AC access with an AL membership on a VX ticket is more problematic.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Companion pass now works on VX. What about using Wallet balance for purchase of VX tickets and cancellation? Do 75K get full credit for cancellation?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:48 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by jediwho
Companion pass now works on VX. What about using Wallet balance for purchase of VX tickets and cancellation? Do 75K get full credit for cancellation?
My Wallet is not available to VX tickets at this time.

I'm not sure what you mean by "full credit for cancellation"? Are you asking if your elite fee waiver applies? If so, yes. If you purchase a VX ticket on as.com, then cancel it, the funds will be deposited to my wallet without a change fee. However, at this time, you would not be able to use those funds to purchase another VX flight.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
My Wallet is not available to VX tickets at this time.

I'm not sure what you mean by "full credit for cancellation"? Are you asking if your elite fee waiver applies? If so, yes. If you purchase a VX ticket on as.com, then cancel it, the funds will be deposited to my wallet without a change fee. However, at this time, you would not be able to use those funds to purchase another VX flight.
Great, thanks! Yes, I was asking about elite fee waiver.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
My Wallet is not available to VX tickets at this time. ...
presumably this is on the "Coming Soon to a Computer Screen Near You" list ... speaking of which (and feel free to give me a dope slap if it's already there and I've just missed it), is there a timeline for implementing My Wallet access in the (iOS) app?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA,AS,DL,MHC,IHG,Parrot Head
If there's anything you'd like me to specifically address, post it here.
With all the UA hoopla, it would be interesting to learn how AS actually dispatches aircraft and crews. Are there times or circumstances where AS dispatchers could inadvertently start a chain of events that results in a seated passenger being asked to leave? Many airlines are starting to experience flight crew shortages as senior pilots retire. This, along with expanding route structure puts pressure on airline dispatchers. Cancelled flights lead to re booking problems, thus creating "overbooked" situations on subsequent flights. This puts pressure on dispatchers to find a reason(other than crew shortage or mechanical) that doesn't require the airline to provide compensation.
Not condoning the UA thing, but like with many aviation accidents, the problems usually occur as a result of a string of minor issues.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by jediwho
I've been able to book an AS metal flight and do a 24 hour change to VX metal flight using wallet funds. I guess it's a sort of loophole? Please don't cancel my flights, AS.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by hiima
I've been able to book an AS metal flight and do a 24 hour change to VX metal flight using wallet funds. I guess it's a sort of loophole?
^

DAL-SEA on VX, here I come...
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:08 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Does AS elites get free baggage on VX flights yet?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hiima
Does AS elites get free baggage on VX flights yet?
Yes. At least I did a couple weeks ago as a 75K. Could check 2 bags free. It is on the posted benefits now too.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-benefits.aspx
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:08 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
In the wake of the UA events, I'm pretty sure every airline, including AS, is reviewing the processes that could possibly lead to needing an already seated passenger to leave the flight. Dispatch is only one piece of a very large puzzle.

Originally Posted by tsillanman
With all the UA hoopla, it would be interesting to learn how AS actually dispatches aircraft and crews. Are there times or circumstances where AS dispatchers could inadvertently start a chain of events that results in a seated passenger being asked to leave? Many airlines are starting to experience flight crew shortages as senior pilots retire. This, along with expanding route structure puts pressure on airline dispatchers. Cancelled flights lead to re booking problems, thus creating "overbooked" situations on subsequent flights. This puts pressure on dispatchers to find a reason(other than crew shortage or mechanical) that doesn't require the airline to provide compensation.
Not condoning the UA thing, but like with many aviation accidents, the problems usually occur as a result of a string of minor issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.