Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
~Moderator note:~

We're lucky to have missydarlin as a long-standing member of our community. For those who don't know, Missy works for Alaska and has been gracious enough to serve as an unofficial liaison between us and her employer. (She's also an all-around sweetheart.) She's kindly offered to help clear up any confusion and answer any questions that we have in regards to the December 19th announcements from Alaska and associated changes to Mileage Plan.

In order to help her manage finding and answering your questions and keeping things readable around here, let's refrain from engaging in discussion in this thread. Please post only your questions and any directly-related follow up for Missy. If you have other commentary or responses to things posted here, let's keep those for other threads. (
This one's a good one to post your comments in.)

We will be deleting any off topic discussion as we see it, so please only post questions to this thread.

Thanks,
jackal and ryandc99
Co-Moderators, Alaska Airlines forum

~End Moderator Note~
Print Wikipost

Consolidated questions for Missy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:29 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by LaneW
Yeah, well... I fly out of Spokane (that's a city in Washington) and I almost always have to connect in SEA to my destination. So yes, an influx of many new elites from VX will, certainly, compromise my upgrade success. What a an unenlightened statement you make.
How often do you think the new SFO- and LAX-based elites are going to be connecting in SEA, given that instead of taking a two-hour jaunt northward each way they can just take the nonstop transcons they've already been flying--especially since AS is already adding SFO routes after the acquisition? If you're flying SEA-SFO and SEA-LAX, yeah, you'll end up with VX elites on your flights, but you'll see plenty of AS elites on the VX flights on those routes too--it should come to a wash after reciprocal elite benefits get figured out.

Last edited by jinglish; Jan 9, 2017 at 12:37 am
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:29 am
Suspended

YES there IS - the question is, if it wasn't obvious, has AS scrapped it's supposed loyalty to its long term, loyal elites to cater to VX imports?
If Missy says "no," is that good enough?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Yeah, well... I fly out of Spokane (that's a city in Washington) and I almost always have to connect in SEA to my destination. So yes, an influx of many new elites from VX will, certainly, compromise my upgrade success. What a an unenlightened statement you make.
Originally Posted by jinglish
How often do you think the new SFO- and LAX-based elites are going to be connecting in SEA, given that instead of taking a two-hour jaunt northward each way they can just take the nonstop transcons they've already been flying--especially since AS is already adding SFO routes after the acquisition? If you're flying SEA-SFO and SEA-LAX, yeah, you'll end up with VX elites on your flights, but you'll see plenty of AS elites on the VX flights on those routes too--it should come to a wash after reciprocal elite benefits get figured out.
This.

Can't imagine connecting in SEA en route anywhere if that makes you feel better, LaneW. Fully agree that VX elites got the better end of the stick so far, but honestly, I don't anticipate using the GGU's, unless AS adds a few interesting SFO routes this year (maybe they're already planning on it?).

One part where AS flyers definitely win is the MM program. Apparently nothing at all transfers from prior VX flying?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
It sounds like everyone who got the 10K had an Elevate account and linked their MP and Elevate accounts. I haven't heard of one person getting the 10K if they only had an AS account and no Elevate account....no surprise there.
I had an Elevate and MP account, they were linked, didn't get the 10k. How come Missy?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
YES there IS - the question is, if it wasn't obvious, has AS scrapped it's supposed loyalty to its long term, loyal elites to cater to VX imports? Is that understandable to you?
Sure is.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question

Knock yourself out getting an answer to that.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: AS 75K
I'm a little disappointed that people who have status with both VX and AS aren't receiving any kind of recognition in the merger. (Or perhaps they are — see threads about unexplained GGUs and BR passes — but in a highly inconsistent manner.)

I requalified for VX Silver and AS Gold last year, so the VX -> AS status match nets me nothing. In fact, with VX extending elite status earned in 2015 through the end of 2017, requalifying for VX Silver was a totally useless endeavor. Furthermore, all of the rollover EQPs — part of the benefits for the VX Premium Visa — on VX are meaningless, too.

I'm thrilled that the merger closed, and I appreciate that the integration of the programs is happening extremely quickly. (When compared to the United/Continental merger, this seems nearly instant.) I suppose I wish that 1) the new AS+VX reached out with a gesture of appreciation to people who were loyal to both airlines, and 2) the random peppering of GGUs and BR passes was a bit more transparent and equitable.

Last edited by jamesreggio; Jan 9, 2017 at 10:20 am Reason: 'explained' -> 'unexplained'
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
I'm really trying to be thoughtful here, but my frustration just grew even more this morning hearing about the 10k bonus points many are receiving. With a large variety of data points I've read in various place, it appears to be random; no rhyme or reason.

When they announced roll-over miles as a pilot, and I got zippo - I looked the other way.

When many started reporting the additional GGU's in their accounts, and no elite Thank You gift was offered (meaning I got zippo there, as well) - I looked the other way, but felt bummed.

Now with the bonus miles being posted, it's much harder to look the other way. And now I'm frustrated.

What is my loyalty worth to AS? It's starting to feel like we're the loyal friends at the bar, but a bunch of new young fresh meat just entered and we've been dumped on for AS to go flirt with the newbies. Not a great feeling, and if that's it - then it would seem our loyalty isn't worth much.

So, the question for Missy is this:
Can you provide to us what the criteria was for folks to receive the 10k bonus points?

AS is starting to make it's loyal fliers feel less than appreciated.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:07 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Finkface
How does your husband feel about that?
He bought it for me
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Those segments will only count toward MVP qualification if your AS # is in the reservation.
Originally Posted by halamadrid
Hi Missy,

I'm 75K and also VX Gold (not through matching but independently). I booked a number of trips (about 15 or so) through VX before the merger using my Elevate Gold member #. Will those segments be counted towards MVP Qualification automatically or do I need to somehow get my 75K number into those reservations for them to count. I haven't attempted to change my Elevate number in those reservations as I don't want to miss out on my Elevate Gold benefits when traveling. Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wwongo
Hi Missy,

I don't think I saw an answer to my question on clarifying if miles and money fares are eligible for upgrade.
Thanks
Yes, they are eligible, but I don't think the code was updated in the shopping path to provide checkboxes. Still researching how that plays out.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:25 am
Original Poster

I don't have an answer as to why 10K points showed up without notice for some members.
I will look into it.

But again, this thread is for program questions, and not speculation, or airing of general disgruntlement. I empathize with you, but I can't help you other than to offer the feedback link.

I try to be an organized person, but questions are getting lost under all the commentary.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Just want you to know that regardless of any frustration, I still appreciate you and your work/mission here Missy. Always have, always will, even if the answer isn't one I'm hoping for. You do great things.

Thank you!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
Just want you to know that regardless of any frustration, I still appreciate you and your work/mission here Missy.
Strong +1.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
Just want you to know that regardless of any frustration, I still appreciate you and your work/mission here Missy. Always have, always will, even if the answer isn't one I'm hoping for. You do great things.

Thank you!
+1....I've sent in feedback about this to both the Mileage Plan feedback form as well as Twitter....I encourage others to do the same...AS is a quality airline with amazing employees....they are sooooo much better than this....I haven't seen this level of frustration since my UA flying days
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by missydarlin
I don't have an answer as to why 10K points showed up without notice for some members.
I will look into it.

But again, this thread is for program questions, and not speculation, or airing of general disgruntlement. I empathize with you, but I can't help you other than to offer the feedback link.

I try to be an organized person, but questions are getting lost under all the commentary.
Just ignore any comments/venting posts. You don't need to respond to those.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.