Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, I didn't realize that it was the Air France lounge. I can get into that anyway (priority pass).

The JL lounge is probably more comfortable and definitely quieter (esp in the F room) but the AF lounge has better food and booze.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
On AS website I am finding one F and nothing else for the non stop LAX-TOKYO this sunday. I need two tickets. Book the 1st and hope? I have miles and status. or other ideas. Try to book from JAL website?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tobikosan
On AS website I am finding one F and nothing else for the non stop LAX-TOKYO this sunday. I need two tickets. Book the 1st and hope? I have miles and status. or other ideas. Try to book from JAL website?
JL61? That flight is F1 according to EF. I thought that JL did not release the last F seat as award space.

Anyway, unless someone cancels, there definitely won't be a 2nd.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Question Japan Domestic Stopover

I am trying to build a Sapporo - Tokyo (2 night stopover) - Singapore itinerary in J class on JAL using the Alaskan multi-city option but the system keep returning messages that it is unable to find flights.

However, when i try looking for 1) Sapporo - Tokyo and 2) Tokyo - Singapore separately on the dates that I want, seats in J are readily available on both flights.

Does the free stopover not apply to 2 cities in the same country (Sapporo + Tokyo) or am I doing something wrong?

Will appreciate any advice here. Thank you!
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought that stopovers were only allowed on itineraries that start or end in North America
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I thought that stopovers were only allowed on itineraries that start or end in North America
Stopovers are permitted in TYO if arriving into the gateway (HND/NRT) from outside of Japan and not limited to NA, however, it appears you cannot have a stopover in TYO if arriving from within Japan. SIN-TYO//TYO-CTS is a valid routing as is DEL-TYO//TYO-CTS both 25K in J but CTS-TYO//TYO-SIN is not.

James in Los Angeles.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Related question.. do you have to arrive at and leave from the same gateway? I guess HND and NRT are co-terminals, but what about different cities? Eg can you fly LAX-KIX // NRT-BKK as a single award?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by FT-hss
Brilliant.. thanks! I tried this and then also as I was seeing the return flight I plugged in straight (non-multi) DEL-LAX and they are available to on multiple days with the J+F combo. Now my question is can I break them up and have a > 24 (longer) stop in Tokyo? When I put in individually in multi-city Feb 1 DEL-NRT and Feb 3 NRT-LAX nothing shows up. Has anyone tried feeding the AS agent a married segment flight A-B and couple days later another married segment flight B-C to make up A-B-C and still keep the J+F since they are available as married flights on day 1 and day 3 since a stopover is allowed? If not I will just take the through J+F flight and shut up and count my blessings
You can have a stopover but if you are only booking one-way and one of the segments is in the AS block window it will not show up. If the award space is available (check QF or BA) then you can get a stopover but if one of the flights is in the AS block window you will need to use the round-trip hack to get them to show. Using multi-city, something like, outbound LAX-TYO 1/22, return Feb 1 DEL-NRT and Feb 3 NRT-LAX. After booking call to drop LAX-TYO.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Related question.. do you have to arrive at and leave from the same gateway? I guess HND and NRT are co-terminals, but what about different cities? Eg can you fly LAX-KIX // NRT-BKK as a single award?
That ain’t a stopover. That’s a land segment that is unflown. Also, that’s not allowed, any more than FAI-ANC//JNU-SEA is.
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Thanks. Your SFO-PHX is AS? I was not able to see any saver options when I was looking. Is there just SFO-PHX (AS) or there is also LAX-PHX (AS)? I will look too. I think I will end up paying a change fee inbound/outbound. Either that or I will need to buy the feeder flights PHX-LAX and inbound (SFO/PHX or LAX/PHX) when I book the main part DEL-NRT... NRT-HND/SFO/LAX.
Just looking back at this I can also suggest DEL-TYO-ORD-SEA/PDX-PHX. I booked two of these in J/F via PDX online in December for mid January flights. I ended up cancelling them but had no issues booking them. I can't chime in on Lounge Access in Chicago though if that is important to you.

James in Puerto Vallarta.
FT-hss likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Mar 17, 2019 at 1:53 am
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
You can have a stopover but if you are only booking one-way and one of the segments is in the AS block window it will not show up. If the award space is available (check QF or BA) then you can get a stopover but if one of the flights is in the AS block window you will need to use the round-trip hack to get them to show. Using multi-city, something like, outbound LAX-TYO 1/22, return Feb 1 DEL-NRT and Feb 3 NRT-LAX. After booking call to drop LAX-TYO.
Oops missed the reply. Will try tomorrow. Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:57 am

You can plug this into the multi-city search (two outbound segments) and book it online. Will AS agents allow it? Not sure. But, you can ticket it online so who cares?
CDKing and VegasGambler like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Wow... how do you find these things This is going to work great! About to book. Do you know how to select seats and what would be best for single traveler in JL/F TYO-LAX? I have to do LAX since I need to get to PHX and don't want to try the longer (JHK//ORD) flights even though I might get more time in F
Also any special seat to book in J DEL/NRT?

Oops missed the reply. Will try tomorrow. Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Wow... how do you find these things This is going to work great! About to book. Do you know how to select seats and what would be best for single traveler in JL/F TYO-LAX? I have to do LAX since I need to get to PHX and don't want to try the longer (JHK//ORD) flights even though I might get more time in F
Also any special seat to book in J DEL/NRT?
Once it's ticketed, take your JAL confirmation code and select your seat on JAL's website. Some seats will be blocked until closer to departure.

The single window seats on either side have the obvious advantage of the windows, but other than that the center seats are just as good. My personal preference is 1A by a slight hair, but 2A is nice for sleeping if 2D is vacant and can be made up for your bed.
FT-hss likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:55 pm

You will get two confirmation codes when you book a JL flight. The first is the AS confirmation code and the second is the JAL confirmation code. You need the JAL confirmation code to book seats. You can find the JAL confirmation code both in your confirmation email and your AS reservation online. Go the the JAL website to manage your booking with the JAL confirmation code and you can select seats from there. As mentioned by rustykettel some seats will be blocked until closer to departure. On the 777-300ER to SFO in F they block 1A and 1K until airport check-in. I prefer a window seat in the back of the F cabin, 2A or 2K. You might want to pre-order your meal.
FT-hss likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.