Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Yes indeed. JL has a lot of married segment availability these days which restrict availability. You have to search for the end-to-end route you want, not just individual segments. You *should* be able to combine individual segments into a larger trip but finding availability on a multi-segment trip does not guarantee availability is available separately for the individual legs since the airline can restrict the sale to only married segments together.
ah thanks, that makes so much sense now, there are just too many things to note when redeeming AS, sigh.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
To save me going through 49 pages can some kindly advise if I am able to add on a AA domestic award onto a NRT-ORD redemption on JAL?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
To save me going through 49 pages can some kindly advise if I am able to add on a AA domestic award onto a NRT-ORD redemption on JAL?
No.
onlysuites likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Originally Posted by tth6133
No.
You can add a domestic Alaska Air (AS) award from ORD but not an AA metal redemption. You can mix AS with one other partner on an award. You cannot have two non AS partners (like JL and AA) on one award. You could redeem a second award for the AA flight.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium Elite
Smile Just booked SAN-BKK in JAL in Business Class

After searching for weeks, *finally* I was able to secure two round-trip business class seats on JAL between SAN and BKK using Mileage Plan miles. We'll be ringing in the new year in Bankok and spending a few weeks in southeast Asia. I'm looking forward to enjoying the new Sky Suite seats that will be installed on JAL's 787-8 aircraft later this spring.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm flying SFO-HND in a couple of days. Does anyone know what time the JL check in desk opens at SFO? Last time I flew JL1 I showed up kind of early and the desk was closed... I ended up having to wait a long time just so I could drop off my bag. I don't remember the times though (and I think the time of that flight has changed slightly since)
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm flying SFO-HND in a couple of days. Does anyone know what time the JL check in desk opens at SFO? Last time I flew JL1 I showed up kind of early and the desk was closed... I ended up having to wait a long time just so I could drop off my bag. I don't remember the times though (and I think the time of that flight has changed slightly since)
T-3hr
SAN FRANCISCO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT/Arrivals and departures (Airport guide)- JAL International Flights

In practice, they usually appear and start helping waiting pax about 10-15min prior to that.
VegasGambler likes this.

Last edited by rustykettel; Mar 7, 2019 at 1:47 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Yes indeed. JL has a lot of married segment availability these days which restrict availability. You have to search for the end-to-end route you want, not just individual segments. You *should* be able to combine individual segments into a larger trip but finding availability on a multi-segment trip does not guarantee availability is available separately for the individual legs since the airline can restrict the sale to only married segments together.
Even combining individual segments might not work anymore. See my recent experience over at the AA forums. Since it's on the JL side I imagine it'll be the same for AS.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rcarovano
After searching for weeks, *finally* I was able to secure two round-trip business class seats on JAL between SAN and BKK using Mileage Plan miles. We'll be ringing in the new year in Bankok and spending a few weeks in southeast Asia. I'm looking forward to enjoying the new Sky Suite seats that will be installed on JAL's 787-8 aircraft later this spring.
I'm in the middle of almost this same trip.

JAL 1, SFO-HND here (in F since its only 10k miles more) but continuing JAL 717, NRT-BKK in J in a couple of days.

The business class seats on the 773 looked roomy when I walked by them. The dimensions of the skysuites on the 788 are much smaller (according to seatguru) but I'm curious to see how they work out in practice.

EDIT I think SeatGuru is out of date as usual. According to the JAL website the Skysuites on the 788 are identical in bed size to the ones in the 773. At 188cm bed length (exactly my height) it might be a bit of a tight fit but the width is probably good enough to lie on my side and bend my knees a bit if I want to lie flat. It should be very comfortable in extreme-recline-but-not-quite-lie-flat mode as well (though my 10:45 am flight out of NRT probably means waking up at 6am at the very latest, so I will probably want to get at least a few hrs of sleep on that flight)

Overall, a great redemption for 75k miles. I'll report back with my opinion of the seats after my flight.
rcarovano and rustykettel like this.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Mar 13, 2019 at 12:27 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Help please! Trying to find a JL J/F from DEL-NRT-LAX but way out (330+) days for Feb 2020. All I can see Jan/Feb is BA options and no JL. Even if I switch calendar there is but one flight and even then DEL-NRT is in coach. I do see very sporadic J+F flights over the months until Jan 2020. So is this normal? Is there some trick/option I am missing? My final destination in PHX but I can buy the local flight onwards since I cannot mix Alaska. Anything that can get me in J+F to LAX (or SFO) would be good. If I search DEL-NRT separately I do see a little more J availability? Is this a married segment thing? Would I be able find a DEL-NRT J and then stitch it with NRT-LAX F? I could wait until the last moment only if that is normal and I would see more availability then. But If I look at what is available for even this month right now on that route it looks slim ... Help.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by FT-hss
Help please! Trying to find a JL J/F from DEL-NRT-LAX but way out (330+) days for Feb 2020. All I can see Jan/Feb is BA options and no JL. Even if I switch calendar there is but one flight and even then DEL-NRT is in coach. I do see very sporadic J+F flights over the months until Jan 2020. So is this normal? Is there some trick/option I am missing? My final destination in PHX but I can buy the local flight onwards since I cannot mix Alaska. Anything that can get me in J+F to LAX (or SFO) would be good. If I search DEL-NRT separately I do see a little more J availability? Is this a married segment thing? Would I be able find a DEL-NRT J and then stitch it with NRT-LAX F? I could wait until the last moment only if that is normal and I would see more availability then. But If I look at what is available for even this month right now on that route it looks slim ... Help.
The last day I can find is Jan 30 for DEL-NRT(J) and Jan 31st for NRT-LAX(F)

FT-hss likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA, AS
How bad do you want to go and how many miles do you have? Alaska does this BS blocking of flights near the end of schedule, especially premium cabins. Really the AS schedule mostly looks out about 325 days for premium cabin JL one-way. I can get AS to show me coach one-way through 2/5 (330 days) by searching one-way w/miles DEL-LAX 2/3/20 and then click on 2/5 from the results but you do not want coach. If you wait a few days the February dates will come into the range of being released from the AS blocking. Of course, some of the availability may be taken by other programs by then. There is a hack you can use to get what you want now. Considering AS does not admit they are blocking (even though they are) you can use the following hack. You need to search for a round trip. If you search for a round trip where the outbound is outside the AS blocking window then you can see availability for the return inside the AS blocking window. The play here is to book a reverse round-trip then cancel the outbound within the 24 hour free change window.

How does this work? Say you are looking for DEL-LAX one-way on 2/5, search a round-trip from LAX-DEL/DEL-LAX with the outbound a couple of weeks earlier to be outside the AS blocking window so maybe LAX-DEL on 1/22 and DEL-LAX return on 3/5. Book it, call AS and tell them you no longer need the LAX-DEL and to drop it from the reservation leaving you with DEL-LAX on 3/5 in J/F. Of course you must have extra miles to book a round-trip to get this strategy to work but you will get them back almost immediately.

But wait, it gets better! You do not have to book a complete round-trip. A multi-city trip with an outbound from LAX-TYO and the return DEL-LAX is enough. This way you can play with a few less miles for the initial booking. Book LAX-TYO in Y and DEL-LAX in J/F then within the 24 hour free change window call and drop the LAX-TYO segment.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
My final destination in PHX but I can buy the local flight onwards since I cannot mix Alaska.
Alaska awards include AS flights to/from the US gateway. You awards cannot mix partners so AS LAX/SFO to PHX on AS metal is possible with a JL award redemption. I am in the JL F lounge in Haneda now for my JL F award HND-SFO-PHX.

James in Tokyo
tobikosan likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Overall, a great redemption for 75k miles. I'll report back with my opinion of the seats after my flight.
I'm about to push back for NRT-BKK. It definitely no JAL F but our seems fine. It might be a bit of a tight fit for me to sleep but I probably won't need to on this flight, despite the 9am scotch in the Sakura lounge And certainly, plenty of room while sitting upright or reclined.

The extra 10k miles for F when available is certainly worth it IMO, but this is a fine product too.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Alaska awards include AS flights to/from the US gateway. You awards cannot mix partners so AS LAX/SFO to PHX on AS metal is possible with a JL award redemption. I am in the JL F lounge in Haneda now for my JL F award HND-SFO-PHX.

James in Tokyo
Unless OP is flying on dates where SFO-PHX is available seasonally (basically “baseball spring training”), OP is looking at something like LAX-PDX/SEA-SFO. That’s probably 6-8 hours of additional flying and connection times for a flight that’s 1 hour out of LAX. Flying might be fun for you but I’d probably buy the positioning flight like OP suggests instead enjoying gormay polenta and kale for most of a day after a longhaul flight. If OP buys an AA flight they even get acces to AA/OW F lounges per OW lounge policy (not true for AS flights).
jinglish likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.