Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nothing.sg
Hi guys, i'm considering to purchase miles from Alaska Air for the first time and Alaska Air is currently selling miles till 23rd Feb 2019 at 40% discount.

Any idea if i could purchase say 50,400 miles x 2 separate transactions during this sale = 100,800 miles in total by 23rd Feb?

I understand that the t&c does not allow one account/member to purchase more than 150,000 miles in a year.
You might want to look at these threads before you decide to buy, if you are a person outside the USA (perhaps Singapore?) looking at using AS strictly as a way to buy JL premium class flights for cheap, who never intends to fly the airline.

Unable to book tickets for family using miles

AS Cancels EK Award Tickets for My Friend [Possible Merge]
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

You might want to look at these threads before you decide to buy, if you are a person outside the USA (perhaps Singapore?) looking at using AS strictly as a way to buy JL premium class flights for cheap, who never intends to fly the airline.

Unable to book tickets for family using miles

AS Cancels EK Award Tickets for My Friend [Possible Merge]
Originally Posted by nothing.sg
Hi guys, i'm considering to purchase miles from Alaska Air for the first time and Alaska Air is currently selling miles till 23rd Feb 2019 at 40% discount.

Any idea if i could purchase say 50,400 miles x 2 separate transactions during this sale = 100,800 miles in total by 23rd Feb?

I understand that the t&c does not allow one account/member to purchase more than 150,000 miles in a year.
In the past you could definitely purchase in two transactions or more and I have not seen anything to show that it has changed so you should be able to do it.

Based on a couple of recent trouble reports of people outside the US trying to use miles purchased to a new account if I were outside the US with a new account I would first try to credit a partner flight to my account and then wait a month or so before purchasing miles. You definitely can purchase miles to a new account but if you are outside the US be aware there may or may not be restrictions placed on new accounts that purchase miles.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Award Nexus?
Good idea .. I'll try there. Thanks.

-David
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
I was so happy when I was able to book our flight to Japan and back in November with our AS miles, in business class going over and First coming back (via SFO). A week ago we discovered I had entered my husband’s first name as Wlliam, not the correct spelling. (I am curious how many caught that mistake on first reading). Totally my fault (poor eyesight for fine details). JL absolutely will not allow a name change on the tickets. The Partner Desk said they would try to work with JL to cancel and be-book, but that was not possible. So this morning I canceled the tickets and got our miles refunded.

Does JL return those award seats to inventory? And if so, any idea when? I can keep checking every hour if necessary, but not if it is futile. I have entered a search and alert request on Expert Flyer but do not know if that every works.

Thanks for your help and any suggestions. We cannot fly in Economy and cannot afford to purchase the business class seats. I am reluctant to wait too long for new JL award seats to show up, so after a few days I may just go and book ANA in Premium Economy, the direct flight from Seattle to NRT and back.

Last edited by enzian; Feb 18, 2019 at 11:40 am
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:33 am

I also have a question About the Expert Flyer search and alert form. It asks for class code, but lists lots of different ones for business class on JL (C, D, J, U, and X), and both A and Z for First.

I looked on our cancelled tickets and found class U for the business class award and Z for the Firste award. So I used those. Is that correct?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by enzian
I was so happy when I was able to book our flight to Japan and back in November with our AS miles, in business class going over and First coming back (via SFO). A week ago we discovered I had entered my husband’s first name as Wlliam, not the corrected spelling. (I am curious how many caught that mistake on first reading). Totally my fault (poor eyesight for fine details). JL absolutely will not allow a name change on the tickets. The Partner Desk said they would try to work with JL to cancel and be-book, but that was not possible. So this morning I canceled the tickets and got our miles refunded.

Does JL return those award seats to inventory? And if so, any idea when? I can keep checking every hour if necessary, but not if it is futile. I have entered a search and alert request on Expert Flyer but do not know if that every works.

Thanks for your help and any suggestions. We cannot fly in Economy and cannot afford to purchase the business class seats. I am reluctant to wait too long for new JL award seats to show up, so after a few days I may just go and book ANA in Premium Economy, the direct flight from Seattle to NRT and back.
If it didn’t show back up immediately, try waiting for 10am JST (5pm PST), as that is when JAL releases new space to partners. Good luck!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:56 am

I was so happy when I was able to book our flight to Japan and back in November with our AS miles, in business class going over and First coming back (via SFO). A week ago we discovered I had entered my husband’s first name as Wlliam, not the corrected spelling. (I am curious how many caught that mistake on first reading). Totally my fault (poor eyesight for fine details). JL absolutely will not allow a name change on the tickets. The Partner Desk said they would try to work with JL to cancel and be-book, but that was not possible. So this morning I canceled the tickets and got our miles refunded.

I would have cancelled only the one ticket with the incorrect name and hope to get the other back. Sometimes the seats go back right away and sometimes they do not. If they go back right away you would see them. Check on BA and QF to see if they show up there. AS sometimes caches inventory and if this happens it may be a few hours after seats return to inventory before they show back up on the AS site. If you do not see the F seats on BA or QF and there is still 8F then the F seats did not go back. If it is 6F then someone else grabbed them.

Perhaps CX could be an option? AS does not show it online so you have to call or check with another partner like QF or BA to check availability. I usually start checking with QF.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
I also have a question About the Expert Flyer search and alert form. It asks for class code, but lists lots of different ones for business class on JL (C, D, J, U, and X), and both A and Z for First.

I looked on our cancelled tickets and found class U for the business class award and Z for the Firste award. So I used those. Is that correct?
Availability in the booking class doesn’t necessarily mean the airline released the space to partners. In the case of JAL, EF can’t see the award availability (your alerts won’t tell you the right information). You’ll need to use something like AwardNexus or just keep checking manually yourself.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:02 pm

EF does not search for JL award inventory (U or Z). You can search for revenue inventory classes. If you set an alert for U or Z class on EF for JAL it will never fire. You can check this by finding a date with U or Z availability and have EF run an immediate check on an award alert. It does not work. You can use revenue alerts to detect changes that may or may not be helpful. AwardNexus may be able to help with an alert for JL.

Originally Posted by frisbfreek
If it didn’t show back up immediately, try waiting for 10am JST (5pm PST), as that is when JAL releases new space to partners. Good luck!
If you are already beyond schedule open availability can happen anytime so I would not wait. I would keep checking.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:23 pm

Thank you for encouraging me to keep checking! The First seats HND to SFO were back, so I got them. Not the SEA to NRT outbound, though. I will keep checking for that but susp[ect they were restored and someone else grabbed them.

Anyway, I am very happy to get the return in First back.

Love this forum.

Last edited by enzian; Feb 18, 2019 at 11:58 am
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Looking for DEL-NRT (stop) NRT-ORD in Biz on JL.
AS website shows no availability,
However, per Awardnexus, BA and QF do show availability.
What gives and how to proceed?
Where else, besides AS, can you book JL awards with stopover?
Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by aktchi
Looking for DEL-NRT (stop) NRT-ORD in Biz on JL.
AS website shows no availability,
However, per Awardnexus, BA and QF do show availability.
What gives and how to proceed?
Where else, besides AS, can you book JL awards with stopover?
Thanks!
AS does not offer JAL awards to India so that is why it is not showing on AS. You could pair an AS award NRT-ORD with another program DEL-NRT.

You want a one-way award with a stopover on JL? You can do this on AA, BA, or QF but they will charge as two awards. The only other program I that I know of that I think offers a stopover on a one-way award on JL is CX AsiaMiles.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
AS does not offer JAL awards to India so that is why it is not showing on AS. You could pair an AS award NRT-ORD with another program DEL-NRT.

You want a one-way award with a stopover on JL? You can do this on AA, BA, or QF but they will charge as two awards. The only other program I that I know of that I think offers a stopover on a one-way award on JL is CX AsiaMiles.
Uh, no? Just looked for NRT-DEL on the AS iOS app right now. Found J and Y. Go look at the award chart or do searches.

I would include a screenshot but FT is broken. Way to go. Gee, I wonder why I won’t disable ads to help support you...

OP: One possible cause is end of schedule JL flights on AS have problems, if you review the thread. Give it a day or two. Note that EOS is different on AS than BA/QF.
aktchi and jinglish like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)

I booked an identical award a few months ago: DEL-NRT-ORD on JL with a stop in NRT, booked with AS miles. So they do offer it. In this case what confuses me is that different websites are giving different results for availability: AS and AA say NO; BA and QF say YES. Some partners.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Uh, no? Just looked for NRT-DEL on the AS iOS app right now. Found J and Y. Go look at the award chart or do searches.
My Bad. I made the mistake of checking the AS award chart and no JAL listed from US or Asia to India.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.