Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
The problem of JL taking back awards that no one claims was not a problem back in 2015-2016 when I booked them using AA miles prior to the AA devaluation, because I booked all of them right when they were released and AA saw all the seats that BA saw.

But with AS not seeing JL seats for about four days after they are released, and JL grabbing them back after 48-72 hrs, that is a real problem
AS agents do have access to a manual backup system for booking awards but IME it requires a good reason, a knowledgeable agent, and supervisor approval before they are allowed to use it. It sounds like this is good reason -- their online system is defective for JAL bookings in the first few days of schedule open. I would press for a manual booking. They can check inventory buckets directly and if available book them. First is booking class Z.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
I'm trying to upgrade the NRT-JFK leg of my reservation from J to F. I see 5 F seats bookable on BA, F6 on EF, and both Alaska's website and phone agents can *see* the inventory. However, the agent (and her supervisor) said that there's a problem with confirming the seats -- something about JL not releasing them to AS? She said to call back later to try again. Has anyone run into this?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by frisbfreek
I'm trying to upgrade the NRT-JFK leg of my reservation from J to F. I see 5 F seats bookable on BA, F6 on EF, and both Alaska's website and phone agents can *see* the inventory. However, the agent (and her supervisor) said that there's a problem with confirming the seats -- something about JL not releasing them to AS? She said to call back later to try again. Has anyone run into this?
Yes, my experience is posted earlier in this thread.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30405802-post447.html

This must be soon if there are 5F available. You need to jump on this. You need to get them to use the direct access system to confirm you right now! The agent will have to get supervisor approval to use the direct access system. If they BS you with JL not releasing them, blah, blah, blah, phantom availability, blah, blah, blah, you can tell them you will use their website to book only NRT-JFK right now (if you have the miles to do it) and if it confirms they are going to have to eat crow and make you whole. And guess what? It will confirm and book, online on their website right now if you only book NRT-JFK. Their IT is a cluster and AS really pisses me off for not caring to fix it but at least you can hold their feet to the fire and make them help you.

The problem with the space confirming is due to some issue with other segments in the itinerary. If this were only a one segment trip even their website could handle it. So long as BA and AS both show seats bookable (I like to also check QF) it is available. The AS website will be able to book it if you create a new booking with only NRT-JFK. HUCA and get a supervisor involved to use their direct access system to fix this for you. That's what I had to do but it took a day of pain and suffering to figure out what was going on and demand they help fix at least my reservation even if they couldn't fix their IT issues.

ETA: When they say "it" won't confirm what they are doing is trying to confirm all segments together with their normal automated system and it is broken so it doesn't handshake with JL's systems properly to confirm it. I have only seen this on multi segment trips. When they use the direct access system they grab space right out of the availability bucket, Z for First. The reason they probably do not like to allow common use of the direct access system is that, I guess, they can grab the wrong inventory bucket if they are not careful and now they are potentially on the hook to pay for more than just a reward seat.

ETA2: And I am assuming you have not flown any segments of your ticket yet because I do not think you can change a ticket once you have flown part of it.
frisbfreek likes this.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Jan 24, 2019 at 7:27 pm
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Yes, my experience is posted earlier in this thread.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30405802-post447.html

This must be soon if there are 5F available. You need to jump on this. You need to get them to use the direct access system to confirm you right now! The agent will have to get supervisor approval to use the direct access system. If they BS you with JL not releasing them, blah, blah, blah, phantom availability, blah, blah, blah, you can tell them you will use their website to book only NRT-JFK right now (if you have the miles to do it) and if it confirms they are going to have to eat crow and make you whole. And guess what? It will confirm and book, online on their website right now if you only book NRT-JFK. Their IT is a cluster and AS really pisses me off for not caring to fix it but at least you can hold their feet to the fire and make them help you.

The problem with the space confirming is due to some issue with other segments in the itinerary. If this were only a one segment trip even their website could handle it. So long as BA and AS both show seats bookable (I like to also check QF) it is available. The AS website will be able to book it if you create a new booking with only NRT-JFK. HUCA and get a supervisor involved to use their direct access system to fix this for you. That's what I had to do but it took a day of pain and suffering to figure out what was going on and demand they help fix at least my reservation even if they couldn't fix their IT issues.

ETA: When they say "it" won't confirm what they are doing is trying to confirm all segments together with their normal automated system and it is broken so it doesn't handshake with JL's systems properly to confirm it. I have only seen this on multi segment trips. When they use the direct access system they grab space right out of the availability bucket, Z for First. The reason they probably do not like to allow common use of the direct access system is that, I guess, they can grab the wrong inventory bucket if they are not careful and now they are potentially on the hook to pay for more than just a reward seat.
Thanks for the advice! I already called back, and luckily without asking, the agent said "this needs to be done by the partner desk", and put me on hold. 5 minutes pass, she comes back and says "they're working on it, but it has to be done manually". So this definitely matches your suggestion!

But the story doesn't end there. Around 10 minutes in, I see that my reservation has already been changed... booking now says "First". I even log into the JAL website and am able to select seats in First. I thought I was all set! But interestingly, miles hadn't been deducted, and I'm still on hold. At around the 20 minute mark, the agent comes back saying they're having trouble with it. At the 40 minute mark, she recommends that she calls me back when they have it all sorted out. I finally get the call back about an hour in... they said a "phantom flight" appeared in between my two flights, and they had to send it to the "global desk" queue to get fixed. I'm supposed to get an email at some point when they've addressed it. She reassured me that I won't lose the seats though.

So as of now, I *think* I already have my flights, but my miles are still there and CC not charged. Luckily this flight is over a week away, so I have some time for this to get resolved. My itinerary is CTS-HND <28 hr stopover> NRT-JFK, so I wonder if the system is crapping out over HND-NRT + the stopover.

Update: I received a confirmation email the next evening. Miles have now been deducted, and additional taxes ($9) charged. It looks like they waived the change fee though... I’ve gotten mixed messages about this? First agent had said it is waived if I’m only doing a class of service upgrade on the same flight, while the second agent said there was no such thing. Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Last edited by frisbfreek; Jan 26, 2019 at 10:15 am
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I booked a couple of J tickets PDX>LAX>NRT for 12.8.19 about a week ago.

I was looking today to see if any first may have opened up, and my flight is no longer showing up at all. In fact all LAX>Tokyo flights, regardless of class, have disappeared.

Should i be worried? I have received no indication that the flight has been changed.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by brentyb
I booked a couple of J tickets PDX>LAX>NRT for 12.8.19 about a week ago.

I was looking today to see if any first may have opened up, and my flight is no longer showing up at all. In fact all LAX>Tokyo flights, regardless of class, have disappeared.

Should i be worried? I have received no indication that the flight has been changed.
You booked award tickets and you were issued ticket numbers? Is your booking still showing in your AS account? Then you do not have to worry. There is still a flight LAX-NRT on 12/8 and JAL is still selling paid tickets for it so I assume what you are seeing is that there is no award availability currently open on the flight. This is very common and nothing to worry about so long as you are already ticketed.

I would get the JL confirmation number from your AS reservation online and use that to check your booking on the jal.com site to confirm but from they way you describe the situation it does not sound like your flight has been cancelled.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
You booked award tickets and you were issued ticket numbers? Is your booking still showing in your AS account? Then you do not have to worry. There is still a flight LAX-NRT on 12/8 and JAL is still selling paid tickets for it so I assume what you are seeing is that there is no award availability currently open on the flight. This is very common and nothing to worry about so long as you are already ticketed.

I would get the JL confirmation number from your AS reservation online and use that to check your booking on the jal.com site to confirm but from they way you describe the situation it does not sound like your flight has been cancelled.
Yeah, everything is showing as normal on jal.com and alaska.com. Its just weird that all the LAX>Tokyo flights seemed to have disappear that day and the surrounding dates.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by brentyb
Yeah, everything is showing as normal on jal.com and alaska.com. Its just weird that all the LAX>Tokyo flights seemed to have disappear that day and the surrounding dates.
To be clear, the flights have not disappeared. There is just no award availability currently on those flights. Welcome to Award Availability 101. This is very common.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Is there a new award chart for JL redemption between Asia and US?

I just redeemed PEK - NRT - JFK in J, but didn't realize until after confirmation it was 65K? I had a similar redemption last year: JFK - NRT - DEL in J for 60K miles.

I thought the additional 5K is for SE Asia redemption.

Write to AS?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Is there a new award chart for JL redemption between Asia and US?

I just redeemed PEK - NRT - JFK in J, but didn't realize until after confirmation it was 65K? I had a similar redemption last year: JFK - NRT - DEL in J for 60K miles.

I thought the additional 5K is for SE Asia redemption.

Write to AS?
Interesting - PEK/NRT/JFK does indeed price out at 65K in J, while DEL/NRT/JFK is still 60K.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by minz56
Interesting - PEK/NRT/JFK does indeed price out at 65K in J, while DEL/NRT/JFK is still 60K.
Been that way forever. DEL prices differently than PEK, ICN or BKK, same as NRT.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: alaska
Anyone had any luck scoring J or F on NRT/LAX T-14(15) ish?

I see a fair bit of availability both at T14 released for HND/SFO; NRT/YVR; NRT/SAN, NRT/SEA, JFK route, (etc)..but nothing except Y for the NRT/LAX route. This has been consistent for the last month or so.

Last edited by gdam22; Jan 30, 2019 at 12:19 pm
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by gdam22
Anyone had any luck scoring J or F on NRT/LAX T-14(15) ish?

I see a fair bit of availability both at T14 released for HND/SFO; NRT/YVR; NRT/SAN, NRT/SEA, JFK route, (etc)..but nothing except Y for the NRT/LAX route. This has been consistent for the last month or so.
NRT->LAX available 2/4, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/12 now. It is not always released at exactly T-14. It depends on the day of the week and the loads/load predictions. Best thing to do if no F is available is line up J and check frequently for F opening up.
gdam22 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
AS agents do have access to a manual backup system for booking awards but IME it requires a good reason, a knowledgeable agent, and supervisor approval before they are allowed to use it. It sounds like this is good reason -- their online system is defective for JAL bookings in the first few days of schedule open. I would press for a manual booking. They can check inventory buckets directly and if available book them. First is booking class Z.
Are those the magic words, manual booking?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Are those the magic words, manual booking?
I think the proper term is "Direct Access" but some agents refer to it as a manual booking so maybe mention both and they should know what you are talking about. They are told not to use it without a good reason and it always requires supervisor approval IME but for some JL changes I have found it to be the only way they could process it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.