Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by tobikosan
Thank you for the response. I'm a bit confused. I would be using alaska miles. So if I could not find for example NRT-LAX but did find NRT-ORD could I book this with AS miles then call AS and ask for free connecting flight ORD to LAX? Or if I found NRT-ORD-LAX but the ORD-LAX portion was not a flight I liked could I change? Sorry, I know this is complicated but that is why I am asking.
Since you are MVPG you can make changes for free if changes are allowed. You will have to pay (or you will get a refund for) any differences in taxes for the new flights. The problem may be that AS has a policy (I believe) that no backtracking is allowed on an award so some agents might not be willing to change NRT-ORD to NRT-ORD-LAX (since ORD-LAX could be considered by some as backtracking) even though you might be able to book this on the website. If you were able to book NRT-ORD-LAX on the website it would be no problem to change this to NRT-LAX if space became available. Also if you had NRT-(F)-ORD-(Y)-LAX (ORD-LAX in coach) and F award space became available for your ORD-LAX segment you could change the award for no fee (I believe even for no status folks).

One thing I have heard but not experienced since I mostly book one-ways is that AS has a policy that you cannot make changes to an award after the first segment of the award is flown (except for Irregular Operations on the day of travel). It would be better for someone more versed in the policy to comment but I believe this would mean, for example, if you ticketed a round-trip LAX-NRT with a NRT-ORD-LAX return you could not change the return portion of the trip after you have flown the outbound (which would mean in this case that you would be stuck with the NRT-ORD-LAX return flight once you have flown the outbound even if a non-stop NRT-LAX opened up). So, for you, with MVPG status and free changes, it is probably better to book two one-ways rather than one round-trip so that you keep your options open for return flight changes.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Re:backtracking, I had no trouble booking SFO-ORD-NRT when SFO-HND had no availability.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Thank you. SKIMTHETREES:
For example on AS using calendar if I try to book LAX-TOKYO in F on Dec 4th there is no availability in JAL F. If I try to book LAX-HKG on same date then the JAL LAX-TOKYO segment is available. I find this on multiple days and on multiple routes. For example on the return while I can't find TOKYO-LA late Dec I can find NRT to NYC that flies the NRT-LAX JAL F then adds on a LAX-JFK main cabin the next day
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:48 pm

Thank you. SKIMTHETREES:
For example on AS using calendar if I try to book LAX-TOKYO in F on Dec 4th there is no availability in JAL F. If I try to book LAX-HKG on same date then the JAL LAX-TOKYO segment is available. I find this on multiple days and on multiple routes. For example on the return while I can't find TOKYO-LA late Dec I can find NRT to NYC that flies the NRT-LAX JAL F then adds on a LAX-JFK main cabin the next day
You do not need calendar search for this close in. I think I see what you are talking about. I am guessing you are attempting to book for 2 people? AS shows 1F award available LAX-TYO but not 2F. Searching for 2 AS finds as you describe LAX-TYO(F), TYO(Y)-HKG. BA does not show this. QF does show this. My guess is this is either a POS (Point of Sale) issue or a difference in partner availability. The availability of JL61 on 12/4 is F2 A2 (only 2 F seats left for sale) and I would not normally expect to see the last F seat go for an award this early but it may later. But...., given the fact that both QF and AS show 2F to HKG I would think you have a chance to book this. I would try it. Once it tickets (not before), and this may not happen immediately, then I think you could drop the TYO-HKG segment. Ordinarily you should be able to drop the NRT-HKG segment once booked but before ticketing but this situation is not ordinary. I think if you try to drop the NRT-HKG before ticketing you will be stuck in a new availability check and find only 1F LAX-HKG.

I would definitely try to ticket LAX-NRT-HKG for 2F if you really want it and then ONLY AFTER it tickets drop the NRT-HKG segment. Until you see that AS has issued the tickets and both ticket numbers appear in the reservation you will need to wait. If it takes more than 24 hours to ticket I would call back and ask them to ticket while you are on the phone. I think there is good chance this will work. It may not, but I would risk it, especially if I were MVPG like you since if it does not work out you will only be out the partner fee. This, of course, assumes you have a strategy for a return flight.

Edited to Add: There are 2J awards LAX-NRT on 12/3 if J works for you. Also 2F on 12/4 via SFO.
tobikosan likes this.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Nov 24, 2018 at 2:02 pm
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
You do not need calendar search for this close in. I think I see what you are talking about. I am guessing you are attempting to book for 2 people? AS shows 1F award available LAX-TYO but not 2F. Searching for 2 AS finds as you describe LAX-TYO(F), TYO(Y)-HKG. BA does not show this. QF does show this. My guess is this is either a POS (Point of Sale) issue or a difference in partner availability. The availability of JL61 on 12/4 is F2 A2 (only 2 F seats left for sale) and I would not normally expect to see the last F seat go for an award this early but it may later. But...., given the fact that both QF and AS show 2F to HKG I would think you have a chance to book this. I would try it. Once it tickets (not before), and this may not happen immediately, then I think you could drop the TYO-HKG segment. Ordinarily you should be able to drop the NRT-HKG segment once booked but before ticketing but this situation is not ordinary. I think if you try to drop the NRT-HKG before ticketing you will be stuck in a new availability check and find only 1F LAX-HKG.

I would definitely try to ticket LAX-NRT-HKG for 2F if you really want it and then ONLY AFTER it tickets drop the NRT-HKG segment. Until you see that AS has issued the tickets and both ticket numbers appear in the reservation you will need to wait. If it takes more than 24 hours to ticket I would call back and ask them to ticket while you are on the phone. I think there is good chance this will work. It may not, but I would risk it, especially if I were MVPG like you since if it does not work out you will only be out the partner fee. This, of course, assumes you have a strategy for a return flight.

Edited to Add: There are 2J awards LAX-NRT on 12/3 if J works for you. Also 2F on 12/4 via SFO.
Thank you again. Yes looking for 2 F awards. My return strategy was the second example, where no TYO-LAX for two but plenty of TYO-LAX-JFK or TYO-ORD-LAX. FYI not free until after the 6th.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:11 pm

Thank you again. Yes looking for 2 F awards. My return strategy was the second example, where no TYO-LAX for two but plenty of TYO-LAX-JFK or TYO-ORD-LAX. FYI not free until after the 6th.
So, you're not free on the 6th? Because there is 2F available LAX-NRT on 12/6 right now.

I would keep checking regularly for availability to open up for days 12/7 and later. Especially around 5PM PST which is around when JAL does their daily inventory update.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
So, you're not free on the 6th? Because there is 2F available LAX-NRT on 12/6 right now.

I would keep checking regularly for availability to open up for days 12/7 and later. Especially around 5PM PST which is around when JAL does their daily inventory update.
Hmmm. Awesome, thank you. So it does not show up in AS calendar search but does when you do it manually day by day. So much to learn.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
This married segment thing is a major PITA. I have KOA-NRT (3/3) //HND-SIN (3/9) and want to move the HND-SIN back one day. HND-SIN is available in J on 3/10, but not for KOA-NRT (3/3) and then HND-SIN on 3/10. Having to have the entire int available again makes it soooo much harder.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Deltahater
This married segment thing is a major PITA. I have KOA-NRT (3/3) //HND-SIN (3/9) and want to move the HND-SIN back one day. HND-SIN is available in J on 3/10, but not for KOA-NRT (3/3) and then HND-SIN on 3/10. Having to have the entire int available again makes it soooo much harder.
This should not be an issue if you already have KOA-NRT (3/3). They should be able to keep that segment without doing a new availability check for it and change the HND-SIN to 3/10 since it is available. The agent was trying to completely replace the itinerary which is wrong. You should hang up and call again. If the agent is not able to do it after you explain that the original segments were obviously not married (since they are more than 24 hours apart they cannot be connecting as married) they should be able to keep the KOA-NRT segment and add a new segment if there is availability, which there is. They can do this.
Deltahater likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Since AS does not book (anyone anyone anymore as I can tell) premium economy, anyone have any luck calling JAL and buying up to PE?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by DG206
Since AS does not book (anyone anyone anymore as I can tell) premium economy, anyone have any luck calling JAL and buying up to PE?
Award tickets are on AS stock, so you’re unlikely to get JL to change the ticket. It’s a JL flight number and not a codeshare flight number so it should still be eligible for counter upgrades at the airport on the day of departure, if seats are remaining.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/apopyug.html
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel

Award tickets are on AS stock, so you’re unlikely to get JL to change the ticket. It’s a JL flight number and not a codeshare flight number so it should still be eligible for counter upgrades at the airport on the day of departure, if seats are remaining.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/apopyug.html
Thanks for info, will look into that. Looks like Economy on JAL is pretty decent to begin with so not end of the world if we get stuck in the back
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Thanks for info, will look into that. Looks like Economy on JAL is pretty decent to begin with so not end of the world if we get stuck in the back
^I would agree, the only real downside is the 3-3-3 seating when traveling as a couple (vs 2-4-2 in PE) and the relatively poor redemption value vs J/F (imo).

The SkyWider seat itself is quite nice for Y with just slightly less amenities and food (still more than many airlines these days) than PE.
DG206 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel

^I would agree, the only real downside is the 3-3-3 seating when traveling as a couple (vs 2-4-2 in PE) and the relatively poor redemption value vs J/F (imo).

The SkyWider seat itself is quite nice for Y with just slightly less amenities and food (still more than many airlines these days) than PE.
we'll have a lap infant so really looking to avoid 3-3-3 here, not fun we've found. Might just splurge and do business, lap infant is 10% adult fare which comes out to about the cost of 1 PE paid upgrade
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
we'll have a lap infant so really looking to avoid 3-3-3 here, not fun we've found. Might just splurge and do business, lap infant is 10% adult fare which comes out to about the cost of 1 PE paid upgrade
AS no longer guarantees a lap infant on partner awards. As per their website you will need to redeem for a seat for the infant.

Lap infant ticketing: We are no longer able to guarantee that lap infants will be accepted with your international partner award ticket.
Until further notice, Mileage Plan members will need to book seats for infants at the standard mileage rate on international partner award bookings. For travel wholly within the US, or wholly on Alaska Airlines, standard lap infant policies apply.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.