Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Booked JL J to BKK, ticket issued smooth as butter. It's the 788 out of YVR (but daytime flight that gets me in around midnight-1 am SEA time so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯- good incentive to stay up for a few hours and try to adjust to new time zone) and AS is routing me SEA-PDX-YVR () but I'll see if I can optimize later. Might just try at the airport.

Yes, I know, should have done CX for less. Well, I wanted a few days in Tokyo since Hong Kong was the last trip. So JL it is. Though I might swap BKK to SIN or KUL. The idea is to hit Europe later from the wrong way.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:42 pm
wkc

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Booked JL J to BKK, ticket issued smooth as butter. It's the 788 out of YVR (but daytime flight that gets me in around midnight-1 am SEA time so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯- good incentive to stay up for a few hours and try to adjust to new time zone) and AS is routing me SEA-PDX-YVR () but I'll see if I can optimize later. Might just try at the airport.
Why not do a positioning flight to SFO or ORD instead to avoid the angle-flat seat they use in YVR?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:18 am

Does the 24 hr free cancelation policy also refund the partner booking fee ($12.50 for one way, $25 roundtrip)???
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jrey
Does the 24 hr free cancelation policy also refund the partner booking fee ($12.50 for one way, $25 roundtrip)???
No! That is not refundable for anyone, including MVPG+

James
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:03 am

We cant book JL awards from Tokyo to Europe using AS miles?

Tried searching TYO to Europe but only ended up with Finnair awards...

thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
We cant book JL awards from Tokyo to Europe using AS miles?

Tried searching TYO to Europe but only ended up with Finnair awards...

thanks!
AS only has Asia-Europe charts for AY and CX--and the latter is from HKG only.
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:15 am
Suspended

Anyone having trouble booking awards on the website? I'm trying to book a first class award that I see from NRT-ORD and when I get to the confirm page and confirm, it then says "not able to confirm space with partner airline." Do I need to call in or what?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by kapooncha
Anyone having trouble booking awards on the website? I'm trying to book a first class award that I see from NRT-ORD and when I get to the confirm page and confirm, it then says "not able to confirm space with partner airline." Do I need to call in or what?
Lots of issues and discussions posted upthread. Does it include the last first class award seat on the flight?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by kapooncha
AS is showing phantom F availability in some cases. You need to confirm on the BA and QF sites that availability actually exists. If it does AS should be able to book it.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:33 pm

I need to get from Vietnam to Philippines in March 2019 and I'd like to use my AS miles, but I have a few questions regarding reedeming on JAL:
  • I managed to find a decent availability on the route HAN-NRT-MNL (even better in C), but I can't find any routes from SGN, despite Wiki says JAL flies there - do you know why?
  • After selecting two "Partner Business" award seats on HAN-NRT-MNL route I keep getting an error "We are having technical issues and are unable to complete your request at this time. Please try again later. If you continue to receive this message call Reservations at (1-800-252-7522). Error Code: -1599" - is it temporary, or you have to book JAL award via phone?
  • Last but not least, both of the legs are operated by 787-9, do you have any idea how to check with JAL Suite version those planes are equipped with?
Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FindAWay
Lots of issues and discussions posted upthread. Does it include the last first class award seat on the flight?
It must be the last. Not a single F award is showing on BA for April from NRT-ORD. Really, really hard to believe. I had been under the impression that JAL award space wasn't all that hard to get.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton Diamond
I tried to book a 2 JAL F award today. AS shows available - BA and QF do not
As I was missing a few miles I went ahead and bought those miles. I now get the message

We're sorry, we aren't able to confirm space on these partner flights. Please try again and choose different flights, dates or cities

Called AS to have them book it but they say if I get the message, they will get the same. If this is phantom availability I might have spend money to purchase those missing miles for nothing. Will they refund and cancel the sale ?
Thanks
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:38 pm

Thank u!
Keep seeing only AY which I dont want to get on.

Originally Posted by jinglish
AS only has Asia-Europe charts for AY and CX--and the latter is from HKG only.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by witthuus
I tried to book a 2 JAL F award today. AS shows available - BA and QF do not
As I was missing a few miles I went ahead and bought those miles. I now get the message

We're sorry, we aren't able to confirm space on these partner flights. Please try again and choose different flights, dates or cities

Called AS to have them book it but they say if I get the message, they will get the same. If this is phantom availability I might have spend money to purchase those missing miles for nothing. Will they refund and cancel the sale ?
Thanks
I think mileage sales are final as they are processed by Points.com and not Alaska. You can look at Points.com T&C to see if there is a refund process. Good luck!
witthuus likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by osotoc
I think mileage sales are final as they are processed by Points.com and not Alaska. You can look at Points.com T&C to see if there is a refund process. Good luck!
He can do a chargeback through his CC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.