Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
Interesting proposition. While I've been in T2 several times and there appear to be several restaurants, I didn't get the sense that hanging out one for 4 hours would be welcomed by the restaurant. Out of curiosity, what is the charge to use the AAdmiral's Club for each person? And is it worth it over the CX Lounge?
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...membership.jsp

What you choose depends on whether or not you want to do the International Terminal-T2 dance or not. The CX lounge at SFO is a superior lounge to the AC, but it's going to require clearing security twice and a fair amount of schlepping to and fro. I don't find SFO T2 unpleasant at all as a place to kill time. Cat Cora's hasn't been pushy about wanting me out of my chair.

Personally I'd go to Freshen Up! after baggage recheck, get a meal in T2, and just hang out there, instead of spending the money on the AC.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
A little confused. Looking for TYO-JFK for 2 in preferably F, but would be willing to accept J. NRT-JFK and HND-JFK both show 2 available in J and F for my dates on BA and QF sites. AS phone doesn't see it but the web search *occasionally* but not always shows two J available for HND-JFK. The *calendar* search shows availability at the 60k J and 70k F levels, which lines up with JAL costs, but then doesn't show anything at that price on the actual calendar when I click through. Very confused.

Last edited by steveholt; Jul 11, 2018 at 12:15 pm Reason: forgot calendar
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by steveholt
A little confused. Looking for TYO-JFK for 2 in preferably F, but would be willing to accept J. NRT-JFK and HND-JFK both show 2 available in J and F for my dates on BA and QF sites. AS phone doesn't see it but the web search *occasionally* but not always shows two J available for HND-JFK. The *calendar* search shows availability at the 60k J and 70k F levels, which lines up with JAL costs, but then doesn't show anything at that price on the actual calendar when I click through. Very confused.
Yeah, it's unfortunate. The issue has been long-standing....I wonder if you could book 1 seat using AS and a 2nd seat using a different mile/point currency (that's what I had to do) -here's what I had to do earlier this year (from upthread):

Originally Posted by FindAWay
TL;DR: Sadly, this didn't help me. I tried over a dozen agents and none were able to confirm the space. Eventually, I simply booked the exact same flights using (nearly twice as many) Avios easily online on my first try (first I tried AA, but, they had the same difficulty confirming the space).

Could there may be an issue with AS & AA being able to confirm the last available award seat in a cabin?

In my case, when I started, there were 2 Business Class seats available. Countless tries with AS website and phone agents yielded an inability to confirm the seats each and every time. I always waited until the space reappeared on BA & Qantas before calling-in. Then, I tried booking only 1 seat via AS's website and, viola, instant ticket.....so, now, there was only 1 seat remaining. Next, with only 1 seat remaining in Business Class award inventory, I tried again, relentlessly with AS phone agents and AS's website to no avail. So, I tried AA, 3 separate agents ran into the same issue - unable to confirm the seats. Finally, with a heavy heart, I used 127,500 avios instead of the 65k AS or 70k AA miles and booked the 1 remaining seat in Business Class award inventory via their website on the first try. But, since my wife was already booked on those flights, I was in a bind.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by FindAWay
Yeah, it's unfortunate. The issue has been long-standing....I wonder if you could book 1 seat using AS and a 2nd seat using a different mile/point currency (that's what I had to do) -here's what I had to do earlier this year (from upthread):
Happy ending here! I actually just kept searching the AS site over and over again and then eventually, with no rhyme or reason or explanation, the two F seats from Haneda showed up and I was able to book them online. Very weird.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by steveholt
Happy ending here! I actually just kept searching the AS site over and over again and then eventually, with no rhyme or reason or explanation, the two F seats from Haneda showed up and I was able to book them online. Very weird.
Congrats! It gives me hope on my next attempt.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:40 am

Interesting experience, maybe this will help somebody else. Has to do with married segments, entire thing took place over the phone.

1) Goal is to get three people to Singapore in J, with a 2 hour connection in Tokyo.
2) JFKNRT showed 3J. NRTSIN showed 3J. AS agent confirmed.
3) JFKSIN only showed 2J.
3) Ticketed the 2J with agent.
4) Tried again to see if JFKSIN was available. No luck.
5) Work around was to ticket JFKNRT and NRTSIN separately. That means 60K + 25K miles, instead of 65K. I'm ok with that.
6) So, all three passengers on same flights. Total of 3 PNRs.

First time I came across a married segment issue with JL, though I have when booking Emirates in the past.

Best, Jamie
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Interesting experience, maybe this will help somebody else. Has to do with married segments, entire thing took place over the phone.

1) Goal is to get three people to Singapore in J, with a 2 hour connection in Tokyo.
2) JFKNRT showed 3J. NRTSIN showed 3J. AS agent confirmed.
3) JFKSIN only showed 2J.
3) Ticketed the 2J with agent.
4) Tried again to see if JFKSIN was available. No luck.
5) Work around was to ticket JFKNRT and NRTSIN separately. That means 60K + 25K miles, instead of 65K. I'm ok with that.
6) So, all three passengers on same flights. Total of 3 PNRs.

First time I came across a married segment issue with JL, though I have when booking Emirates in the past.

Best, Jamie
I've had an agent help w/ married segments on CX in the past. You shouldn't have to pay the higher mileage for what should otherwise be bookable as a single award, even if they're two segments married into a single reservation. I'd call back, and have them check with a supervisor or the pricing desk to see about getting back the extra miles.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
is the lack of space on domestic routes normal? Grabbed JFK-NRT in F for April 2019 but it seems NRT-CTS can only be booked about 60 days out? Looks like inside 60 days almost every flight is available. I sampled Osaka as well and same result
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CDKing
is the lack of space on domestic routes normal? Grabbed JFK-NRT in F for April 2019 but it seems NRT-CTS can only be booked about 60 days out? Looks like inside 60 days almost every flight is available. I sampled Osaka as well and same result
Yes, this intentional and was changed relatively recently by JAL.

JL Domestic Flight release for Oneworld seat

Last edited by rustykettel; Jul 22, 2018 at 7:01 pm
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel

Yes, this intentional and was changed relatively recently by JAL.

JL Domestic Flight release for Oneworld seat
Damn, oh well. I have RT booked on KE in J as well just in case. At least to gold change fee will come in handy, otherwise there is always the train.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by CDKing
Damn, oh well. I have RT booked on KE in J as well just in case. At least to gold change fee will come in handy, otherwise there is always the train.
NRT-CTS train????
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
NRT-CTS train????
Sounds like a fun day trip Its what about 12 hours with connections?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
I've had an agent help w/ married segments on CX in the past. You shouldn't have to pay the higher mileage for what should otherwise be bookable as a single award, even if they're two segments married into a single reservation. I'd call back, and have them check with a supervisor or the pricing desk to see about getting back the extra miles.
Thanks. As luck would have it, F opened up JFKNRT and more NRTSIN in J opened as well, so I ended up marrying new segments and still getting some miles back from what I had initially spent. So all good. Had zero problems.

Jamie
rustykettel and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: NZ
Hi there ... I have read in this thread that people have encountered problems ticketing a JL Intra Asia award with a stopover in Tokyo. I am looking at the following itinerary:

15 Oct KUL/TYO
20 Oct TYO/BKK

AS website shows availability at 25K points plus taxes in J, but before I transfer the points into AS I want to be sure that the website will ticket this booking.

Does anyone have any recent experience of this kind of award?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by minz56
Hi there ... I have read in this thread that people have encountered problems ticketing a JL Intra Asia award with a stopover in Tokyo. I am looking at the following itinerary:

15 Oct KUL/TYO
20 Oct TYO/BKK

AS website shows availability at 25K points plus taxes in J, but before I transfer the points into AS I want to be sure that the website will ticket this booking.

Does anyone have any recent experience of this kind of award?
never had a problem. call and confirm space with agent. remember transfers take time and seats might not be there. buy the points if able as that’s instantaneous.
minz56 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.