Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Single seat should have a pretty good shot IME if F isn't full on this route. Typically would open within 2 weeks (or closer) however.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by thecowgoesmoo
I'm new to booking award travel on JL, so I apologize for this noobish question (and obviously I won't hold anyone to this): how likely would it be for me to be able to get a single F seat from SFO to HND during the first week or two of this upcoming April (i.e., in three months) if I'm willing to wait until the bitter end? I've already got a backup plan arranged on an entirely different route, but it would be nice to know if I'm better off making plans with the assumption that I probably won't be having a stopover in Tokyo.
If you're set on F and 4/13 is still within your time frame BA currently shows 2 seats from SFO to HND. If you have flexibility for business class then it looks like you have plenty of date options in the first 2 weeks per BA.

In my case when I started looking for seats for a trip to Tokyo on JL in late December for this March I initially also didn't see any open F seats. I played around with dates and I was able to do an initial booking for business seats and then I kept checking (felt insane as I often checked the BA site 3 times a day) in case any F seats opened. A week after booking my business seats F seats opened around my outbound dates so I called Alaska customer support and switch from business to first. I kept checking again and just before new year's eve I was able to see F seats open around the dates of my return flight so again I called customer support and had them assist with changing my booking. I guess what I' m trying to say based solely on my experience is that since you are still far out from 60 days of your flight you may want to consider grabbing a business seat and check regularly for an F seat to open up. Worst case if you decide not to take the booked business seat you just cancel before the 60 day cutoff to get your points back and you'd just be out the booking fee Alaska charges.
thecowgoesmoo likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: many
When wanting to book two award seats on the same itin and pay from two different AS accounts, is AS pretty good at grabbing the space first, then splitting to separate PNRs to have the mileage come out of two different accounts? These are one ways, so no using one account for one direction and the other for the return. TIA
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by pcharles
When wanting to book two award seats on the same itin and pay from two different AS accounts, is AS pretty good at grabbing the space first, then splitting to separate PNRs to have the mileage come out of two different accounts? These are one ways, so no using one account for one direction and the other for the return. TIA
either login book 1, log out, login with other account and book the second .....or use two browsers and book from each. Requiring miles to come from two separate accounts means they need to be booked from each account!
this question has nothing to do with JAL booking, by the way.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: JL S/JGC | AS MVP | Hyatt G
Originally Posted by FTNNBP
If you're set on F and 4/13 is still within your time frame BA currently shows 2 seats from SFO to HND. If you have flexibility for business class then it looks like you have plenty of date options in the first 2 weeks per BA.
Thanks for that, and the encouraging words. 4/13 is a little later than I planned on, but I can live with it I've been checking Alaska and BA way too frequently for my own health at this point, but I'll keep trying for a better date, and the connection!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyoite

either login book 1, log out, login with other account and book the second .....or use two browsers and book from each. Requiring miles to come from two separate accounts means they need to be booked from each account!
this question has nothing to do with JAL booking, by the way.
It seems I neglected to refer to if AS AGENTS are competent at acquiring 2 seats then splitting the PNRs for ticketing across two accounts? And yes I know how to book from seperate accounts online, I wasnt asking if they need to be. Of course its for JAL seats, the thread title is at least obvious, by the way
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by pcharles

It seems I neglected to refer to if AS AGENTS are competent at acquiring 2 seats then splitting the PNRs for ticketing across two accounts? And yes I know how to book from seperate accounts online, I wasnt asking if they need to be. Of course its for JAL seats, the thread title is at least obvious, by the way
I know it can be done by an agent, but I haven't done it personally so I don't know of the mechanics. My understanding is that the agent is able to draw from two accounts for a single PNR and single itinerary. Each person must have the full individual required miles in their own account, no splitting 1/4 from one person's account and 3/4 from the other account for instance.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel

I know it can be done by an agent, but I haven't done it personally so I don't know of the mechanics. My understanding is that the agent is able to draw from two accounts for a single PNR and single itinerary. Each person must have the full individual required miles in their own account, no splitting 1/4 from one person's account and 3/4 from the other account for instance.
That would work well. The accounts will have the full amount in each individual account, no quarter/halves, etc I wouldnt care if it was two separate PNRs, but if they can pull into a single, then even better.
Thank you.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: JL S/JGC | AS MVP | Hyatt G
Another rookie question: as FTNNBP pointed out, there were 2 F seats available for 4/13 on JL001. I signed up for ExpertFlyer to play around with it a bit, and noticed that after I booked that flight EF showed F6 A6. When I went back today to check on other dates on BA, I saw that the other F seat was no longer available for the 13th. Out of curiosity, I went back to EF expecting to see F5 A5. Instead, it showed F7 A7. Does this mean that they took that seat back out of award inventory to sell, and is it because someone (me) booked one of them?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Come on, @thecowgoesmoo. Your question has nothing to do with booking JL using AS.
It is either about JL inventory management, or EF display mechanics (why it displayed F6 and then switched to F7).
You might have better luck asking in the JL forum.
13 Apr 2018 [Fri] JL 1 SFO HND
Code:
F7 A7 J9 C9 D9 X6 W9 E8 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
You might have better luck asking in the JL forum.
Nope. JAL forum is very quick to shut down any questions or discussion regarding award availability or inventory, if it's in anyway related to partners or inventory available to partners.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:32 pm

AlaskaAir.com seem to have so much trouble confirming JL space. I checked with AA, BA, and AS. Everyone saw the space. As soon as I entered the credit card and checked out, it couldn't be confirmed on alaska. Calling in is like pulling teeth with these people. They said whatever the website shows is what they see. BA and AA still have the space, it just doesn't show on Alaska.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I booked award travel for an Asia trip in May. My outbound flights are SFO - HND, NRT - TPE with a 7-day stopover in Tokyo. Both flights are booked in J because there was no F availability. J is fine, but I'd gladly have paid the extra 10k miles for F (even if only for the first flight). My return flights are with another partner.

I know that one change is allowed to my itinerary (free if more than 60 days prior to departure; $125 otherwise). Are those changes limited to just date / flight changes, or can I make class of service changes as well? In other words, if F availability on JAL opens up later, will they let me use my change to switch to F, at a cost of 10k miles?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I booked award travel for an Asia trip in May. My outbound flights are SFO - HND, NRT - TPE with a 7-day stopover in Tokyo. Both flights are booked in J because there was no F availability. J is fine, but I'd gladly have paid the extra 10k miles for F (even if only for the first flight). My return flights are with another partner.

I know that one change is allowed to my itinerary (free if more than 60 days prior to departure; $125 otherwise). Are those changes limited to just date / flight changes, or can I make class of service changes as well? In other words, if F availability on JAL opens up later, will they let me use my change to switch to F, at a cost of 10k miles?
Unlimited changes even origin/destination and dates (or just cancel) outside of 60 days from departure for no fee. Inside 60 days changes/cancel have $125 fee per passenger
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really? Unlimited changes? This is copied and pasted from their site (exact travel date redacted):

• Any changes to this itinerary may result in an increase in your taxes, fees or require additional miles.
  • Changes/cancellations: If travel hasn't begun, you can make one change to this itinerary, or you can cancel and redeposit miles within 24 hours of original purchase with no fee.
  • Partner award tickets are nontransferable.
  • Changes to this itinerary are subject to additional fare and taxes. A fee of $125 USD per person will also be assessed for changes and cancellations made on or after XXXX XX 2018. Change fees are waived for all MVP® Gold members.
  • Promotional discounts: Discounts are not applicable to already purchased reservations.
  • Government regulations require specific travel documents for international travel.
It clearly says that I can make one change. Is that actually unlimited changes?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.