Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
my first try at booking JL F with AS miles .... AS calendar seems to be one day behind JL award release calendar. But even then, the space seen by AS is seriously off compared to what BA and JL searches show (calling doesn't help, the agents seem to see exactly what AS search engine sees). AS sees NOTHING when there's 2 J seats available.

I've booked JL F and CX F with AA miles, and CX F with AS miles, they always saw what BA and JL search sees. Never had this kind of availability difference before.

Do others have similar experience?
In my experience, I have had 100% success in booking CX, QF & JL awards with availability I see on QF. QF & JL can be booked online. Others have reported differences in availability and errors with online award purchases. I should qualify that I have never booked anything at 330 days out. Most of my bookings are within 4 to 3 months out and some last minute.

I booked a JL J/F yesterday HKG-HND-JFK with onward travel to Mexico after a 2 month stopover. I will be on those flights starting next week.

James
tobikosan likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA, AS
my first try at booking JL F with AS miles .... AS calendar seems to be one day behind JL award release calendar. But even then, the space seen by AS is seriously off compared to what BA and JL searches show (calling doesn't help, the agents seem to see exactly what AS search engine sees). AS sees NOTHING when there's 2 J seats available.

I've booked JL F and CX F with AA miles, and CX F with AS miles, they always saw what BA and JL search sees. Never had this kind of availability difference before.

Do others have similar experience?
Are you trying to book as soon as the schedule opens? I have seen an anomaly where the first day of the schedule AS did not show J space. Very annoying. After the first day if the space is still around it will show up on AS slightly less that 24 hours later (maybe 23?). Y and F show the first day but not J. I have not looked in a while but it sounds like this might still be happening based on your troubles.

Potential workaround is to hold space with another program (AA, BA) and cancel the next day to return the seats to inventory where you can pick them up once they are in the AS JL J window. AS did not have a full 24 hour J block. It was maybe 23 1/2 or less hour block on JL J when I ran into it.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Potential workaround is to hold space with another program (AA, BA) and cancel the next day to return the seats to inventory where you can pick them up once they are in the AS JL J window. AS did not have a full 24 hour J block. It was maybe 23 1/2 or less hour block on JL J when I ran into it.
Yes, I ended up using AA to hold the seats for five days , will cancel the hold and hopefully can book it with AS
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The availability the phone agents see appear to be the exact same as the AS website. I compared JL availability using BA search to AS search. The business class availability seems to match, but AS has a four day lag time. F class availability seems to be hit or miss.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
I’ve had times where the AS phone agent would see availability (and matches the AS website) but wouldn’t be able to grab the seat. I checked BA while on the phone, and the seats weren’t available on BA. So it’s best to verify on BA/QF before booking.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:52 pm

The availability the phone agents see appear to be the exact same as the AS website. I compared JL availability using BA search to AS search. The business class availability seems to match, but AS has a four day lag time. F class availability seems to be hit or miss.
Off and on there is a workaround to the 4 day block by starting your search using calendar mode. Unfortunately, this workaround is not currently working.

I do not know if it will affect you but AS does cache some JL availability. This may mean that when you cancel your AA booked awards that inventory will be returned to partners but AS may not show it until their next inventory cache update, possibly a few hours later, so you may have to check regularly for a while after canceling the awards.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not know if it will affect you but AS does cache some JL availability. This may mean that when you cancel your AA booked awards that inventory will be returned to partners but AS may not show it until their next inventory cache update, possibly a few hours later, so you may have to check regularly for a while after canceling the awards.
ugh. Booking CX with AS was actually simple, even better than with AA since you didn't have to wait for the tickets to be issued, and I haven't run into the AS=CX-1 problem. I can't believe how difficult booking JL award is, at this point if I run into the caching problem you describe, I might just give up and use 110k AA miles instead of 75k AS miles . Then wait until T-14 to see if CX F opens and book that with AS and redeposit the AA miles. This is freaking insane, but I guess you get what you pay for
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
They probably update their cache when you make the change through them. I've seen this too (cancelling an award and having it immediately return to inventory).

Then they probably have some batch job that runs every once in a while, downloads the current data, and overwrites their cache.
Has anyone any idea what times or how frequency this updating occurs?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone any idea what times or how frequency this updating occurs?
This is all a guess on my part. I don't work for AS or anything It's just an "obvious" way to implement it, and it matches my observations. But it might be totally wrong.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So there is something definitely sketchy going on and its not just on AS side. Like clockwork at 330 days out, 8pm ET, 2 J and 2 F award seats are released. Having watched ORD-NRT like a hawk the last two weeks, I noticed that 48-72 hours later, the 2 F seats would disappear. I assumed that was due to increased demand due to lack of CX F awards in 2019.

But AS was not seeing any JL seats until four days later. So I waited until 329 days out (so as to book the asia connection) and held 2 F awards on AA for five days. I then canceled the award on day five, ORD-NRT did not go back into award inventory BUT the asia connection flight did.

I was shocked, and then checked google flights, to my surprise, nearly all the dates had 8 F seats for sale but none of them had any F award seats anymore even though they initially had 2 released at 330 days, 8pm ET.

Conclusion: JL releases 2 F seats, then 48-72 hours later, takes them back if no one grabs them.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Very interesting.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:15 pm

Conclusion: JL releases 2 F seats, then 48-72 hours later, takes them back if no one grabs them.
I have not tracked this for a few months but I did see a pattern a few months ago where JL would take back unclaimed F availability on certain days of the week, I guess most days of the week, but there were a couple of days midweek where they would not take the F availability back (Tues, Wednesday, maybe?) even if not claimed. Are you seeing any days mid-week with 8F and F awards available?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: NZ
I have not tracked this for a few months but I did see a pattern a few months ago where JL would take back unclaimed F availability on certain days of the week, I guess most days of the week, but there were a couple of days midweek where they would not take the F availability back (Tues, Wednesday, maybe?) even if not claimed. Are you seeing any days mid-week with 8F and F awards available?
Wednesday, 11 December (321 days out) has F seats HND or NRT to JFK (a sector I am interested in), but nothing around those dates.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by minz56
Wednesday, 11 December (321 days out) has F seats HND or NRT to JFK (a sector I am interested in), but nothing around those dates.
Usual crap shoot? As mentioned upthreaf, I cancelled two F DEL-TKO-ORD-PDX-PHX tickets earlier in the month and all of the flights showed up immediately in AS as available.

Flying HKG-HNDZJFK J/F today.

James
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem of JL taking back awards that no one claims was not a problem back in 2015-2016 when I booked them using AA miles prior to the AA devaluation, because I booked all of them right when they were released and AA saw all the seats that BA saw.

But with AS not seeing JL seats for about four days after they are released, and JL grabbing them back after 48-72 hrs, that is a real problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.