Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Is it an IT glitch that often when I book LAX to Asia in F on JAL the LAX-NRT is bookable in F but the connecting NRT to BKK or SGN or HAN etc is often listed as only coach available. But when I search same award space but starting in JFK or ORD the entire trip in available in F first leg and J second leg. I figured out a way around it but was just wondering why those markets seem on AS website at least to make you thin only F/economy and not F/J are available for the 75K mileage award.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by tobikosan
Is it an IT glitch that often when I book LAX to Asia in F on JAL the LAX-NRT is bookable in F but the connecting NRT to BKK or SGN or HAN etc is often listed as only coach available. But when I search same award space but starting in JFK or ORD the entire trip in available in F first leg and J second leg. I figured out a way around it but was just wondering why those markets seem on AS website at least to make you thin only F/economy and not F/J are available for the 75K mileage award.
It may be. AS IT has a lot of glitches. It could be something else. Could you give some specific examples of flights where you see the problem? From JFK it could be that you are connecting in HND instead of NRT and availability is different there.

How are you working around it?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
No-- exact same flight etc on second leg. So I think I initially looked jan 9th or 10th LAX-NRT-HAN, you might recall some inexpensive F fares on Cathay recently ! It would come up mixed cabin with LAX-NRT in F then the 630pm connecting flight to HAN was in economy. OR I could catch AS flight to JFK and book JFK on same days in F to HKG and then connect to the same flight same day same 75K AS miles except now the NRT-HAN 630pm flight was available in J, no problem. Fiddled around and saw this duplicated on other days from ORD also.

The way around it was look for actual J availability on that NRT-HAN flight and then once I was reasonably sure it was widely available I pestered AS agents until they tried and got it done. Took maybe 15 minutes on phone with them.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Except when you cannot. I tried to switch from J to F online and the system gave me an error message and said I needed to call in to do the change. My change was very close in, a little more than a day from departure, so maybe that made a difference? I was able to get it done with agent but that's another story which you can find upthread.
I also got an error message when I tried to change from J to F. This was shortly after booking the J, as in within 10 hours or so. I called and got the F seats that way. There was no change fee as it was within 24 hours of the original booking.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Ok, so, I spoke to another agent today, and he mentioned that he could cancel the old reservation and send me the ticket number. Then I could deposit the ticket, and get the miles + fees (except the $12.50 of course) back after I'm gold, and not pay the fee.

So I got him to do that. The trip disappeared from "my trips" but I didn't get a cancellation email (strange). When I dug up the ticket number from the original confirmation and entered it under "deposit ticket" on the web page, it said that the ticket wasn't available to be canceled online.

I'm hoping that this just sorts itself out and eventually I get an email and I can just redeposit it when I'm gold. At least I have the itinerary that I want ticketed so I'm good to go for my trip in March.

RE: the mystery segment at the end, the agent told me that it's just a "dummy segment" that the computer adds to signify that it's an international award ticket. It reappeared (the agent last night deleted it). They tried deleting it again and it came back up when they pulled the ticket up. So apparently this is just some quirk of how they keep track of international awards internally.

ETA: I got the email (which doesn't say anything about cancellation -- it looks the same as a new reservation conformation email)
But, once I got that, my new reservation was fixed automatically (I can now view it in the app and web page)
Still can't online-cancel/deposit the old ticket. I'm not sure if that's because it's an award ticket, or for some other reason. I can deal with that issue when I make Gold and I'm ready to deposit it and get my miles back!
Just to close the loop on this... my status changed to Gold last night. I tried to re-deposit the ticket online and it still didn't work.

I called today and they did it, but it took a 23 minute phone call. There was some issue with the ticket and it didn't want to redeposit. They finally got it to work, though. The 75k miles are back in my account, and I should have a refund of all the taxes and fees (other than the $12.50 partner booking fee, of course) on the way to my CC now.

This is a nice little trick to avoid change/cancel fees if you are on your way to MVPG but not there yet. Just cancel, keep the ticket numbers, and redeposit when you are Gold. Should work for revenue or award tickets, I think?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Just to close the loop on this... my status changed to Gold last night. I tried to re-deposit the ticket online and it still didn't work.

I called today and they did it, but it took a 23 minute phone call. There was some issue with the ticket and it didn't want to redeposit. They finally got it to work, though. The 75k miles are back in my account, and I should have a refund of all the taxes and fees (other than the $12.50 partner booking fee, of course) on the way to my CC now.

This is a nice little trick to avoid change/cancel fees if you are on your way to MVPG but not there yet. Just cancel, keep the ticket numbers, and redeposit when you are Gold. Should work for revenue or award tickets, I think?
Just because your reflected status now shows Gold, doesn't mean SABRE recognizes this yet. Usually takes a night or two, then the system should allow this automatically ^
williwaw likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was definitely a problem with the ticket though. It wasn't that it was trying to charge me a fee to redeposit; it's that it didn't want to let me redeposit it.

They did a complete identity verification before doing it (full name, dob, mailing address, email address, phone number). There was nothing special about the ticket -- I booked it online with miles from my account, with me as the only passenger. The miles were going back into my account.

In related news, an L class fare that I have booked for July auto-upgraded me to Premium (I got an email). I'm impressed that this happened automatically! It even put me in my favorite premium seat (though I'm sure that that's just luck)
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:51 am

Hi all,

I've been looking at flights YYC-TYO end of Sep/early Oct and I can't seem to find the route that goes through JFK. Does anyone know why that is?
I know for sure that route exists since if I'm searching like say Feburary it pops up and if I search directly for JFK-TYO flights, I can find them in that period (late Sept/early Oct). Is there something I'm unaware of?

Not that I need to go through this route, but I'm just a bit confused as to why this is.

Last edited by minghaol; Jan 9, 2019 at 10:03 am
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: SPG Gold
First Class Award Release Patterns?

Does anyone know if there is a particular pattern for how JL releases first class award space? I’m seeing virtually the entire F cabin empty on certain dates but no award availability. Just wondering how/if they release F space close to departure or a few weeks from departure. Thanks
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Snagged a F award for 75k from ORD-NRT-HKG, the NRT-HKG seg is in econ tho
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGuy10
Does anyone know if there is a particular pattern for how JL releases first class award space? I’m seeing virtually the entire F cabin empty on certain dates but no award availability. Just wondering how/if they release F space close to departure or a few weeks from departure. Thanks
Note that you cannot predict availability based on the number of seats occupied in the cabin. On some flights I was on a couple of people did not reserve seats. Also 2 row 1 window seats are usually blocked. You need to check something like Expert Flyer (EF) to determine exactly what the F load is.

Up until a year ago it used to be very predictable. 2F released at schedule open. The rest not starting until T-14 (maybe T-15).

Now I am not as sure but I have noticed that JL will lock down space on some peak days of the week if not taken early. In the range you are interested in I would say if there are less than 2F booked in the cabin (F7 or F8 available) then space up to 2F total (including already booked space) may be released randomly anytime and you need to watch carefully for it. If 2F or more are already booked (availability F6 or less) then I suspect availability may be released to waitlisted JL program members which used to happen around T-30 but I think now it may happen sooner. I think more than 2 seats in F are not released to partners until T-14 (or maybe T-15) with more seats being released as departure gets closer, possibly releasing up to the last F seat within a day or two of departure.

The caveat to the above patterns is that if someone cancels seats already released as awards those seats most likely will return to inventory and this does happen so if you really want F you need to be regularly monitoring in case someone cancels an existing award and seats get released back into inventory.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
Snagged a F award for 75k from ORD-NRT-HKG, the NRT-HKG seg is in econ tho
Glad you got an F award across the pacific. I've got a very similar route coming up that I'm trying to book. Curious, did you book it online or did you call over the phone? When I try to look online, I see award availability from USA > TKO. Then searching a separate segment from TKO > HKG the calendar view of award search is a bit strange when looking for a J ticket. Almost as if the search doesn't recognize "partner business". Possibly this is why, if, you booked online you were ticketed in E and not J?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:22 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

So, not a noob here, but having trouble nonetheless. Possibly this has been addressed, but I couldn't find the information. I'm looking to make 2 award tickets on JL from USA > TKO > HKG. No stopovers, able to depart from any USA gateway cities, F from USA > TKO and J from TKO to HKG. Is there a glitch in the award search calendar for JL business? The days J awards are available, the calendar days are just blank. Click on those days and then you can see the J award on the individual day. Is this "phantom" space, or is it actually bookable? Also, does this possible glitch prevent me from searching for award availability through my entire preferred itinerary online because the system can't see the J award. Similar to what IWontRegretThis was speaking of, and I replied to a few post back. Would a work around be to call an agent and have them search individual segments and then piece the award together?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tpsmith82
So, not a noob here, but having trouble nonetheless. Possibly this has been addressed, but I couldn't find the information. I'm looking to make 2 award tickets on JL from USA > TKO > HKG. No stopovers, able to depart from any USA gateway cities, F from USA > TKO and J from TKO to HKG. Is there a glitch in the award search calendar for JL business? The days J awards are available, the calendar days are just blank. Click on those days and then you can see the J award on the individual day. Is this "phantom" space, or is it actually bookable? Also, does this possible glitch prevent me from searching for award availability through my entire preferred itinerary online because the system can't see the J award. Similar to what IWontRegretThis was speaking of, and I replied to a few post back. Would a work around be to call an agent and have them search individual segments and then piece the award together?
I always feed segments on awards to TYO (or typically anywhere, I give flight numbers and dates) when I call AS.

Lesotho sounds interesting.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by tpsmith82
Yes, there has been a bug for a while with the AS calendar searching for J space, at least on partners, including JL. You may have to search day by day to see what flights are available in J although I think if you search USA-HKG direct for F you will see combined F/J itineraries.

As far as I can tell the only phantom space you will see for JL is a result of AS not having real-time inventory. They cache JL inventory for up to a few hours at a time but if you find the same space on BA or QF it should be bookable. I like to search on QF because they have a nice calendar view. There is some non-phantom space that some agents will tell you is phantom, but that's another issue.

ETA: You should start searching segment by segment. I see AS is conservative in what connection time they require for JL. From LAX for example AS will not return a LAX-HKG direct but if I plug the flights into multi-city it will handle it.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Jan 14, 2019 at 2:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.