Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Hi All,

A little help here? I want to book TPE-NGO-HNL, with a stopover in NGO. All segments are showing available on the Alaska website. I even checked w/ the BA website, and all segments show available there as well. If I book as two one-ways, availability shows up. When I try to do a multi-city, it fails. I called an agent, and after working with this person for almost an hour getting it manually done, the phone disconnected. UGH. I'm hoping for a call back, but I' not optimistic. Here's a question... if I just book the one-way NGO-HNL flight, can I just get them to add the TPE-NGO flight on when I call? I know they'd have to pull a few more miles / dollars out, but would that be an easier way to get the result I'm looking for? Thanks - advice appreciated...
I've encountered the same problem when looking at JL availability on the AS site, and it's extremely frustrating.

That approach is probably the best. When I booked my CX award for earlier this year, I called at T-330 to secure space on the first leg, then called back in a few days later for the flight home after my stopover. Shouldn't prove to be an issue.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Well, I think I'm about 90% of the way there. Here's an interesting story... I booked one-way HND-NGO-HNL. Then I wanted to add TPE-NRT, which is a legal routing. I was able to "prove" this by searching for a variety of dates, and I was able to get some to price properly on the website. In any case, it wasn't working for the dates I wanted, even though there were seats available on TPE-NRT. I called Alaska. About 30 minutes were spent on explaining the situation, the agent talking to all sorts of different supervisors, etc. Then they needed to call JL to get the space. Then they got the space. That was 20 minutes. Then they needed to get the ticket to price. That was another 20 minutes. Then after 20 more minutes, they said "it's all set, but the international ticketing desk needs to ticket it, and that can take up to three days." I logged into my account and sure enough, my itinerary is in there, and it looks good. However, it's not ticketed. I feel both successful and defeated. I'm successful because I finally got all the things I wanted, and it only took me 90 minutes on the phone... I feel a bit defeated because after 24 hours the ticket isn't ticketed yet, and I don't know how long it will stay held without being ticketed. Should I call AS again? Or just let it go three days? SIIIIIIGGGGHHHH...

I guess they wouldn't call them "award" tickets if they were easy to book.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I'd wait. Sounds like you have a fun trip planned.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by beckoa
I'd wait. Sounds like you have a fun trip planned.
It has been almost 48 hours now. Not ticketed... Think I should call?
{edit: I originally wrote 24, meant 48}
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
It has been almost 48 hours now. Not ticketed... Think I should call?
{edit: I originally wrote 24, meant 48}
I think it is worth a call.

When I had a JL itin waiting for ticketing like this AS told me they would hold it for 3 days IIRC and the hold would expire at midnight (IIRC) on the third day. I think it may have even said when the expiry time was if I attempted to pull up the res (would come up with an error but in there somewhere was the expiry time). Since you are up to two days already I would call in to make sure they either ticket it or extend the hold. Get names and note the time of your call in case they do not come through on their promises.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:06 pm

Hello! I’m trying to plan a trip for late Sept. Going to Tokyo and leaving LAX. So it’s about 330 days out and I check Alaska site to see if award space is there.

- first I search LAX - NRT and see two F spots on 9/26 when searching on calendar view
- however, when I try to modify my current ticket, that award space isn’t there anymore...
- when I search again by exact date and not in calendar view, award space also disappears!
- searched again in calendar view and it shows F space still available and when I click on it, it shows space...
- I call Alaska and they don’t see anything.

Am I searching too early ? A typical glitch? A lag from when space was already bought? I’m going to keep trying every now and see if the space becomes more available on the site. Anyone else experience something similar on Alaska site? I’m getting anxiety!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Winterfell86
Hello! I’m trying to plan a trip for late Sept. Going to Tokyo and leaving LAX. So it’s about 330 days out and I check Alaska site to see if award space is there.

- first I search LAX - NRT and see two F spots on 9/26 when searching on calendar view
- however, when I try to modify my current ticket, that award space isn’t there anymore...
- when I search again by exact date and not in calendar view, award space also disappears!
- searched again in calendar view and it shows F space still available and when I click on it, it shows space...
- I call Alaska and they don’t see anything.

Am I searching too early ? A typical glitch? A lag from when space was already bought? I’m going to keep trying every now and see if the space becomes more available on the site. Anyone else experience something similar on Alaska site? I’m getting anxiety!
My guess is that flight, JL61, since it leaves on 9/26 but doesn't arrive until the 27th is why its not showing up. The 27th would be 331 days out. Try waiting 1 more day??
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Always expect problems with JL when booking at the 331 day window. It seems some partners will not be available exactly at 331. For instance JL is only showing space through 9/22, i bet it has something to do with back when all the ~330 out booking went on hold, so they just pulled them all together from booking.

Seems there is some purposeful withholding going on with some of the partners as well for example QF is only showing though July 10th.

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 1, 2017 at 7:39 am
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:43 am

I didn’t even think about the time difference! That makes sense. Thank you, I’ll wait a few days.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn’t even think about the time difference! That makes sense. Thank you, I’ll wait a few days.
Hopefully it will still be there, Using BA award search JL has 2 seats available to partners on the flight
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Not sure if you saw, but looks like its currently available. Hope you get it booked!!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by tpsmith82
Not sure if you saw, but looks like its currently available. Hope you get it booked!!
I just went on BA's site and it shows it's still available! However, Alaska's site is still not showing it properly and it disappears when not in 'award calendar' mode. Same thing happens when I checked SFO-HND on that date so maybe it's still too early to book... I just cross-checked BA's site with Alaska's site and Alaska's JL availability in all classes disappears starting Monday 9/24 (even though BA shows space). So my hunch is that in three days 9/26 will finally open up to book on Alaska since it seems they are a few days behind. *crosses fingers*
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I just went on BA's site and it shows it's still available! However, Alaska's site is still not showing it properly and it disappears when not in 'award calendar' mode. Same thing happens when I checked SFO-HND on that date so maybe it's still too early to book... I just cross-checked BA's site with Alaska's site and Alaska's JL availability in all classes disappears starting Monday 9/24 (even though BA shows space). So my hunch is that in three days 9/26 will finally open up to book on Alaska since it seems they are a few days behind. *crosses fingers*
JL award availability on AS is pretty much T-325. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...ll-cabins.html starting around post #213

(will flag to mods to merge into that thread)

Last edited by rustykettel; Sep 26, 2018 at 11:33 am Reason: fix T-225 to T-325
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Strange. I remember checking that night and it showed available on Alaska's site on calendar mode and also when you clicked on the day. I can remember when I was searching for my booking with JAL the availability seemed to come and go as well. Not sure why? Hope it shows up for you. Just keep checking back.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
JL award availability on AS is pretty much T-225. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...ll-cabins.html starting around post #213

(will flag to mods to merge into that thread)
Do they go into a pend and reject if you book them? I was seeing them appear a couple days after the window opens up. I see 9/19 w/ F is bookable now on AS site though only Y/J after so ut seems the hold out the F space longer than lower cabins. 9/26 on BA still shows 2 seats but none on AS.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.