Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
You will get two confirmation codes when you book a JL flight. The first is the AS confirmation code and the second is the JAL confirmation code. You need the JAL confirmation code to book seats. You can find the JAL confirmation code both in your confirmation email and your AS reservation online. Go the the JAL website to manage your booking with the JAL confirmation code and you can select seats from there. As mentioned by rustykettel some seats will be blocked until closer to departure. On the 777-300ER to SFO in F they block 1A and 1K until airport check-in. I prefer a window seat in the back of the F cabin, 2A or 2K. You might want to pre-order your meal.
You can also find the JL confirmation in the APP. Select Details on any segment and it will be in the top right under the AS confirmation code.

James In Puerto Vallarta
FT-hss likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone had luck amending JL bookings online to add a leg within the country? For example, I have LAX-NRT booked in F. But I'd like to now add a leg like NRT-KIX (or ITM). When I go online to add it, I successfully get to the page where you click book, and then when I try it says it cannot be booked and I need to call the partner desk. Just curious if it doesn't work because it's not allowed, or if it's yet another Alaska IT issue?

Last edited by ffman999; Mar 19, 2019 at 1:37 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ffman999
Has anyone had luck amending JL bookings online to add a leg within the country? For example, I have LAX-NRT booked in F. But I'd like to now add a leg like NRT-KIX (or ITM). When I go online to add it, I successfully get to the page where you click book, and then when I try it says it cannot be booked and I need to call the partner desk. Just curious if it doesn't work because it's now allowed, or if it's yet another Alaska IT issue?
Have not attempted online, but it was quickly added to two separate tickets when calling the Gold line (without fees). I have become less and less reluctant to call versus trying online because sometimes magic things happen when you call! I have yet to see magic via the AS website...
tobikosan likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Done Thanks! I booked 2A in F on NRT/LAX. But for DEL/NRT all J front cabin window seats are blocked. All over the wing cabin in the back are open. I selected middle 3G in the front. Hoping they will let me change to window in that section if flight is not full? Not sure if there is any other way to get the window. What are the advantages of pre-ordering meal? I like to try new stuff (fish only), no meat. If I pre-order do I have to stick to that and cannot sample an item or two outside of my pre-order?

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
You will get two confirmation codes when you book a JL flight. The first is the AS confirmation code and the second is the JAL confirmation code. You need the JAL confirmation code to book seats. You can find the JAL confirmation code both in your confirmation email and your AS reservation online. Go the the JAL website to manage your booking with the JAL confirmation code and you can select seats from there. As mentioned by rustykettel some seats will be blocked until closer to departure. On the 777-300ER to SFO in F they block 1A and 1K until airport check-in. I prefer a window seat in the back of the F cabin, 2A or 2K. You might want to pre-order your meal.
tobikosan likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Also FYI that when I dropped the AA outbound dummy leg LAX-TYO, I was charged another 12:50 partner award change fee. They said this is standard and they wont remove it. So I paid 12.50 * 2 originally when I booked and another 12.50 when I dropped the outbound.. oh well I guess you cant get everything. I am happy with my J+F booking (with a stopover) inbound though!

Originally Posted by FT-hss
Done Thanks! I booked 2A in F on NRT/LAX. But for DEL/NRT all J front cabin window seats are blocked. All over the wing cabin in the back are open. I selected middle 3G in the front. Hoping they will let me change to window in that section if flight is not full? Not sure if there is any other way to get the window. What are the advantages of pre-ordering meal? I like to try new stuff (fish only), no meat. If I pre-order do I have to stick to that and cannot sample an item or two outside of my pre-order?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Also FYI that when I dropped the AA outbound dummy leg LAX-TYO, I was charged another 12:50 partner award change fee. They said this is standard and they wont remove it. So I paid 12.50 * 2 originally when I booked and another 12.50 when I dropped the outbound.. oh well I guess you cant get everything. I am happy with my J+F booking (with a stopover) inbound though!
I did not realize the partner booking fee was per direction, but I just checked and it is per direction on a new booking. You get a free change within 24 hours so there should have been no extra $12.50 fee for a change within 24 hours. Did you wait beyond 24 hours to make the change? I am with you though, I would still be happy with paying the extra $12.50*2 fees to lock in the award.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
JL/OW status for windows in advance. If any are open, I believe you can select those around when OLCI opens up and certainly at the airport.

For First Class preorders? A little more certainty that you'll get it, but I wouldn't stress over that. Absolutely can mix and match or pass on certain items/courses. Just talk with your Cabin Attendant. I asked for the caviar with the Japanese meal, a katsu sandwich, Yamazaki, and ice cream (the last three were J menu items on those flights) on my last trip and no issues. It is truly a First Class product with inflight service up to that standard.
FT-hss and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In F on JL, many of the menu items from both the Japanese and Western dinners are on the a la carte menu. So, mixing and matching is easy. On my last flight I got the set Japanese menu for dinner and then a few a la carte items throughout the flight. Everything was amazing.

Also, it's F on JL... they will bring you whatever you want with a smile.

FWIW, on my NRT-BKK flight (no F cabin, so I was in J) the food was just as good as in F; the presentation was not as fancy (although still nice, and honestly I don't care) but the main difference was the selection. The set Japanese meal was great (similar quality to F on JL1) but the only a la carte options were noodles and a cheese plate.

As an aside, in F they have this "Queen of Blue" cold tea that is bottled in wine bottles and more expensive than most wines. If you like tea at all I highly recommend it. Japan has the best cold teas in the world, and this brand is probably the best in Japan (although the queen of blue is not the top of the line for this brand, it's still quite good)
FT-hss and rustykettel like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:30 pm

I loved that cold tea
​. Of all the Fs I have found JL to be the best catered, and my favourite by far. Oh for that sake ahain!
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:53 am

Qantas and Alaska showing different availability

Hi all,

Will the availability of JL flight be any different when calling vs looking online. When I was searching on a date, I saw availability on Qantas but none on Alaska.

Thanks
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by newbie2008
Hi all,

Will the availability of JL flight be any different when calling vs looking online. When I was searching on a date, I saw availability on Qantas but none on Alaska.

Thanks
The availability calling should match AS's website. It could be different if searching a partner site like QF. Here is one example: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30910889-post894.html
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I'm headed to CAI in April and if I fly JAL on F award ticket what destination is closest or cheapest to then go on to CAI? I don;t have much stopover time so really wodering what gets me closets to CAI $ or distance wise. THX

Is LAX-TKO-DXB bookable as one mileage ticket on JAL metal AS miles?

Last edited by tobikosan; Mar 22, 2019 at 5:47 pm
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tobikosan
I'm headed to CAI in April and if I fly JAL on F award ticket what destination is closest or cheapest to then go on to CAI? I don;t have much stopover time so really wodering what gets me closets to CAI $ or distance wise. THX

Is LAX-TKO-DXB bookable as one mileage ticket on JAL metal AS miles?
DXB shouldn’t be bookable because JAL is “Asia and India”. No award chart for ME, AU/NZ, Europe, etc.

I would book DEL I guess.

Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

DXB shouldn’t be bookable because JAL is “Asia and India”. No award chart for ME, AU/NZ, Europe, etc.

I would book DEL I guess.

Thx. I guess I'll do CX instead. DXB super available from HKG and TLV pretty good too. Thanks for the answer,

Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I know that AS caches JAL availability, so I'm not sure if this is a result of that or something different.

I'm looking for TYO - PVG on 2/19/2020, which is within the 330 window. I'm noticing goose eggs on the AS website for biz/economy, but plenty of availability for both on BAs website. Curious when I should (if ever) expect these to hit AS? I'm trying to burn through my MP stash instead of transferring over MRs to BA to book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.