Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
LOL! Sure does sound interesting...but guess I was just shortening Tokyo rather than typing out HND or NRT. Makes no difference which one I fly to.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tpsmith82
LOL! Sure does sound interesting...but guess I was just shortening Tokyo rather than typing out HND or NRT. Makes no difference which one I fly to.
TYO is the IATA code for Tokyo. Searching for it using the AS award engine will show both NRT and HND flights. I don't know if the calendar handles TYO as opposed to NRT or HND (as I recall it doesn't).
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone had any luck ordering special meals in F on JL? My wife is allergic to seafood (but not most fish). I’ve noticed a lot of the menus are quite diverse in types of food, so I’d like to do a special meal but also hope the quality is still good.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ffman999
Has anyone had any luck ordering special meals in F on JL? My wife is allergic to seafood (but not most fish). I’ve noticed a lot of the menus are quite diverse in types of food, so I’d like to do a special meal but also hope the quality is still good.
I couldn't find a way to do it online in December for my wife (gluten). On the plane though, the FAs made it seem like there is definitely a way to order special meals. IIRC they said to call in if the website doesn't have the option to select a special meal.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DrAlex
I couldn't find a way to do it online in December for my wife (gluten). On the plane though, the FAs made it seem like there is definitely a way to order special meals. IIRC they said to call in if the website doesn't have the option to select a special meal.
I booked about 6 months ago for a friend of mine and had to call JAL directly for that. It was booked through AA, but not even AA could successfully store it.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by DrAlex
I did this last week.

Secured a tasty Japanese meal for today's flight JL9

Apparently the regional flights were not able to be reserved however. As they called me back apologizing for not keeping my request HND-SIN.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Glad you got an F award across the pacific. I've got a very similar route coming up that I'm trying to book. Curious, did you book it online or did you call over the phone? When I try to look online, I see award availability from USA > TKO. Then searching a separate segment from TKO > HKG the calendar view of award search is a bit strange when looking for a J ticket. Almost as if the search doesn't recognize "partner business". Possibly this is why, if, you booked online you were ticketed in E and not J?
Booked online. Weird as well, couldnt see any space in any cabin online for TYO-HKG, but ORD-TYO-HKG was no issue.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
Snagged a F award for 75k from ORD-NRT-HKG, the NRT-HKG seg is in econ tho
If your NRT-HKG segment opens up in J you should be able to switch to J on that leg for no extra fee (other than difference in taxes). I had a Y-J mixed itin and when J opened up on the Y leg AS switched me to all J for difference in tax only. Agent said this is their policy. If you are already ticketed in a higher class cabin you can switch lower class segments up in class for free if space becomes available. Note, this is not the same as upgrading from all Y to J or F which would be a chargeable change if you do not have an elite fee waiver.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
If your NRT-HKG segment opens up in J you should be able to switch to J on that leg for no extra fee (other than difference in taxes). I had a Y-J mixed itin and when J opened up on the Y leg AS switched me to all J for difference in tax only. Agent said this is their policy. If you are already ticketed in a higher class cabin you can switch lower class segments up in class for free if space becomes available. Note, this is not the same as upgrading from all Y to J or F which would be a chargeable change if you do not have an elite fee waiver.
Very interesting! So on a mixed class itinerary they'll waive the $125 change fee to create an all same class of service. I imagine this is an unpublished rule and YMMV.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
I have been checking ord-nrt-hkg and just nrt-hkg for the 18th and 19th respectivly, both on AS and Ba sites, nothing has changed yet. Hoping for a 12th hour hail mary change, but will take my 12hrs in F and flagship lounge before hand and "suffer" in Y to HK if I have to lol.

I did manage to grab a F seat on UA's old GF 772 on the way back also via narita, so technically I will at least have a "F seat" for borh TPACs this RT lol.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Very interesting! So on a mixed class itinerary they'll waive the $125 change fee to create an all same class of service. I imagine this is an unpublished rule and YMMV.
I haven't found any reference to it on the AS site at all, so yeah, that appears to be the case. Happened for me just in November.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I found CX J space on Jan 24th to the West coast but the timing didn't work. I was, however, able to book a JL J/F award today HKG-PVR with a 2 month stopover domestically with onward travel (2 segments) in Saver A on the longer route, W on the shorter. Premium Seat selected and waitlisted for F.

James
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: UA, AS
Yes. I paid no change fee to do this on a JL itin. I do not know if it is published but the agent who did it for me did it without me asking and said it was AS policy. I was prepared to pay a change fee but the agent said it did not apply per their policy.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Yes. I paid no change fee to do this on a JL itin. I do not know if it is published but the agent who did it for me did it without me asking and said it was AS policy. I was prepared to pay a change fee but the agent said it did not apply per their policy.
You’ve already paid for the J seat; you’re not actually making a change, rather just waiting for availability in your cabin you already paid for.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
my first try at booking JL F with AS miles .... AS calendar seems to be one day behind JL award release calendar. But even then, the space seen by AS is seriously off compared to what BA and JL searches show (calling doesn't help, the agents seem to see exactly what AS search engine sees). AS sees NOTHING when there's 2 J seats available.

I've booked JL F and CX F with AA miles, and CX F with AS miles, they always saw what BA and JL search sees. Never had this kind of availability difference before.

Do others have similar experience?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.