Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Looks like an AS block.
Considering I'm having trouble on the AA site finding US-Japan JL availability that was very recently showing on the AS site, um, no, it doesn't look like an AS block.
Old May 1, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by jinglish
Considering I'm having trouble on the AA site finding US-Japan JL availability that was very recently showing on the AS site, um, no, it doesn't look like an AS block.
The AA website never shows JL availability does it? This has no bearing on AS availability.

I see quite a bit of availability US-Japan on the BA site but none on the AS site. Looks like a block to me.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
The AA website never shows JL availability does it? This has no bearing on AS availability.

I see quite a bit of availability US-Japan on the BA site but none on the AS site. Looks like a block to me.
Mea culpa! I checked with BA, and the Y availability I was seeing on a specific flight is there.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:19 pm

Thumbs down

Is the alaskaair website broken? As of this morning it is not showing me any JL space. None that I can find on any date I have tried for a couple of different routes.
i have been watching very closely the last few weeks as I am in the midst of a booking. As of today (May 1) seems like a lot (if not all) availability from North American to Japan is gone and no longer appearing on the AS website. Flights I have watched for weeks have disappeared.

Still seeing some Intra-Asia availability.

Wonder whats up?
Old May 1, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
same here, alaska not showing any US-Japan availability at all. despite BA's website showing lots of availability
Old May 1, 2018, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by jason_stn21

i have been watching very closely the last few weeks as I am in the midst of a booking. As of today (May 1) seems like a lot (if not all) availability from North American to Japan is gone and no longer appearing on the AS website. Flights I have watched for weeks have disappeared.

Still seeing some Intra-Asia availability.

Wonder whats up?
So do I. I have a JL booking that I am looking to upgrade soon. Hopefully the website block on USA awards is is a glitch and is fixed soon. As a last resort I hope that agents are still able to book the space when calling in.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:56 pm

Just double checking, is doing SFO-HND/stopover/NRT-BKK valid for a single award? Currently have a SFO-HND/stopover/HND-BKK award but wanted to change to the NRT-BKK. Agent could see availability just fine like BA search but her and the supervisor said it wouldn't let them do the change because I'm flying in and out of two different airports.

Going to HUACA tomorrow but just wanted to double check here first.
Old May 1, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by reverted
Just double checking, is doing SFO-HND/stopover/NRT-BKK valid for a single award? Currently have a SFO-HND/stopover/HND-BKK award but wanted to change to the NRT-BKK. Agent could see availability just fine like BA search but her and the supervisor said it wouldn't let them do the change because I'm flying in and out of two different airports.

Going to HUACA tomorrow but just wanted to double check here first.
Yes, HND and NRT are allowed co-terminals under TYO, provided the minimum connect time is met. If you can find the space (due to the problems above), you should be able to recreate it yourself in a dummy booking even if it's a Y award. If it doesn't show AAA-HND/NRT-DDD, use multicity and it should show up.
Old May 1, 2018, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel

Yes, HND and NRT are allowed co-terminals under TYO, provided the minimum connect time is met. If you can find the space (due to the problems above), you should be able to recreate it yourself in a dummy booking even if it's a Y award. If it doesn't show AAA-HND/NRT-DDD, use multicity and it should show up.
Perfect. Thank you. That was my understanding of them being co-terminals as well. I will have to call again and hope for the best..
Old May 1, 2018, 9:22 pm

Uh oh!

So do I. I have a JL booking that I am looking to upgrade soon. Hopefully the website block on USA awards is is a glitch and is fixed soon. As a last resort I hope that agents are still able to book the space when calling in.
Just called in and agent didn’t know why nothing is being shown. Managed to get a great agent who helped me thru another issue with ease. Had him check availability and could not see anything. Said he tried a few different ways. Seemed to know his stuff.

Coincidental - May 1st and everything ex-N/A is gone? I am hoping it’s just a glitch! I am halfway thru a booking with a mix of Biz and Economy for 3 people.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:17 pm

I was looking as well because I am about to do a nights and flights package and wanted to make sure it was worth putting my miles into Alaska and was disappointed in the complete lack of JAL awards
Old May 3, 2018, 12:21 am

If you are considering transferring miles to AS or purchasing miles from AS for the purpose of booking US JAL awards you should hold off until they restore the ability to search and book JAL awards otherwise you will be very disappointed.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Use of business class lounges depends on cabin of departure flight, and also OW status. If you use CX J to Taipei, then of course you can use the Pier Lounge business class section.
But, I suggest you instead save your miles and fly JFK-Tokyo-Taipei (TSA or TPE) on JAL on one Alaska award.
Alternatively, I suggest you fly JFK/EWR-HKG-Taipei (TPE) on Cathay on one Alaska award.
You could even stretch it and utilize the Cathay HKG-TPE-NRT flight, and actually book
JFK/EWR-HKG (transit HKG <24 hours)-TPE (layover in Taiwan of a few days/weeks/months) - NRT(destination)
all on Cathay on one Alaska award.
e.g.
CX 841 JFK 10:00 HKG 14:00 +1 --->CX 430 HKG 13:35 +2 TPE 15:35 +2 (23hrs 23 minute transit in HKG)
after a long layover of days/weeks/months
either CX 450 TPE 13:00 NRT 17:20 or CX 522 TPE 16:15 NRT 20:35

Keep hunting for the first class award space, especially JFK/EWR-HKG.

====
If you insist on stopping in both Tokyo and Hong Kong ( >24 hours), then you will need separate awards, since you cannot mix two Alaska partners (JAL and Cathay).
BA Avios are very useful for this short flight (CX J to Taipei). But, you have to book early since BA blocks last minute Cathay award bookings.
There are actually 5 Cathay business lounges in HKG, so you can do a lounge tour! (I did it last February, a glass of Moet champagne in all business class lounges) The Wing, Pier, Bridge, Cabin, and the new Deck, plus the Qantas lounge (nothing positive about the Qantas lounge)

Thank you so much for your input.
I have no status with OW. I thought I can use the F lounges in HKG if arriving on F and departing in J (or anything in OneWorld). Last year I flew HND-HKG in CX F, and then onwards to Dubai DXB in J, and I was able to enjoy the Pier and the Wing First. Please correct me if I am wrong lol. And yes, I am using Avios to book CX to Taipei for 9000. Bangkok was the same too.

The Cabin is closed btw after they opened The Deck. I've been to all the lounges you listed except the newly opened The Deck and the Qantas Lounge. Been to Pier Business and Bridge 10x times but only been to the F lounges twice. So my focus will be on the Wing and Pier this time.
Old May 11, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by cce5858
Thank you so much for your input.
I have no status with OW. I thought I can use the F lounges in HKG if arriving on F and departing in J (or anything in OneWorld). Last year I flew HND-HKG in CX F, and then onwards to Dubai DXB in J, and I was able to enjoy the Pier and the Wing First. Please correct me if I am wrong lol. And yes, I am using Avios to book CX to Taipei for 9000. Bangkok was the same too.

The Cabin is closed btw after they opened The Deck. I've been to all the lounges you listed except the newly opened The Deck and the Qantas Lounge. Been to Pier Business and Bridge 10x times but only been to the F lounges twice. So my focus will be on the Wing and Pier this time.
I'm not sure if other one world carrier would work or not, maybe it will? . I'm looking at side trip out of HKG on Cathay Dragon even though it doesn't earn AS points due to the F lounge access on my 13 hour connect. I've been to HKG many times so may or may not leave the airport
Old May 12, 2018, 1:22 pm

AS, JL rewards newbie seeking assistance please (and I apologize in advance for not knowing codes, etc): I've been collecting AS miles in hopes of ultimately using them to fly JL business class to Tokyo. However, it seems no matter what dates I enter (at this point more for research), I can't find any business award availability. Those I do find are "mixed class", with the domestic portion in business, and the international portion in economy.

And why is it that if I want to travel from LAX, it has me connecting first to ORD or DFW, so then if I search leaving from ORD or DFW, it has me connecting, say, to LAX (again, in mixed classes)?? Very confused.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.