Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 10, 20, 12:50 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki Link
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000


International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN


Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 21, 19, 11:31 pm
  #1261  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: EUG
Programs: BonVoy Pt, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Posts: 5,096
Originally Posted by tobikosan View Post
If you have one business and one first booking can the 1st class bring the biz class into the JAL lounges?
Yes, First Class passengers can invite one guest into the First lounge with them.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi...ber/class.html
tobikosan likes this.
rustykettel is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:56 am
  #1262  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 186
Watching some dates for PDX - Tokyo awards. It looks like Saturday night Alaska did a mass schedule /flight # change that wiped out all the AS connecting flights to gateway cities for JAL awards from July on. AS says that JAL needs to make the new routings with AS connections available and they can't book them even if the AS flights are available to be booked separately. Anyone know how long it usually takes for JAL to catch up and make those routes available again?
Asquared1 is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 8:03 am
  #1263  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SAN, BOS
Programs: AS MVPG, BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Posts: 1,125
Originally Posted by Asquared1 View Post
Watching some dates for PDX - Tokyo awards. It looks like Saturday night Alaska did a mass schedule /flight # change that wiped out all the AS connecting flights to gateway cities for JAL awards from July on. AS says that JAL needs to make the new routings with AS connections available and they can't book them even if the AS flights are available to be booked separately. Anyone know how long it usually takes for JAL to catch up and make those routes available again?
Itís in JALís best interest to do it ASAP for customers wanting to pay cash rates on those routes, but Iíd reserve the long haul flight when available and worry about the connecting flights later
TravelingZoomer is online now  
Old Dec 23, 19, 10:00 am
  #1264  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 186
Originally Posted by verbyournoun View Post
Itís in JALís best interest to do it ASAP for customers wanting to pay cash rates on those routes, but Iíd reserve the long haul flight when available and worry about the connecting flights later
The AS connections are available to revenue customers on JAL web site.
Asquared1 is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 12:25 pm
  #1265  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 18,518
Originally Posted by Asquared1 View Post
Watching some dates for PDX - Tokyo awards. It looks like Saturday night Alaska did a mass schedule /flight # change that wiped out all the AS connecting flights to gateway cities for JAL awards from July on. AS says that JAL needs to make the new routings with AS connections available and they can't book them even if the AS flights are available to be booked separately. Anyone know how long it usually takes for JAL to catch up and make those routes available again?
Your AS CS rep is unsurprisingly clueless and wrong. The AS schedule update wiped out saver availability and low fare buckets (which are related); partner awards must pair with AS saver availability to the JL gateway. You’re going to have to wait for AS to add availability in those buckets. JL has nothing to do with that.

No Saver Awards, upgrade space, or discount coach in all markets after 5/21
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Dec 23, 19, 12:28 pm
  #1266  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 186
Above post beat me to the new info I was posting here

Last edited by Asquared1; Dec 23, 19 at 12:35 pm
Asquared1 is offline  
Old Dec 24, 19, 10:01 am
  #1267  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 186
Looks like it's fixed.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Asquared1 is offline  
Old Dec 25, 19, 10:19 pm
  #1268  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SFO, PVG
Programs: OZ Diamond, Hilton D, Marriott Plat
Posts: 13
Before I could see tons of F/J awards TYO-SFO/LAX within two weeks of departure, if there are unsold seats. Recently I almost couldn't find any F/J for the first two weeks of 2020...EF shows quite a few seats...A bit weird...
AzureCao is offline  
Old Dec 25, 19, 11:20 pm
  #1269  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 186
Originally Posted by AzureCao View Post
Before I could see tons of F/J awards TYO-SFO/LAX within two weeks of departure, if there are unsold seats. Recently I almost couldn't find any F/J for the first two weeks of 2020...EF shows quite a few seats...A bit weird...
I've been looking at a lot of fall dates and noticed the same thing
Asquared1 is offline  
Old Dec 28, 19, 9:19 pm
  #1270  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by Asquared1 View Post
I've been looking at a lot of fall dates and noticed the same thing
I've been looking for F between TYO and JFK all the way to Nov 2020 but only found 1 or 2 days with availability. Is this normal?
gisanim is offline  
Old Dec 28, 19, 11:21 pm
  #1271  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: NZ
Posts: 999
Originally Posted by gisanim View Post
I've been looking for F between TYO and JFK all the way to Nov 2020 but only found 1 or 2 days with availability. Is this normal?
Yes, I would say this is normal. The small number of F award seats that JL releases are snapped up very quickly. Your best bet is towards the end of schedule for AS (330 days) or close in (there is availability on a few days during the first couple weeks of January).
minz56 is offline  
Old Dec 30, 19, 1:44 am
  #1272  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,552
I'm generally allergic to flying economy on long haul flights, but has anyone tried the new JL economy product with 19 inch wide seats (8 across 2-4-2) and 34 inch pitch? I think they have them on the 767s, which they use for SEA-NRT if I'm not mistaken.

This sounds like it has the dimensions (though not the recline or comfort) of a PE product. It might even cure my allergy 😁 Using miles for an economy redemption seems blasphemous, but... maybe?
VegasGambler is offline  
Old Dec 30, 19, 2:02 am
  #1273  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 3,250
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
I'm generally allergic to flying economy on long haul flights, but has anyone tried the new JL economy product with 19 inch wide seats (8 across 2-4-2) and 34 inch pitch? I think they have them on the 767s, which they use for SEA-NRT if I'm not mistaken.

This sounds like it has the dimensions (though not the recline or comfort) of a PE product. It might even cure my allergy 😁 Using miles for an economy redemption seems blasphemous, but... maybe?
Still blasphemous. The miles game will continue to deteriorate before our eyes over the coming years so enjoy J/F while you can.
Sandeep1 is offline  
Old Dec 30, 19, 3:15 am
  #1274  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 12,619
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
I'm generally allergic to flying economy on long haul flights, but has anyone tried the new JL economy product with 19 inch wide seats (8 across 2-4-2) and 34 inch pitch? I think they have them on the 767s, which they use for SEA-NRT if I'm not mistaken.

This sounds like it has the dimensions (though not the recline or comfort) of a PE product. It might even cure my allergy 😁 Using miles for an economy redemption seems blasphemous, but... maybe?
The Sky Wider and Sky Wider II seats in JL Y are without a doubt the most spacious and comfortable Y seats around. They are installed on the long haul configured 767, 787-8, all 787-9, the refurbished 777-200ER, and the 77W.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Dec 30, 19, 12:59 pm
  #1275  
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,424
Please continue the discussion in the current thread:

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2020 and Later
dayone is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: