FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1807279-definitive-booking-japan-airlines-jl-using-miles-thread-2019-earlier.html)

eponymous_coward Nov 28, 2019 3:49 pm

If you booked F NRT-LAX it’s going to turn into HND-LAX, read upthread. So that’s a free change...

rustykettel Nov 28, 2019 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by leland (Post 31785873)
  1. Both itineraries are on "Hold" but I'm able to select seats so safe to assume no issue? Or should I be calling AS?
  2. In terms of booking a new itinerary, am I able to book a conflicting itinerary? Or will JAL do something undesirable like not allow the booking and cancel out my existing ticket (in Hold status)? I have enough points to book a few duplicates/options and then cancel the unneeded ones, but I'm unclear on the best way to avoid problems. Would appreciate very prescriptive advice here on the best process to follow to avoid issues, e.g. should I book my duplicate online then call to cancel the other, call to arrange a switch, other sites to check, etc. Again, what I really want to avoid is the scenario where I have to cancel out my flight first then book the second only to fail due to phantom availability, seat sniping, etc.
  3. Would it be the same process to follow if something changes like F opening on SFO-HND on the same dates I'm flying versus changing dates or does the "edit" process have some variance?
  4. The real dilemma... and likely O/T :) Would you (or have you) traded an extra day of vacation with the S/O for a bucket list seat in F? My return takes me away from vacation a day earlier than desired, but in a bucket list F seat. I could match my partners TPAC flight (but not connections), but I'd be in J. Either way I'm in trouble as my partner paid cash for Y, but I'd be riding upfront. The alternative is that I don't change and I bail early to ride in F. And yeah, I suppose haven't really considered Y an option for me :rolleyes: If anyone has prescriptive advice on this one I'm all ears :D

Thanks for helping me navigate JAL award booking!

1. See several above. Should be fine and part of the known issues, but can always call JL and confirm that they see the status of your ticket correctly.

2/3. Easiest is just change your reservation online, both for routing or cabin changes. Since you're 75K, there's no change fee and you won't have to pay additional partner fees nor any danger of cancelling duplicate bookings. If there's phantom space, I don't think it will confirm and replace your flight.

If for some reason it won't confirm, just call in. I couldn't change one leg from J to F on a booking and the phone agent had to get a partner agent involved to do it. They ended up booking a brand new ticket for that leg, and refunded the old leg entirely. Luckily I had the miles in my account to cover the second ticket so made it easier.

Also keep in mind there are limits to the number of changes you can make to a ticket before it requires manual intervention. Best is to figure out what itinerary you want and make the change to that one.

4. Is your S/O ok with it? Or would they prefer to fly together? Keep in mind that in J without OWE/OWS status, you can't bring in a guest to the lounge unlike F.

If they're ok with it and you're ok with losing a day in Japan, I'd totally go for JAL First at least once.

leland Nov 29, 2019 6:25 pm

Thanks rustykettel . For #2 sounds good - I haven't had luck with online changes involving partners but will try to see what works. Really good to know about the limit of changes. I was not aware of that. On #4 that's an issue for a different kind of professional or internet forum :D I think safe to say the S/O's preference would be that I didn't enjoy premium cabins and flying on miles, and very much that I should prioritize more time away. But since the S/O's return itinerary is not great for me work-wise not exactly a fair scale there.

VaguelyAsian Dec 1, 2019 9:12 pm

I searched the wiki and boards before posting but haven't been able to find a definitive answer regarding JAL partner valid routing. Y availability to/from Japan has all but dried up during the Olympics but I was able to find a ticket from SEA-NGO transiting HND and TPE. The online booking tool only allows these three connections so I called it in for assistance to add-on two more segments. I was told international partner awards are only allowed three segments and that the stopover would only be valid from HND and NGO since I would first enter the country at HND. I couldn't find mention of this anywhere, can someone point me to T&Cs or other data points regarding routing?

Confirmed ticket:
Thursday, July 30, 2020 JL67 SEA 2:15 PM NRT 4:15 PM
Friday, July 31, 2020 JL809 NRT 6:00 PM TPE 8:55 PM
Saturday, August 1, 2020 JL822 TPE 3:40 PM NGO 7:35 PM

Desired add-on:
Monday, August 3, 2020 JL200 NGO 7:50 AM HND 8:50 AM
Monday, August 3, 2020 JL557 HND 5:50 PM AKJ 7:30 PM

PVDtoDEL Dec 2, 2019 12:23 am

I don't think you're going to get a different answer on this one. I've never seen an itinerary which stopped in TYO twice before reaching the destination - that's a whole new level of backtracking...

berlindave Dec 4, 2019 3:00 am

Hi All, looking for some feedback on how to formulate a strategy on the following. Want to fly TXL-LHR-HAN 10/27/20 returning 11/7/20 - flexible on those dates. I booked the TXL-LHR on BA with miles so all set. The EXP agent told me booking JAL award in U/Z is a freaky affair with no rhyme or reason about it. Reading through the past couple years of this thread feels like it confirms that - but most of the intel is booking on JAL to Asia from the US. Since I am coming from LHR does anyone have a position on how to best approach doing this? I know I am starting very early...

TravelingZoomer Dec 4, 2019 3:03 am

The reason all the intel in the sub is Asia to or from USA is because AS does not sell award tickets on JAL to Europe.

If you’re dead set on AS miles, look into CX avail

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

berlindave Dec 4, 2019 3:05 am

Oh schei**e. Thank you. I didn't realise there would never be inventory there. I guess it's BA or CX. Ugh. Surcharge central.

Flying for Fun Dec 4, 2019 7:12 am

Originally Posted by berlindave (Post 31803146)
Oh schei**e. Thank you. I didn't realise there would never be inventory there. I guess it's BA or CX. Ugh. Surcharge central.

Look at the Alaska award charts here. If you enter Asia to Europe you will see you have 3 options. CX, SQ & AY.

BA is not an option and CX is from HKG only. One additional piece of crucial information is that AS awards only allow one partner with or without AS flights so you can't mix partners on one award.

From HND you could book seperate awards on CX. One to HKG and one to Europe. Since CX doesn't fly to TXL you would need to fly somewhere close and purchase a revenue ticket from the CX European gateway to TXL.

SQ is similar. You can book from North Asia to Europe via SIN as one award (if you have a huge stach of MP miles) but SQ also doesn't fly to TXL. You would need to fly to a close by SQ European gateway and find your own way to TXL. Scoot does fly non-stop from SIN to TXL but can't be booked with AS.

AY is your only true option as you can book, as one award, NRT-HEL-TXL if you can find space.

James

berlindave Dec 4, 2019 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 31803713)
Look at the Alaska award charts here. If you enter Asia to Europe you will see you have 3 options. CX, SQ & AY.

BA is not an option and CX is from HKG only. One additional piece of crucial information is that AS awards only allow one partner with or without AS flights so you can't mix partners on one award.

From HND you could book seperate awards on CX. One to HKG and one to Europe. Since CX doesn't fly to TXL you would need to fly somewhere close and purchase a revenue ticket from the CX European gateway to TXL.

SQ is similar. You can book from North Asia to Europe via SIN as one award (if you have a huge stach of MP miles) but SQ also doesn't fly to TXL. You would need to fly to a close by SQ European gateway and find your own way to TXL. Scoot does fly non-stop from SIN to TXL but can't be booked with AS.

AY is your only true option as you can book, as one award, NRT-HEL-TXL if you can find space.

James

i admit I could be crazy but using AA miles prohibits me from accessing BA?

Flying for Fun Dec 4, 2019 7:25 am

Originally Posted by berlindave (Post 31803724)
i admit I could be crazy but using AA miles prohibits me from accessing BA?

Using AA miles? This is the Alaska Airlines AS thread for redemptions using AS Mileage Plan miles. Are you referring to AA as Alaska Airlines? AA is the airline code for American Airlines. If you are redeeming American Airlines (AA) AAdvantage miles, you are in the wrong thread. You would need to ask your questions in the American Airlines forum.

James

berlindave Dec 4, 2019 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 31803758)
Using AA miles? This is the Alaska Airlines AS thread for redemptions using AS Mileage Plan miles. Are you referring to AA as Alaska Airlines? AA is the airline code for American Airlines. If you are redeeming American Airlines (AA) AAdvantage miles you are in the wrong thread. You would need to ask your questions in the American Airlines forum.

James

i am an idiot. Sorry all.

brentyb Dec 4, 2019 9:33 am

We have our first international first class experience coming up this weekend. Any tips or pointers to getting the most out of the experience?

How does the turn down service work? Do they come and ask you if you are ready to sleep, or do you page them to make the bed?

rustykettel Dec 4, 2019 10:54 am

Originally Posted by brentyb (Post 31804255)
We have our first international first class experience coming up this weekend. Any tips or pointers to getting the most out of the experience?

How does the turn down service work? Do they come and ask you if you are ready to sleep, or do you page them to make the bed?

I'd browse through the JL forum, look at the service pages on JL's website including the menus. Here's a nice overview for a first time

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japa...xperience.html

You've got OneWorld First Class, so don't forget you can lounge hop prior to your flight depending on where you're going to/from.

I think the biggest point is that the service is driven by what you want to do. If you don't want to eat or you want to eat your meal later or snack the entire time, it's up to you. The cabin attendants see their role as providing that service, and trying to anticipate needs, not sticking to a set schedule. Same with sleep service. If you use the lav after the first meal, they might ask if you'd like to have your bed made. If they don't or you're not ready, just ask (either walking by or ring) when you are.

eponymous_coward Dec 4, 2019 11:40 am

Originally Posted by brentyb (Post 31804255)

Personally I like Japanese food (though it's pitched differently in flavor that Western palate) so I'd be having kaiseki and sake pairings on the plane.

The lounge experience largely depends on where you're flying out of: LAX has better lounge options (QF F, OW J, AA Flagship) than SFO (JL's lounge there is not very good, probably try BA's lounge, not familiar with lounge options for ORD or JFK).