FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1807279-definitive-booking-japan-airlines-jl-using-miles-thread-2019-earlier.html)

Sandeep1 Nov 25, 2019 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by verbyournoun (Post 31777320)
JL releases rewards very indiscriminately. They may never release your specific day to ORD but odds are they’ll release one to any NA gateway.

So it’s not “safe” but it’s more likely than not I’d say. They seem to have the most avail HND - SFO

Thanks, I'll check that. I don't mind connections on the way to my destination but coming home I really prefer for a straight shot to my home city.

eponymous_coward Nov 25, 2019 11:08 pm

To follow up on a previous post, they are indeed rolling AS F awards from JL 61/62 (LAX-NRT-LAX) to JL 15/16 (LAX-HND-LAX). Also, space is open for booking.

jongesander Nov 27, 2019 2:32 am

Last week I've booked a JAL award ticket using AS miles. Booked JFK-NRT-CGK. The former in F, the latter in J. It looks like the've pulled all NRT flights in F, so they rescheduled me to JFK-HND; NRT-CGK.

Usually I would be totally fine with this, although I don't like flights who departs after midnight (they've rebooked me on JL3, leaving 1:30 AM). Currently there is not a single award flight open for booking around my flight date.

What are my options? Can I:

- Change my flight to another flight with better timings? For example to JL5 which departs 1:10 PM (but no award space available)?
- Change as soon as award space opens without paying the $ 125,00 change fee?
- Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

skimthetrees Nov 27, 2019 3:52 am

Originally Posted by jongesander (Post 31781469)
Last week I've booked a JAL award ticket using AS miles. Booked JFK-NRT-CGK. The former in F, the latter in J. It looks like the've pulled all NRT flights in F, so they rescheduled me to JFK-HND; NRT-CGK.

Usually I would be totally fine with this, although I don't like flights who departs after midnight (they've rebooked me on JL3, leaving 1:30 AM). Currently there is not a single award flight open for booking around my flight date.

What are my options? Can I:

- Change my flight to another flight with better timings? For example to JL5 which departs 1:10 PM (but no award space available)?
- Change as soon as award space opens without paying the $ 125,00 change fee?
- Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

You should be able to ask AS to request JL to open up space since JL made the change. There was a similar situation in the CX thread which should provide some background:

I would hope that they would allow you to change without the change fee. If you cannot get them to change by requesting through their JL liaison as above then I would probably ask an agent if a free change should be allowed and if they say yes have them notate the record to that effect so you have it documented.

AlexanderK Nov 27, 2019 6:21 am

I booked two F awards from ORD>NRT for Sep 2020 and now they show on hold and are showing the correct route to HND since the NRT has been put off. Do I need to contact AS since they ticketed it to make sure this goes through. It showed ticketed prior to the announce made JL made about ORD>NRT being changed to HND.

rustykettel Nov 27, 2019 8:12 am

Originally Posted by AlexanderK (Post 31781885)
I booked two F awards from ORD>NRT for Sep 2020 and now they show on hold and are showing the correct route to HND since the NRT has been put off. Do I need to contact AS since they ticketed it to make sure this goes through. It showed ticketed prior to the announce made JL made about ORD>NRT being changed to HND.

See Post #1151 and around there in this thread. There's a known issue with award tickets showing Hold. As long as seat selection is working, you should be ok. Per a similar thread in the JL forum, JL is aware of it.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japa...servation.html

nearlysober Nov 27, 2019 12:57 pm

Yeah my ticket for next week is also showing "ON HOLD" but, in that thread that @rustykettel just linked about the "two different statuses" you'll see multiple reports of people encountering the same thing, and posting success stories that it didn't cause any problems.

minz56 Nov 28, 2019 12:34 am

Originally Posted by AlexanderK (Post 31781885)

I have NRT/ORD booked via AS for next April. When I go into my booking on the AS website it asks me to contact them, no doubt to confirm the schedule change (an airport change in this case). This is normal. If you have a connecting flight from NRT then you will need to work with them to rebook the onward sector if necessary, given that you will now be arriving at HND.

I haven't called them yet so I can't tell you what the outcome of that was.

jongesander Nov 28, 2019 1:19 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 31781595)
You should be able to ask AS to request JL to open up space since JL made the change. There was a similar situation in the CX thread which should provide some background:

I would hope that they would allow you to change without the change fee. If you cannot get them to change by requesting through their JL liaison as above then I would probably ask an agent if a free change should be allowed and if they say yes have them notate the record to that effect so you have it documented.

Thanks. Called yesterday and they made the request to JAL. Today I've received the confirmation mail from AS with the new flight.

skimthetrees Nov 28, 2019 5:18 am

Originally Posted by jongesander (Post 31784610)
Thanks. Called yesterday and they made the request to JAL. Today I've received the confirmation mail from AS with the new flight.

Thanks for reporting back! It's great to have confirmation that there is a process in place and it does work.

luv_flying Nov 28, 2019 6:01 am

May I check if the one world inventory different from AS? I saw some F availability from JFK-HND on BA website but not on AS...

How about for CX?

Many thanks!

brentyb Nov 28, 2019 7:20 am

Originally Posted by nearlysober (Post 31783224)
Yeah my ticket for next week is also showing "ON HOLD" but, in that thread that @rustykettel just linked about the "two different statuses" you'll see multiple reports of people encountering the same thing, and posting success stories that it didn't cause any problems.

We fly out on the 8th, and yesterday the tickets showed as ON HOLD with a holding period until the 7th.

I read the thread about it being a glitch, but it still makes me nervous. Should I call Japan Airlines?

rustykettel Nov 28, 2019 11:12 am

Originally Posted by brentyb (Post 31785166)
We fly out on the 8th, and yesterday the tickets showed as ON HOLD with a holding period until the 7th.

I read the thread about it being a glitch, but it still makes me nervous. Should I call Japan Airlines?

You could wait until OLCI opens at T-24 and verify you can check in then. If you're ok with the sometimes longer wait when calling JL, might as well call them for your own piece of mind though. I don't believe anyone here or in the other thread has posted an instance where there was an actual problem with their reservation.

brentyb Nov 28, 2019 11:31 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 31785675)
You could wait until OLCI opens at T-24 and verify you can check in then. If you're ok with the sometimes longer wait when calling JL, might as well call them for your own piece of mind though. I don't believe anyone here or in the other thread has posted an instance where there was an actual problem with their reservation.

Just noticed that the JL website acknowledges the glitch at the bottom:
"System failure has been occurred that the ticketing deadline may be displayed for some resevations even if the ticket has been issued sucessfully.Your ticket and reservation will remain valid without problems.
We deeply apologize for any inconvenience."

Guess everything is good to go

leland Nov 28, 2019 12:44 pm

Few followup questions on changing my itinerary, I have SEA-SFO-HND-KIX (J for TPAC) and CTS-NRT-LAX-SEA (F for TPAC) booked. The dates are a bit off and some options have emerged so would love to change, but don't want to change itineraries and emerge with no flights at all (I did that once with Qantas thanks to their phantom availability issues).
  1. Both itineraries are on "Hold" but I'm able to select seats so safe to assume no issue? Or should I be calling AS?
  2. In terms of booking a new itinerary, am I able to book a conflicting itinerary? Or will JAL do something undesirable like not allow the booking and cancel out my existing ticket (in Hold status)? I have enough points to book a few duplicates/options and then cancel the unneeded ones, but I'm unclear on the best way to avoid problems. Would appreciate very prescriptive advice here on the best process to follow to avoid issues, e.g. should I book my duplicate online then call to cancel the other, call to arrange a switch, other sites to check, etc. Again, what I really want to avoid is the scenario where I have to cancel out my flight first then book the second only to fail due to phantom availability, seat sniping, etc.
  3. Would it be the same process to follow if something changes like F opening on SFO-HND on the same dates I'm flying versus changing dates or does the "edit" process have some variance?
  4. The real dilemma... and likely O/T :) Would you (or have you) traded an extra day of vacation with the S/O for a bucket list seat in F? My return takes me away from vacation a day earlier than desired, but in a bucket list F seat. I could match my partners TPAC flight (but not connections), but I'd be in J. Either way I'm in trouble as my partner paid cash for Y, but I'd be riding upfront. The alternative is that I don't change and I bail early to ride in F. And yeah, I suppose haven't really considered Y an option for me :rolleyes: If anyone has prescriptive advice on this one I'm all ears :D

Thanks for helping me navigate JAL award booking!