Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Hopefully its only temporarily removed due to all the errors.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
To my surprise I was able to change SGN-NRT to BKK-NRT online, without the "call customer care to process this booking" drama ^
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by SilverChris
To my surprise I was able to change SGN-NRT to BKK-NRT online, without the "call customer care to process this booking" drama ^
The closer in the better from what I understand. I have not had to call on any JL bookings or changes
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:20 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brizone
Just did out here, and sent her a heads-up about it.
Cool, I went ahead and moved it into the consolidated Missy Questions Thread

Ryandc99, Moderator Alaska Airlines
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:30 pm

Missy replied -
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28045582-post367.html

It was intentional. They weren't working - JL couldn't support the bookings for some reason
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:13 am

After booking JL thru AS, may I know if there is a way to add the booking into JAL mileage bank account online? Could it be done? Thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Got lots of messages like "The request was not successful. See the red message(s) below. Space on partner flights cannot be confirmed. Please change the dates, cities, or flights of your original request." since yesterday when trying to book awards on JAL. Any recourse?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 4:55 pm

not sure why we have two separate Alaska-JAL threads both talking about redemptions

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...-cabins-8.html

anyways, looks like alaska IT<->JAL has some issues, even for regular F/J/Y awards. (some of my search results become stale or contains invalid info)

i would keep trying or call to book
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:00 pm

Ok I talked about the problem in another thread. But now let me talk about some experience on booking JAL award using alaska.

I booked two tickets today, both listed as purchased but only one is showing ticket #. They both contain international JAL segments and domestic JAL segments.

When booking the ticket I got is an error message (The request was not successful. See the red message(s) below. Space on partner flights cannot be confirmed. Please change the dates, cities, or flights of your original request.) So I checked the space after this, and seeing AS is still showing the place while BA/JL doesn't have it. First I thought someone else got it. But after an hour the space appear again and this time I get it.

I think it is because there were something wrong when trying to book the domestic segment of JL, and it got hold on the space of the international segment but released later.

The second ticket also got the same error message. But after I click the purchase button a few times it just got through.

Well, the IT is definitely glitchy.

But I still haven't received the ticket # for the first ticket, should I call?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:35 pm

Well, I discovered that I have received the As ticket# on the final booking screen (which I screenshoted). However when I go my trips again I am not seeing it.

Should I worry? Should I call JL to confirm?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by zig2
Well, I discovered that I have received the As ticket# on the final booking screen (which I screenshoted). However when I go my trips again I am not seeing it.

Should I worry? Should I call JL to confirm?
It's normal for partner awards not to show under "my trips", even though the ticket is intact.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 8:04 pm

After booking JL thru AS, may I know if there is a way to add the booking into JAL mileage bank account online? Could it be done? Thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
It's normal for partner awards not to show under "my trips", even though the ticket is intact.
How do I make sure about it? The glitchy booking process makes me worry.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:10 pm

How do I make sure about it? The glitchy booking process makes me worry.
If you've received a confirmation email with a ticket number than you're good to go.

If you're still not convinced then you'll have to pick up the phone and call JL. Be warned though: US call center (or wherever the US number routes to) can have very long hold times.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Got lots of messages like "The request was not successful. See the red message(s) below. Space on partner flights cannot be confirmed. Please change the dates, cities, or flights of your original request." since yesterday when trying to book awards on JAL. Any recourse?
Just booked a JL reservation on AS two days ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.