Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
So I see availability on the BA website for F flights, but nothing on the AS website, is this normal? Do the agents see the space? Thanks
Yes, this is normal. The agent only sees what you see on the AS Website. There is often a difference between what is available to an Alliance Carrier and a Partner (AS).

James
Old Oct 6, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
So I see availability on the BA website for F flights, but nothing on the AS website, is this normal? Do the agents see the space? Thanks
For a non-stop flight that is inside the 330 day booking window?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by TEDisgone
I just encountered a head-scratcher with the AS website.

I'm looking at a potential SIN-SFO booking in J so I enter that in and get these results:

So being greedy, I see that if I leave on the 21st instead, F is available from HND-SFO, but only coach is offered SIN-HND. So what if I check for the 21st?

Hey...where's my F seat? Is there really no J seat to HND on the 21st?

Computer says "yes"! So if I check HND-SFO my F seat should be there, right?

Computer says "no". Okay, what if I search using multi-city?

This is only a potential trip so I'm only amused at this point - I'd be perfectly happy with the 20th in J all the way.
Could be married segment availability. Possibly AS availability caching trouble. The F flight on the 21st is not available from other partners so this is a win for AS.

Of course, if you really wanted the 21st there is CX F available for 5k less than JL.
TEDisgone likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Could be married segment availability. Possibly AS availability caching trouble. The F flight on the 21st is not available from other partners so this is a win for AS.

Of course, if you really wanted the 21st there is CX F available for 5k less than JL.
When I looked on AS this morning JL F HKG-SFO on May 21st wasn't available either. It is possible that inventory decreassed to zero between the time the segments were being searched and them the through fare was queried.

It would seem odd to see a married segment not have availability when both segments on their own did.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Oct 6, 2019 at 9:15 pm
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by skimthetrees

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
When I looked on AS this morning JL F HKG-SFO on May 21st wasn't available either. It is possible that inventory decreassed to zero between the time the segments were being searched and thrme through fare was queried.

It would seem odd to see a married segment not have availability when both segments on their own did.

James
That odd 20th/21st married segment (with a 14 hour layover) seems to still be available this evening:

I ended up using the multi-city search for another day closer to what I really need and was able to get J to HND, then F to SFO, and then even F home to PDX. Searching for SIN-PDX only offered up all segments in Y or J via YVR (on a 767...). So strange.

I don't ask why, I just ask often.
PVDtoDEL and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:27 am

Where’s the availability?

Anybody notice a change in availability? We’re flying to Asia in a couple weeks and for months have been monitoring MNL-JFK via Tokyo on JL. 2 days before current day there’s almost always 2 seats in biz or first. Now that Singapore is online can’t find any JL biz or first. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by lovefly88
Anybody notice a change in availability? We’re flying to Asia in a couple weeks and for months have been monitoring MNL-JFK via Tokyo on JL. 2 days before current day there’s almost always 2 seats in biz or first. Now that Singapore is online can’t find any JL biz or first. Any thoughts?
Mass cancellations due to a typhoon, they have probably pulled all inventory for a while as they need to rebook and rearrange people's flights.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Mass cancellations due to a typhoon, they have probably pulled all inventory for a while as they need to rebook and rearrange people's flights.
Thanks for the info. Had absolutely no idea.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
This happens all the time and it’s really frustrating. And when I bring it to the agents attention they tell me all the availability must’ve gone away. And then I say OK then search this segment piece by piece and when they do they see what I’m talking about and it is available, then they figure something out. But that’s the only way I’ve been able to get around this hiccup on the website.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't think I've ever seen such dynamic inventory as JL on AS. It's literally worthwhile to check multiple times per day. I scored F SFO-HND last night while sitting on a UA 739 at SFO.
Robt760, TEDisgone and nexusCFX like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't think I've ever seen such dynamic inventory as JL on AS. It's literally worthwhile to check multiple times per day. I scored F SFO-HND last night while sitting on a UA 739 at SFO.
You are not kidding! I have a trip planned to Tokyo next month so I keep checking for an F seat several times per day and it's remarkable how J seats appear and disappear from the West Coast gateways. It's like whac-a-mole some days.
NoLaGent, Kacee and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:52 pm

Hi All,

At the time of this posting, it is Oct 13, 2019

I want to fly SEA to NRT non-stop in business class on or near 01/13/2020 using Alaska Airlines points. One passenger.

Currently there is no availability, but I assume some will pop up.

Which days may I expect JAL to release inventory to Alaska bookings? I'd like to be ready to take immediate action and grab it up.

Thank you!
Old Oct 14, 2019, 12:57 am

If I book biz class on JAL using AS points now, can I upgrade to F with AS points later on if inventory comes available (i.e. if it appears T-14)?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by rtmf
If I book biz class on JAL using AS points now, can I upgrade to F with AS points later on if inventory comes available (i.e. if it appears T-14)?
Yes. Unless you have MVPG or MVPG75 elite status you will have to pay the $125 change fee. For MVPG and MVPG75 members the change fee is waived.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rtmf
You can't upgrade but you can rebook in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.