Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by newdaybegin
Do you mind tell me what month do you see Per-Lax all in J? I only see Per-Mel in J and Mel-Lax in premium economy? not sure what i did work but don't see anything in the calendar for all J? thanks!
I booked PER-MEL red-eye on the A330 October 22nd connecting to MEL-LAX A380 on the 23rd. On October 25th, LAX-SEA in A and SEA-YLW in the puddle jumper. Interestingly, PER-SYD-LAX & PER-BNE-LAX were also available but the SYD-LAX J was phantom. There were many choices in late October from AU, fewer to AU but not zero.

A little off the JL topic, but still on booking online itineraries, I have seen an unusual amount of J both ways on QF. When I looked yesterday, there were LAX-SYD & DFW-SYD availability in J between Christmas and New Years. I like to throw in random city pairs and see what pops up. A LAX-MEL search may produce LAX-SFO-SYD-MEL. It is almost like doing multiple searches at once. In looking for LAX-MEL I found J in SFO-SYD.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jun 22, 2019 at 4:21 pm
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I booked PER-MEL red-eye on the A330 October 22nd connecting to MEL-LAX A380 on the 23rd. On October 25th, LAX-SEA in A and SEA-YLW in the puddle jumper. Interestingly, PER-SYD-LAX & PER-BNE-LAX were also available but the SYD-LAX J was phantom. There were many choices in late October from AU, fewer to AU but not zero.

A little off the JL topic, but still on booking online itineraries, I have seen an unusual amount of J both ways on QF. When I looked yesterday, there were LAX-SYD & DFW-SYD availability in J between Christmas and New Years. I like to throw in random city pairs and see what pops up. A LAX-MEL search may produce LAX-SFO-SYD-MEL. It is almost like doing multiple searches at once. In looking for LAX-MEL I found J in SFO-SYD.

James
Thanks James look like the only way for this to show out is search date by date and not look at the calendar very good way to fly J for 55k all in business with Qantas!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Have you tried from EWR? Open Jaws permitted. In the case of my itinerary, I originally terminated in LAX without a JFK stopover. Ultimately I was going to PHX. I changed the last leg JFK-LAX online after purchase to JFK-LAX-PVR with the two month stopover. I also had an overnight (layover) in HND. Online collected the additional Mexican taxes. I purchased a JFK-PDX-SEA-PHX for the following day and was able to apply one GGU to all three segments. The PDX connection was exactly 4 hours.

I have also seen J disappear when trying to connect beyond the gateway particularly in NA. While not JL, I recently booked QF PER-MEL-LAX all in J. When I tried adding LAX-SEA-YLW for the same day arriving in LAX the QF TPAC J disappeared. Adding a 2 day stopover in LAX the QF TPAC J returned and offered me A space on the AS LAX-SEA segment all for 55K. Thank you very much.

Some of the routings AS offers on Partner awards are pretty amazing. If you purchase an award and then play with the award already book, it seems to offer great flexibility. If it doesn't work and AS can't help, you can cancel. If you have a fee waiver, even better as inventories are always changing and you aren't in a rush. If you ultimately cancel, you are out the $12.50 partner booking fee; about half the cost of a NYC Martini.

James
Update:
finally made the change (add-on) so my itinerary now looks like PEK-HND-JFK-SJC in J+F+F, with a one-month stop in NYC. The agent in Seattle added the JFK-SJC effortlessly...
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:04 am

I have a reservation that's showing it's status as "on hold" on JAL's site.

My flight departs tomorrow and it has me a bit worried, because I'm pretty sure this said "confirmed" when I checked a couple of days ago to select seats.

I received the confirmation letter for this along with ticket number when I booked the award tickets a week ago.

Does anyone have experience with this? Should I give JAL or Alaska a call?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by flumoxed
I have a reservation that's showing it's status as "on hold" on JAL's site.

My flight departs tomorrow and it has me a bit worried, because I'm pretty sure this said "confirmed" when I checked a couple of days ago to select seats.

I received the confirmation letter for this along with ticket number when I booked the award tickets a week ago.

Does anyone have experience with this? Should I give JAL or Alaska a call?
I think it's fine. So long as you are sure it used to say confirmed on JAL's site and it is still confirmed on AS with tickets issued. The same thing happened to me. Maybe once the check-in window opens this is how the status shows? Can you check-in online via JAL's site?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I think it's fine. So long as you are sure it used to say confirmed on JAL's site and it is still confirmed on AS with tickets issued. The same thing happened to me. Maybe once the check-in window opens this is how the status shows? Can you check-in online via JAL's site?
I'm happy to report that I was able to check-in even with the "on hold" status. This was with OLCI within 24hours of departure.

I'm chalking this up to an IT screw up, see as both Alaska and JAL saw I was ticketed.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:51 am

Do we know the exact time JL seats are released to AS for close in awards?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Travelchurner
There is no exact rule ffor when JAL release close in award seats. Though 2 weeks before is where a lot of the releases are often seen.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVPG, HHonors Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Travelchurner
I found a business class seat on the new SEA flight that opened up 2 1/2 weeks prior to my intended date of travel.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
You can. LAX-KIX (stop) KIX-BKK works fine online. Also, LAX-NRT (stop) KIX-BKK or LAX-KIX (stop) TYO-BKK.
Is it possible to book SIN-NRT(stop)-KIX-KUL in 1 award?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tesskrit
Maybe not if AS's booking engine has any clue about MPM, given that the flight distance between SIN and KUL is less than 200 miles and you're putting in over 3500 miles of flying to do that. Neat way to get 95% of a round trip for a one-way.

And people wonder why nice things get taken away on award charts sometimes...
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If you can get it to book on the AS site, enjoy. 0% chance you will be able to get KIX though, only the hub city on regional award.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Is there a workaround for getting an agent to successfully book an award on JAL that appears on QF/AA/BA and shows as part of a round-trip on Alaska's website but won't appear as a one-way? For example, searching BKK-SEA on 6/7 shows no availability, but when you search SEA-BKK round-trip departing on 5/24 and returning on 6/7, it suddenly shows up. Phone agent checked with her supervisor and was given some line about JAL making schedule changes or a delay in updating system inventory, but why then would it also appear on QF/AA/BA?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Deemus7
Is there a workaround for getting an agent to successfully book an award on JAL that appears on QF/AA/BA and shows as part of a round-trip on Alaska's website but won't appear as a one-way? For example, searching BKK-SEA on 6/7 shows no availability, but when you search SEA-BKK round-trip departing on 5/24 and returning on 6/7, it suddenly shows up. Phone agent checked with her supervisor and was given some line about JAL making schedule changes or a delay in updating system inventory, but why then would it also appear on QF/AA/BA?
IME the "schedule change/update" is the excuse given all the time when they can't book something and don't know why. HUCA sometimes works or sometimes you actually gets an agent that goes the extra mile to find out what the real problem is.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: NZ
No, because JL do not fly KIX/KUL on their own metal, they codeshare with MH. I tried KIX or ITM / NRT or HND /KUL but nothing showed available for the limited search I did.

But you can definitely do (for example) SIN/NRT - KIX/BKK using 25K AS miles in business (ie the one way redemption level). The difference here is that JL fly KIX/BKK.
tesskrit likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.