Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
Definitely 4F

This is for a connection - assume married segment so I'm only looking for end to end availability, not each segment. You're right though, double checking on Qantas does not show the seats available (I only want 2).
Old May 8, 2019, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Nurse Traveler
Definitely 4F
This is for a connection - assume married segment so I'm only looking for end to end availability, not each segment. You're right though, double checking on Qantas does not show the seats available (I only want 2).
BA site shows phantom availability when you don't look segment by segment. It could be F1 and J4 on the connecting flight and it will show as F4. 2 F seats would be rare.

I looked at the date where its showing F4 as SFO > BKK and there are actually no seats in F SFO > HND which seems to match what you are seeing on QF
FindAWay and Nurse Traveler like this.

Last edited by CDKing; May 8, 2019 at 6:18 am
Old May 8, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
Originally Posted by CDKing
BA site shows phantom availability when you don't look segment by segment. It could be F1 and J4 on the connecting flight and it will show as F4. 2 F seats would be rare.
Thank you. I've done this several times before but I wasn't sure if I should look segment by segment or for the whole itinerary due to the move to what appears to be a married segment logic.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Nurse Traveler
Thank you. I've done this several times before but I wasn't sure if I should look segment by segment or for the whole itinerary due to the move to what appears to be a married segment logic.
I have seen the Alaska website offer a through journey [US]-TYO-[Asia] on the website when there was availability [US]-TYO and TYO-[Asia] but no married segment availability for the complete journey on QF. I have also seen the Alaska website show married segment availability [US]-TYO-[Japan] so it may work differently depending on whether your connecting flight is inside Japan or outside of Japan.

So I think for your journey SFO-TYO-BKK that the Alaska website would by default search individual segments which is good since AS can book this when AA may not be able to if there is no married segment availability. And, I believe (for flights inside the window that Alaska can book) if QF shows married segment availability but AlaskaAir.com does not show it that you can call an Alaska partner agent and ask them to check availability for the complete journey (married segment check) and book it that way, so the best of both worlds.

ETA:
Also, keep in mind you have an advantage when booking with AS miles. You can get a free stopover. You may not be interested in a free stopover but this can sometimes provide you with availability that other programs cannot book. For example (made up availability), say SFO-HND ha 2F on 8/1, no availability HND-BKK 8/2 or 8/3 but there may be 2J on 8/4. You could book this as a multicity journey with a stopover in TYO until 8/4 on the AS website for 75k, the same as the price without a stopover whereas someone booking through another program would not be able to book without spending significantly more miles.
Nurse Traveler and be_rettSEA like this.

Last edited by skimthetrees; May 8, 2019 at 10:40 am
Old May 9, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
JAL Award Availability

I can see a JAL flight available for redemption on the British Airways site, but not on the Alaska site. Is the inventory of seats different for different airlines?
Old May 9, 2019, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Lots of discussion in the Consolidated JAL awards thread (conveniently located on the first page of the Alaska Airlines forum)

BA allows bookings 355 days out. AS 330 only (and you have to work around problems at end of schedule, again, discussed in the thread).
jinglish and safari ari like this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 10, 2019 at 9:05 am Reason: Removed circular thread reference
Old May 10, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: krisflyer
Looking to fly from SEA/SFO to NRT on 24/25/26th June on J. Saw some availability few days ago but missed my shot. It's about 1.5months away, do JAL tend to release more seats closer to date? (I'll be booking them through AS)

Also don't know if I should purchase AS miles to standby for it given it'so only a month away and I won't be redeeming it for other flights anytime soon.

Last edited by makrxx; May 10, 2019 at 4:13 am
Old May 10, 2019, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by makrxx
Looking to fly from SEA/SFO to NRT on 24/25/26th June on J. Saw some availability few days ago but missed my shot. It's about 1.5months away, do JAL tend to release more seats closer to date? (I'll be booking them through AS)

Also don't know if I should purchase AS miles to standby for it given it'so only a month away and I won't be redeeming it for other flights anytime soon.
Difficult to say. They may release additonal availability close to departure, but there is no fixed schedule and depends on bookings levels. Also, any availability may be taken by JMB members on wait list for upgrades.

Whether you should buy now depends mainly on whether you can hold an AS award until you get the purchase of the miles completed, but you'd have to ask in the AS forum for that.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
AS doesn’t do award holds. You either have the miles to ticket or you don’t get the award until you do.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
FYI Good F on JAL LAX to NRT available for 2 next couple days.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:31 am

Just booked one J ticket SIN-NRT-PVG-KIX using the AS website! The routing is ridiculous so will have a full day flying, in three different aircrafts, in and out of Japan. Already cover the first half of the journey using Asia Miles and will spend a week in Southeast Asia.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ftakak
Just booked one J ticket SIN-NRT-PVG-KIX using the AS website! The routing is ridiculous so will have a full day flying, in three different aircrafts, in and out of Japan. Already cover the first half of the journey using Asia Miles and will spend a week in Southeast Asia.
Yep, it will give ridiculous routing over none at all. I'm assuming you have Chinese visa or passport of a country that doesn't require one like Singapore? if not this routing is not eligible for TWOV
Old May 11, 2019, 6:52 am

Talking

Originally Posted by CDKing
Yep, it will give ridiculous routing over none at all. I'm assuming you have Chinese visa or passport of a country that doesn't require one like Singapore? if not this routing is not eligible for TWOV
Thanks for the reminder! Yes, all visas ready for the trip!
Old May 12, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: krisflyer
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
AS doesn’t do award holds. You either have the miles to ticket or you don’t get the award until you do.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Difficult to say. They may release additonal availability close to departure, but there is no fixed schedule and depends on bookings levels. Also, any availability may be taken by JMB members on wait list for upgrades.

Whether you should buy now depends mainly on whether you can hold an AS award until you get the purchase of the miles completed, but you'd have to ask in the AS forum for that.
Thanks both. I might just take a risk and buy the AS miles so I'll have enough to book it right away when the time comes. I looked on Expertflyer and still a number of seats available for 24/25/26th from SEA/SFO/LAX to NRT/HND.

About 35 days away...fingers crossed.

On another note, when I search LAX-TYO, some days I've seen them display results for LAX - NRT/HND, LAX - SFO - NRT/HND or LAX - SEA - NRT/HND...some days it's 1 or the other. In the event that when I search a 1 way SEA/SFO/LAX to NRT/HND and it shows it being available, but not when I search LAX - SIN (so it dosen't show the indirect route), can I call AS reservations to book it in for me at no extra cost?
Old May 12, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by makrxx
Thanks both. I might just take a risk and buy the AS miles so I'll have enough to book it right away when the time comes. I looked on Expertflyer and still a number of seats available for 24/25/26th from SEA/SFO/LAX to NRT/HND.

About 35 days away...fingers crossed.

On another note, when I search LAX-TYO, some days I've seen them display results for LAX - NRT/HND, LAX - SFO - NRT/HND or LAX - SEA - NRT/HND...some days it's 1 or the other. In the event that when I search a 1 way SEA/SFO/LAX to NRT/HND and it shows it being available, but not when I search LAX - SIN (so it dosen't show the indirect route), can I call AS reservations to book it in for me at no extra cost?
June 25/26 are midweek so I would expect there to be some openings there before the flights. I would want to have the miles available to pull the trigger when the space opens but if the miles are useless to you if you cannot use them for this trip you probably should wait. I think AS miles purchases process within a few minutes. May be different for a first time purchaser. You might try purchasing a minimum allotment of miles (1000?) to see how fast the purchase processes to give you an idea of how long it takes.

I am not clear on your last question. You are only traveling to TYO, correct? What does SIN have to do with it? LAX-SIN may not show because the search engine can have trouble with overnight connections. If you are looking for an overnight connection that is not showing you can try plugging the two segments into the multi-city search.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.