Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Called to book an award for a complex-ish routing

MNL - NRT - JFK (F), wanted to stopover in NYC and head back West. It IS possible (i.e. there is no fare rule against it) to backtrack unless you're CX. In practice, it can probably only be done in JFK because AS limits the flights that partners can connect with, and JFK seems to have the only good amount of options for that
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:00 pm

Is there any way to book Australia-NRT-USA at all via AS? AS allows Australia-HKG-USA on Cathay, but can't seem to find a way to book JAL from Australia to USA. AA splits the award into two since they don't allow to transition via Asia at all. Has anyone booked JAL on this route at all using AS miles?

Last edited by kinglobjaw; Apr 25, 2019 at 9:07 pm
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Is there any way to book Australia-NRT-USA at all via AS? AS allows Australia-HKG-USA on Cathay, but can't seem to find a way to book JAL from Australia to USA. AA splits the award into two since they don't allow to transition via Asia at all. Has anyone booked JAL on this route at all using AS miles?
It’ll price as two different awards
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by verbyournoun

It’ll price as two different awards
There are no JL awards Australia/Asia so what the OP wants is totally impossible. The closest way to do this would be get a separate ticket from Australia to CGK or SIN and then pick up JL from there.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
There is no JL award chart to Australia for AS. Not bookable. Book CX AUS/NZ to HKG and use JL for HKG-USA would be the only way around that. That’s only a 30k premium for J.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Called to book an award for a complex-ish routing

MNL - NRT - JFK (F), wanted to stopover in NYC and head back West. It IS possible (i.e. there is no fare rule against it) to backtrack unless you're CX. In practice, it can probably only be done in JFK because AS limits the flights that partners can connect with, and JFK seems to have the only good amount of options for that
There are a lot or things you can do that are not actually allowed they just don't seem to be high on the list of things to fix. They were able to fix blocking ability to book CX before 330 days. Or the threat of possible termination for making use of direct booking method without supervisor approval. Emirates deval came along because of some of these loophole issues
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

There is no JL award chart to Australia for AS. Not bookable. Book CX AUS/NZ to HKG and use JL for HKG-USA would be the only way around that. That’s only a 30k premium for J.
How is that possible on one award? AS doesn't allow 2 partners on one award (only AS + CX or JL)?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by estnet
How is that possible on one award? AS doesn't allow 2 partners on one award (only AS + CX or JL)?
It isn't. It's two awards.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by estnet
Right, which is why I said "a 30k premium". That's for the second award.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: AC MM
When booking a JAL award seat in Economy with Alaska miles, is it possible to pre-select seats or is it the same as with a couple of Y booking classes where seat selection only becomes available during online check-in?
Old May 1, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by yvrcnx
When booking a JAL award seat in Economy with Alaska miles, is it possible to pre-select seats or is it the same as with a couple of Y booking classes where seat selection only becomes available during online check-in?
JAL Seat selection
Seat selection is available to passengers traveling on JAL First Class, Business Class, Premium Economy Class or Economy Class with normal or discount fares for individual passengers. Seat selection is also available to passengers using award tickets.
You can select seats. You have to use the JAL PNR and do it through the JAL website.
yvrcnx likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
JAL Seat selection

You can select seats. You have to use the JAL PNR and do it through the JAL website.
Thank you for the information, really appreciate. I did search but didn't see the JAL seat selection thread. thank you again!
Old May 1, 2019, 9:34 pm

Is it possible to do ORD-NRT-SIN in F class as one award for 75k? I'm guessing if yes, I need to call it in? I looked online and the only thing I'm seeing is ORD-NRT.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Is it possible to do ORD-NRT-SIN in F class as one award for 75k? I'm guessing if yes, I need to call it in? I looked online and the only thing I'm seeing is ORD-NRT.
Do a multi city search with one segment ORD - NRT and one segment NRT - SIN. If you don’t intend to have a stopover you can put the departure date the same day you arrive, however according to the AS system it counts as a stopover (though in reality it isn’t).

Hope this helps
Old May 1, 2019, 10:01 pm

Do a multi city search with one segment ORD - NRT and one segment NRT - SIN. If you don’t intend to have a stopover you can put the departure date the same day you arrive, however according to the AS system it counts as a stopover (though in reality it isn’t).

Hope this helps
That worked, thanks! Looks like the NRT-SIN route doesn't offer F class so would need to be a mixed award booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.