Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Perhaps this is because of the AS JAL "Dead-Zone" near the end of schedule? You may be picking a departure from CGK one day away from the dead zone and maybe the NRT-ORD connecting flight is in the dead-zone the next day (< 24 hours) but since the first segment departed in the live-zone the connection shows up. You should be able to book the CGK-NRT-ORD in F if you can find it stretching into the dead zone and then call in to switch the CGK-NRT segment earlier (if there is availability) thus creating your stopover.
I am not sure that is the reason, though it could apply for some dates.

At the moment I could book on 11 December (about 3 weeks before EOS) CGK/NRT/ORD with F TPAC, but I could not book NRT/ORD itself on the same flight on 12 December (CGK/NRT is overnight).

I think it's married segment availability which you can also get on revenue tickets.

Last edited by minz56; Feb 5, 2019 at 9:44 pm
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by minz56
I am not sure that is the reason, though it could apply for some dates.

At the moment I could book on 11 December (about 3 weeks before EOS) CGK/NRT/ORD with F TPAC, but I could not book NRT/ORD itself on the same flight on 12 December (CGK/NRT is overnight).

I think it's married segment availability which you can also get on revenue tickets.
I think you are right! I have never seen this on JAL awards before.

I would try a couple of things. The first is to book the CGK-ORD journey, then call in within 24 hours so there is no change fee and ask to switch the CGK-NRT segment earlier (if there is availability) thus creating your stopover. This may or may not work but if it does not you can cancel within 24 hours and get everything but maybe the partner booking fee refunded. The second would be to book it but wait until it tickets to make the change which may be easier or harder to get to work than the first option and if it takes longer than 24 hours to ticket you would be on the hook for a change fee.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I think you are right! I have never seen this on JAL awards before.

I would try a couple of things. The first is to book the CGK-ORD journey, then call in within 24 hours so there is no change fee and ask to switch the CGK-NRT segment earlier (if there is availability) thus creating your stopover. This may or may not work but if it does not you can cancel within 24 hours and get everything but maybe the partner booking fee refunded. The second would be to book it but wait until it tickets to make the change which may be easier or harder to get to work than the first option and if it takes longer than 24 hours to ticket you would be on the hook for a change fee.
Yes, I might try that approach, although it is a bit hypothetical at the moment as I am not travelling till April 2020!

However, if it is a true married segment I would suspect that AS would be unable to rebook the CGK/NRT sector without cancelling and rebooking both sectors, and that would almost certainly mean losing NRT/ORD. But no harm in trying!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Forced into mixed class booking

Hi guys,

I have been searching for J seats from SIN - HND - CTS (Sapporo) but have been given a mixed class notice on every single option.

The SIN - HND international segment is assigned into J class but the HND - CTS domestic segment is always assigned into Y class.

Any idea why this happen and how to go about making sure that the domestic segment is assigned into J class too?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I don’t think they have biz class, only First (select routes), ‘Class J’ (premium economy) and economy. The Class J is about USD8 to get at check in. Not sure how it translates for award tickets though.
matsuya likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA, United, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by drunkskunk
Hi guys,

I have been searching for J seats from SIN - HND - CTS (Sapporo) but have been given a mixed class notice on every single option.

The SIN - HND international segment is assigned into J class but the HND - CTS domestic segment is always assigned into Y class.

Any idea why this happen and how to go about making sure that the domestic segment is assigned into J class too?
It's not in this thread's wiki (perhaps it should be), but JL only releases economy for domestic segments. This is in the AA Award on JL thread wiki:
All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
drunkskunk and DrAlex like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
has anyone succeeded in holding JL F flights near end of schedule and then booking it with AS later? im desperately trying to find some sort of reliable way to book JL F near end of schedule.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by merridius
has anyone succeeded in holding JL F flights near end of schedule and then booking it with AS later? im desperately trying to find some sort of reliable way to book JL F near end of schedule.
Sorry but what does end of schedule mean? 330+ days out?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:38 pm

Hi guys,

I'm trying to book the following using 25k miles as a one-way, the results I'm getting as per below:

KUL-NRT
NRT-PVG
PVG-KIX

(stop over)
HND-SIN

My ultimate first destination in Japan is KIX, then I will make my own way to Tokyo and depart from HND back to SG.

The question I have are the 2 segments highlighted in bold (NRT-PVG and PVG-KIX), would it be possible to just book it from NRT/HND to KIX? (economy is fine) Instead of circling over to Shanghai then back to KIX seems a little unnecessary :S

Appreciate any expert advice, I'm a AS mile newbie

Thanks
Regards
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
Originally Posted by ffman999

Sorry but what does end of schedule mean? 330+ days out?
+330days or slightly earlier
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:19 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by talfred
Hi guys,

I'm trying to book the following using 25k miles as a one-way, the results I'm getting as per below:

KUL-NRT
NRT-PVG
PVG-KIX

(stop over)
HND-SIN

My ultimate first destination in Japan is KIX, then I will make my own way to Tokyo and depart from HND back to SG.

The question I have are the 2 segments highlighted in bold (NRT-PVG and PVG-KIX), would it be possible to just book it from NRT/HND to KIX? (economy is fine) Instead of circling over to Shanghai then back to KIX seems a little unnecessary :S

Thanks
Regards
I think you have a couple of things going on. JL only flies to NRT from KUL and then JL only flies HND to KIX. So its routing you to PVG to complete the itinerary when searching KUL > KIX for whatever reason. If you do a muti-city search and enter KUL > NRT then HND > KIX it will find award availability for 15k in economy.

Second, I'm fairly certain you can only have a stopover on an award ticket for free when origin or destination is North America and also when it is a hub stopover. So this will price a 2 awards.

KUL > NRT change airport HND > KIX - 15,000 miles
HND > SIN - 15,000 miles
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Hi guys,

KUL-NRT
NRT-PVG
PVG-KIX

(stop over)
HND-SIN
A third issue on this is that unless you have a Chinese visa, or one of the few nationalities that don't require a Chinese visa (like the Japanese), you won't be permitted to board. China's transit without visa (TWOV) requires onward travel to a third country... NRT-PVG-KIX is returning to the same country.
frisbfreek likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:03 am

Hi guys,

KUL-NRT
NRT-PVG
PVG-KIX

(stop over)
HND-SIN

Thanks
Regards
I think the best way to do this is to purchase the NRT/KIX sector separately as JL does not fly this route. From what I can see only Jetstar (GK) flies NRT/KIX..

Then you should be able to get KUL/NRT, HND/SIN in J for 25,000 points with a stopover in Japan.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by merridius
I haven't seen JL F that far out but I've been able to book J when the seats open - but it is spotty. It's not the same but you could do that and wait for F to open until close-up. I've never flown either class so I can only assume, but I'd rather just keep the 10K mile difference and use it somewhere else.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by minz56
I think the best way to do this is to purchase the NRT/KIX sector separately as JL does not fly this route. From what I can see only Jetstar (GK) flies NRT/KIX..
Or fly NRT-ITM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.