Wiki Posts
Search

My first mileage run

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2016, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
My first mileage run

Soon, I will be flying AS from PDX - ORD and back again, in one day. I know this is small potatoes compared to the mileage runs I see on Flyertalk, but this run makes the difference between keeping my MVP status next year or having no status. Perish the though, so to all the normal people in my life who might think it pointless and foolish -- I am just not telling them about my little errand and why I am not available to do anything that day.

It should be pretty easy, because I assume both flights will be on the same plane. To any of y'all who have done this before, does it raise eyebrows among crew? I guess I am going to feel conspicuous getting off the plane, sitting in the boarding area, and then getting back on the plane.* What have been your experiences with quick turn arounds like this? I kind of feel like I might get in trouble, even though this is harmless, legal and provides more money to AS.

*Except for a quick trip to a gift shop for a Cubs World Series t-shirt.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 4:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Flight crew might not even notice, and if they do, you will not be the first MR person they've encountered. It's MR season

Neil
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
It's likely to be a different crew working the return, too.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
I don't like using the word "should" because it's judgmental (in addition to the fact that you can never, ever "should have" done something), but you should take pride in your endeavor!

It's an honorable task that will pay dividends for you in the coming year.

Well done!!
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
In my limited experience on a short haul MR where I did have the same crew, if one of the FA's recognizes you, they might do a double take, but as others said, they're not unused to it even if it's almost as puzzling as it would be to non FTers in your regular life.

Now back to back RT's on consecutive days with the same crew...
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Have A blast!!
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
hard to say if it will be the same plane back. Id have to look at the plane schedule.

They could have one plane do PDX-ORD-SEA and then another plane do the opposite.

Doing a mileage run isnt something to worry about or be embarssed about.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
My first MR was a two leg Chicago turn too. It's a slippery slope my friend - have fun
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
You could always smile and say "I forgot my umbrella in the boarding area in PDX"
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I usually change my sweater and put on my groucho marx glasses when doing a turn.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Sounds like treason, but I no longer go out of my way to earn miles. I do understand the OP's trip is to keep MVP status. That may be worth a little, like early boarding and a free checked bag. But the extra miles in one's account is no longer worthwhile.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I lost my status a few years ago, because a broken ankle and surgery in December made me cancel a trip. The next year's flying was not a good adventure, so I am determined to keep my status.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

It's for the ability to book an exit row seat upon purchase, the free upgrades and the pre-boarding more than the extra miles. I try to schedule my flights for times with the fewest business travelers, to increase my chances for upgrades.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Be sure to include toiletries and a change of underwear! Years ago, I had neither on what I thought was a simple run, and couldn't get back until the next day; New York closed for thunderstorm threats after my outbound from there took off.
I was called to the podium at Orlando as a "runner" with the staff saying something like "We just wanted to be certain ...."
Old Nov 18, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
Well the first MR is going to be a little awkward. I usually find that if you have the same FA on round two you get better service. My record so far is 3 consecutive flights with the same crew. (and different flight numbers).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.