Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Air says 75K can take a row 6 seat that has already been selected by a Gold.

Alaska Air says 75K can take a row 6 seat that has already been selected by a Gold.

Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Soon to be Gold again!

This has happened to my husband. He had a seat in row 6 that was booked a few weeks ago. The flight is tomorrow. He logged in to check-in and found he'd been given some random seat in row 11 (while other better seats than row 6 were available).

He called to find out what happened, and he's being told that three days before the flight a 75K can choose the priority seat--even if that seat has already been assigned to a Gold. They are telling him (on the phone) that he has to "reselect the seat" at 3 days out.

Details are still coming in, and this is secondhand...but this is bizarre. I don't recall this happening before. Did something happen on Nov 1st with row 6? I know that AS was changing it up earlier this year, but I haven't seen this actual type of event happen.

edit to add: I searched for a post on this, and I didn't find anything. Apologies if it is out there.

Last edited by MSObelle; Nov 1, 2016 at 4:46 pm Reason: search
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSObelle
This has happened to my husband. He had a seat in row 6 that was booked a few weeks ago. The flight is tomorrow. He logged in to check-in and found he'd been given some random seat in row 11 (while other better seats than row 6 were available).

He called to find out what happened, and he's being told that three days before the flight a 75K can choose the priority seat--even if that seat has already been assigned to a Gold. They are telling him (on the phone) that he has to "reselect the seat" at 3 days out.

Details are still coming in, and this is secondhand...but this is bizarre. I don't recall this happening before. Did something happen on Nov 1st with row 6? I know that AS was changing it up earlier this year, but I haven't seen this actual type of event happen.

edit to add: I searched for a post on this, and I didn't find anything. Apologies if it is out there.

Read my last few posts in the Consolidated 73H Reconfigured Premium Economy thread here on the first page...I received a response the other day from the AS Twitter team specifically about row 6 (and exit rows).
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

So more details: Alaska doesn't know what happened to take him from 6C to 11B. AS told the hubby that this new change isn't in effect until November 9th. AS also isn't able to see the 11B history (hubs changed himself away from 11B into a better non-row 6 seat).

Why can you select the seat in advance only to have it stolen? If that's true, then I'll pick row 7 every time. I don't want to end up in row 22.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Makes me wonder what other seats on the plane fall into this category. Do other airlines allow this practice?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dave1013
Makes me wonder what other seats on the plane fall into this category. Do other airlines allow this practice?
I am one of those flyers that will totally pay for the seat if given the option. What irritates me about this is that the pay option was removed. And to take someone from a row 6 aisle to a row 11 middle seat? I mean that is just bizarre.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Because I don't want to have this happen to me, I have moved my seats out of row 6 for my upcoming mileage runs. I did notice that row 6 states "Preferred Plus More legroom Available with elite status or for a fee at check-in." Which apparently isn't true any longer.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Or it could have been a handicap passenger?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:16 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Because I don't want to have this happen to me, I have moved my seats out of row 6 for my upcoming mileage runs. I did notice that row 6 states "Preferred Plus More legroom Available with elite status or for a fee at check-in." Which apparently isn't true any longer.
I certainly hope it works out for you.

I was pretty much gobsmacked by the prospect of a 75K being able to exercise eminent domain over lower elites' seats.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:16 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Or it could have been a handicap passenger?
This iis possibly the scenario, or likely a glitch when a plane with premium class configuration was assigned to the flight (which would explain the "3 days" part.

Because we absolutely aren't allowing 75K's to displace already seated passengers.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missydarlin
This iis possibly the scenario, or likely a glitch when a plane with premium class configuration was assigned to the flight (which would explain the "3 days" part.

Because we absolutely aren't allowing 75K's to displace already seated passengers.
Thanks Missy. But this is what the phone rep stated. They told my husband he had to "reselect" the seat 2 days ago. As for HC, I thought that was pulled out of row 6? I haven't seen that designation since the new redesign. I always avoided selecting those seats because of that risk, but with the relabeling, it appeared to remove those as an HC option. Are you saying that it is still HC? And wouldn't that be noted somewhere in the audit trail?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:50 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Thanks Missy. But this is what the phone rep stated. They told my husband he had to "reselect" the seat 2 days ago. As for HC, I thought that was pulled out of row 6? I haven't seen that designation since the new redesign. I always avoided selecting those seats because of that risk, but with the relabeling, it appeared to remove those as an HC option. Are you saying that it is still HC? And wouldn't that be noted somewhere in the audit trail?
I don't have any of the details, so I can't really help you with your specific flight.

What I can tell you is that the phone rep was incorrect. We don't require passengers to re-select at 3 days prior, and we don't give our 75K's the option to boot someone who's already seated.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Missy. You are a true asset to Alaska Air.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: AS
Phew! I can stop panicking and changing current reservations.
With the E+ rollout, we may have some new surprises to deal with.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pcoll
Phew! I can stop panicking and changing current reservations.
With the E+ rollout, we may have some new surprises to deal with.
I still changed mine. I don't want to be victim to a "glitch" and end up in a middle seat on a flight.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dave1013
Do other airlines allow this practice?
Happens all the time on United

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.